cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possibility to use Rift with a Drone

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have seen various claims of this on YouTube but why nothing official yet?
I'd be looking at using HOTAS & Rift in my home to control an outside drone just to be simple.
Although there is no reason that we could not get to control a drone anywhere in the world outside on G4.
Yes it's probably very possible no doubt but then the consequences of responsibility would be a safety concern.
In UK I heard you now need a pilots license to fly drones in public. Not sure if this has been passed yet nor how this gets Policed either.
If we could potentially hire a drone on the other side of the world under licence to control from home - do it. They only have 30mins radius so it can't be so hard to licence this e.g. for locations hours away from population.
22 REPLIES 22

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I fly a drone in the UK with fpv, no license as of yet. Have to stay under 400ft and away from airfields or airports. I got the yuneec breeze, great bit if kit.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Anonymous
Not applicable
How about the ability to actually fly it from home or even mobile laptop and using HOTAS + headlook of Rift to control the camera?

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Well then you would get into the realm of the UAV and be governed by all the associated air laws......then you would need a license.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Pfft i want airwolf mini!
WAAAGH!

Techy111
MVP
MVP

Morgrum said:

Pfft i want airwolf mini!

Here ya go Sir =

https://youtu.be/9caQVb14PJM

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@Techy111 - I didn't think you needed a licence if the drone weights less then 2Ib..

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Well onc you mount the thermal camera and rifle for the zombie apoc you hit 2lb rather quickly.
WAAAGH!

Techy111
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

@Techy111 - I didn't think you needed a licence if the drone weights less then 2Ib..

250g from Nov 2019 fella = light reading lol = https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/uk-drone-laws-2018-3146402

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Whats next passing a test to ride an ebike no doubt? Or should I say just an ordinary push bike.. Maybe passing a test for pushing a trolly around ASDA, since people are always trying to break my ankles with them..