cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

25% tax on products to US from China

bigmike20vt
Visionary
not sure if this will affect everyone outside of the US.... but something tells me it will, esp for say the rift as its an american company.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is both good and bad. In lots of ways - though it would be cool to work at Oculus finally if they are do open up a shop here :D! hahaha. I live in Missouri so I am always hoping for more companies to start here and spread out to cost to cost:)

Then again 25% increase will be a hard hit to swallow when CV2 hits + the new GPUs.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Shouldn't affect the CV2 or GPUs manufactured by US companies in China, even those manufactured over there. I would have thought that this tax hike would only affect Chinese companies importing into the US.

Oculus and most of the GPU companies are registered in and have large offices in the US.

LZoltowski
Champion
This is teetering on the edge of a political debate, I will allow this topic as long as these conditions are met:
  • No political discussions
  • Conversation stays on topic (technology focused)
  • A civil debate is maintained
Should these not be met I will close the thread immediately. 

Cheers!
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

falken76
Expert Consultant
Everything will go up in cost because the components used to put everything together comes from there.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
My post was not about politics it was about price hikes ! Politics is like watching paint dry to me
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

LZoltowski
Champion

My post was not about politics it was about price hikes ! Politics is like watching paint dry to me

I meant the subject matter can easily cause a political debate, was not referring to you 🙂
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

My understanding is that most stuff like GPU cards are manufactured in China with a few in Taiwan... but a lot of the components are from South Korea, US, Taiwan and China. But to make things a bit more confusing, US tech firms often invest in Chinese companies (take part ownership) to help with restrictions on what technical information can be passed to them, so they can then manufacture their devices and components cheaply via the Chinese company. So I'm a bit unsure of what exactly will get taxed.

But, I believe most high-tech components such as chips, screens etc. right now are South Korean and Taiwanese, if not US. So probably not an issue.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

My understanding is that most stuff like GPU cards are manufactured in China with a few in Taiwan...

this is shamefully ignorant of me, so much so i should not be admittiing it publicly... but I thought Taiwan WAS part of China.....

😞

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

My understanding is that most stuff like GPU cards are manufactured in China with a few in Taiwan...

this is shamefully ignorant of me, so much so i should not be admittiing it publicly... but I thought Taiwan WAS part of China.....

😞

To be fair, it's not that simple...China says Taiwan is part of China, Taiwan says China is part of Taiwan(Well, Taiwan's version of China) and illegally occupied by the people's republic of china.  Depending who you ask.