cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magic leap a genius and legal scam

inovator
Consultant
Magic leap raised over a billion dollars for a product that has been draped in secret for years.now that they are releasing a product they still are secretive. They do a simplistic  demo that was not anywhere as good as their last demo that was prerecorded  (possibly   not real) and when they say they will do a summer release they still are secretive. They won't even tell us the fov. When you release a product u want publicity not secrecy. Here's the answer to great wealth. Come out with a half ass product that is real enough. Have a legit company like at&t  agree to market it. And as CEO you'll never see the inside of a jail cell because the product you came out with was legitimate enough. Absolute genius.
68 REPLIES 68

LZoltowski
Champion
Holy cow, $2,500?!

Requires a White Glove Service?

The Magic Leap One Creator Edition will only be sold via a service called LiftOff, made in partnership with e-commerce startup Enjoy, started by former Apple retail chief Ron Johnson. The service will personally deliver and set up the device for you in-home, ensuring a perfect fit. That's something we've never really seen before. And yes, this reconfirms that Magic Leap One isn't a product for normal, everyday people yet.

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Like to see them set it up with my kids running around  😄
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
For $2500 it better cook my meals, clean my house, and spend snuggle time with me!
WAAAGH!

kojack
MVP
MVP
It's cheaper than a hololens ($3000 for dev version, $5000 for commercial version).
But also seems worse in most ways. It's got a bigger FOV (50 degrees diagonal, Hololens was something like 35-40), but it looks uglier and it has several parts to carry around (glasses and cpu unit are separate).

Apparently it can't handle occlusion by moving objects other than your hands. If a person walks in front of a hologram, it shows through them. (ML say that occluding by moving objects would take too much processing power for now)

The "totem" controller is 6dof, but it is camera tracked. There's no obvious markers on it (like win mr) and if it's IR based like Touch then they'd be covered by your hand, there's no sticking out bits like the Touch ring that have better line of sight. I'm guessing they are using IMU data for orientation (like a Go controller), then the optical hand tracking they have for position. .

It sounds like the software was rather poor at showing off the features. At least one demo has had 5 years of development by a team of 55 people, but it was just a shooting gallery with simpler gameplay than the demo Hololens had 3 years ago.
I guess the truckloads of cash they got didn't go towards demos.

My urge to buy a Zed Mini is getting stronger.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

kojack
MVP
MVP

Holy cow, $2,500?!

Requires a White Glove Service?

The Magic Leap One Creator Edition will only be sold via a service called LiftOff, made in partnership with e-commerce startup Enjoy, started by former Apple retail chief Ron Johnson. The service will personally deliver and set up the device for you in-home, ensuring a perfect fit. That's something we've never really seen before. And yes, this reconfirms that Magic Leap One isn't a product for normal, everyday people yet.

I'm guessing the set up required will be the delivery guy turning down your lights so it doesn't look as transparent. 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

kojack said:

I saw that on Facebook earlier, and it's easily the best review I've read about Magic Leap so far. Highly recommend that others read it (with some coffee, because it's quite long).

Some highlights:

In reality, the dinosaur I see through the Magic Leap One looks genuinely three-dimensional, but pieces start getting cut off when I approach it. When a man walks behind it, I can see him slightly. My headset doesn’t account for relative distance, so it’s impossible for someone to walk in front of the dinosaur, no matter how close they are.

it’s not the kind of revolutionary (or downright magical) advance that Magic Leap has teased for years.

The Magic Leap One’s field of view is constantly distracting. Field of view is a huge problem for mixed reality headsets, which can generally just project images into a moderately sized rectangle in front of you, leaving the rest of the world bare. Magic Leap has improved on Microsoft’s HoloLens in this respect — it’s got a 50-degree diagonal field of view, which works out to a rectangle that’s around 45 percent bigger. But it’s not nearly enough to look around the world normally. Moderately sized objects were cut off if I got too close, and full-room scenes appeared only in patches.

The overall image quality, meanwhile, felt similar to HoloLens. Objects looked three-dimensional, but ethereal. Edges glowed slightly, text was a little fuzzy, and some objects appeared slightly transparent. Tracking was generally good, but objects occasionally shifted or jittered. A few times, animated objects seized up altogether, which might have been an issue with tracking

my Magic Leap One app demos kept highlighting the weaknesses of its technology. I could imagine replacing my television with a virtual screen, but not one that clips in half when I’m not staring straight at it.

he apps also generally just weren’t very novel or interesting. Most were modest riffs on existing HoloLens or phone-based mixed reality experiences, like a generic toybox of 3D props or a Wayfair webapp for visualizing furniture in a room. I didn’t see the ambitious-sounding projects that Rolling Stone described in a glowing profile last year — like a full-fledged narrative sci-fi scene, a virtual comic book, a theme park experience, and a hyper-realistic virtual woman.

So unless Magic Leap is deliberately holding any big projects for a consumer release, I’m not sure what its internal studios and partners have been doing with several years and virtually unlimited funding

Mixed Reality images:

pyroth309
Visionary

snowdog said:

Yup. Magic Leap have the office next door to Chris Roberts and the Star Citizen dev team in the Cayman Islands lol 😮 😄 😄 😄

Not to stray off target, but I'm wondering how CIG hasn't gone belly up yet. They have a staff of 475 people and only raised 180 million.... Roberts has quite the money stretcher to keep so many people on the payroll this long. 

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
The questions have finally started to be asked about the ML hypetrain now the "cat is out of the bag" regarding the hardware performance and quality of demos. In particular, the limited field of view, and the way that ML dances round answering questions on the actual performance - all showing a level of arrogance and concern on being "found out" before their next board review.

To be frank, if this had been launched in 2016 - then they would have deserved a pat on the back and the start of a interesting dialouge towards greater development.

To launch this now, with Hololens 2 and a slew of other AR systems about to hit the streets with lower prices, better performance and a more effective FOV, speaks of a management team that has been mired in incompetence, arrogance and a level of denial through legal obfuscation that will see many investment groups questioning what they signed up for.

Why Disney has not included the Star Wars demo in the mix speaks volumes, as does the actual quality of the laser-gun demo that the ML execs claimed was being used in real time for one of the later demo videos - the wheels are more than wobbling on the ML wagon - but can their deep pockets keep them in the game as a wannabe no matter the level of haters criticism? 

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
I think this article best illustrates my concern for the exec team behind this fiasco:

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959