cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER BSOD Error

hschaefervspati
Explorer
While upgrading my headset to the latest firmware, my computer BSOD'd with a DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER error code. After recovering from the crash, launching the Oculus app would cause the same BSOD error. I've reinstalled oculus, updated my graphics drivers and windows but the issue still occurs. If I unplug the headset's USB the app launches fine, but when plugging the headset back in, it flashes in the device menu with an "Error" status, then causes the BSOD. 

I'm on x64 Windows 10 version 10.0.17134 Build 17134, NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Driver version 398.82, Intel Core i7-6700K

31 REPLIES 31

paul_pedriana
Explorer
This is the NVidia kernel mode GPU driver. Is it OK if we forward the blue screen report to NVidia? And is it OK if we have NVidia comment here or to you directly?

hschaefervspati
Explorer
Yes that would be great!

tyler_byers_16
Explorer
I got a message to install new Oculus firmware last night and now am having this exact same issue after installing the firmware. Same driver is responsible for crash, same error message, etc. So far I have tried un-installing/re-installing various Nvidia drivers, restoring to an earlier backup, checkdisk /r, and basically anything else I found via google for DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER and Nvidia Kernel searches. Nothing has worked. I've reinstalled and repaired Oculus 3-4 times now and it has just gotten weirder each time. Currently it is giving me the "We're having trouble starting Oculus" message. Hope this gets fixed soon. Is there a way to roll back the firmware to do some more testing?

jef32
Explorer
As my earphone system is broken, for me since last update, my Oculus doesn't work anymore. I've opened a ticket, they're working about the issue, they told me but I see i'm not alone to have serious issues since the last update. I wait patiently but I begin to find the time long. All is like as if the rift is unknown by the system.

hschaefervspati
Explorer

I got a message to install new Oculus firmware last night and now am having this exact same issue after installing the firmware. 

Tyler, what graphics card are you using? 

cybereality
Grand Champion
Can you try running "oculus-driver.exe" in:
C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-drivers
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

hschaefervspati
Explorer
Ran the oculus-drivers exe, problem still persists. 

tyler_byers_16
Explorer

I got a message to install new Oculus firmware last night and now am having this exact same issue after installing the firmware. 

Tyler, what graphics card are you using? 

I've got a Clevo P870DM-G with a desktop 980 in it. 

pidge916
Explorer
Hi my name is Manuel and I am part of the NVIDIA Customer Care team.  The Oculus team gave us a heads up about your issue.  We need a full kernel dump to get more information about this issue.  Can you collect a full dump file as described below and then upload it to a file sharing service like Google Drive and email me the link to download the file to driverfeedback@nvidia.com?

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4641

If you zip up the file, it should greatly reduce the size of the file.  Please link to this thread in your email to me so I know which issue your dump file is for.  Also if possible could you fill out the feedback form below so that we have your system configuration to try and setup a system as close to yours as possible to reproduce?

https://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi=6e7ea6bb4a02641fa8f07694a40f8ac6

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm having the exact same issue and i also have the GTX 980. i tried to use some Archive Nvidia drivers since i recebtly updated nvidia drivers AND the Oculus software. To no avail. Is it somehow possible to retrieve the previous version of the oculus software until this gets fixed?