cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will CV1 continue to be manufactured when CV2 arrives?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I ask because if Oculus want people to get into VR, then wouldn't it makes sense to continue with the CV1 as a cheap alternative to CV2? 
90 REPLIES 90

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I hope they get it sorted this year so we can watch live on our headsets, go or rift. Now that would be awesome 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Techy111 said:

I hope they get it sorted this year so we can watch live on our headsets, go or rift. Now that would be awesome 😉

I would think they would, I managed to watch a lot of OC4 live on my Rift last year.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
I said this before on these forums, but I think they need to give away the HMD's for free as part of mobile phone bundles. That way millions more people would buy one.

Let me explain how it works here in the UK: When you take out a phone in the UK you can choose a free gift such as a wide screen TV, laptop, Xbox One, PS4 etc.

This is standard practice here in the UK, I got a free PS4 when I got a new phone. I asked all my friends would they get a Rift and they said yes but it's too expensive but they said they would happily take it for free as part of a phone bundle deal.

These phone deals aren't really free either because it's basically a loan on your credit file that you pay off over a 24 month contract.

Samsung at one point was giving away a free Gear VR for anyone who bought a Samsung phone which was a great idea so I don't see why Oculus can't do something similar.

I think this will happen eventually but not sure why it's taking so long, and then once Microsoft releases a hmd for their console and both Sony and Microsoft bundle their hmd's with their consoles then that will also help to speed things up as well.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yup, I've wondered that too, but the PC requirement might be a problem. If they do decide to do this it's more likely that they'll do this for the Santa Cruz I reckon.

I never go for these 'free' devices with mobile phones cos I'm too tight to pay the extra over a couple of years lol

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I could understand the Go as a giveaway but the rift? No, can you imagine the phone company helpline? It would melt with people saying that their gtx 750 won't run VR. They would have to give high end pc's with the rift. The gear VR still does get given away. I have an unopened one here from Sky but those tight gits never offered me a ps4  😐
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Problem with free stuff on mobile contracts is that they just add the price on so it's not free. Imagine the complaints from people asking why they were given a CV1 that didn't work? Not realising they also needed a PC to use it, and not just any old PC, but a highend PC.. They only give away things that don't require a list of other things.. 

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

Techy111 said:

I could understand the Go as a giveaway but the rift? No, can you imagine the phone company helpline? It would melt with people saying that their gtx 750 won't run VR. They would have to give high end pc's with the rift. The gear VR still does get given away. I have an unopened one here from Sky but those tight gits never offered me a ps4  😐

RedRizla said:

Problem with free stuff on mobile contracts is that they just add the price on so it's not free. Imagine the complaints from people asking why they were given a CV1 that didn't work? Not realising they also needed a PC to use it, and not just any old PC, but a highend PC.. They only give away things that don't require a list of other things.. 

I wouldn't ring my mobile phone company if my PC/laptop/console/hmd wasn't working, I'd either take it back and exchange for a new one or I'd do a manufacturer warranty return.

And as for people getting a Rift that didn't work, I think this would be very rare, just like receiving a DOA (dead on arrival) PS4 or TV etc.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Techy111 said:

RedRizla said:

I wouldn't ring my mobile phone company if my PC/laptop/console/hmd wasn't working, I'd either take it back and exchange for a new one or I'd do a manufacturer warranty return.

And as for people getting a Rift that didn't work, I think this would be very rare, just like receiving a DOA (dead on arrival) PS4 or TV etc.

With a DOA Television or PlayStation you would know it was DOA. With a CV1, how would you know it was DOA unless you had the right PC to test it? Just reading these forums alone there are people who have purchased a CV1, without realising it won't work on their PC because it's to low spec, and that's without the CV1 having a fault..

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

RedRizla said:

Techy111 said:

RedRizla said:

With a DOA Television or PlayStation you would know it was DOA. With a CV1, how would you know it was DOA unless you had the right PC to test it? Just reading these forums alone there are people who have purchased a CV1, not realising it won't work on their PC because it's to low spec, and that's without the CV1 having a fault..

Well, we could go back and forth for hours on this one but I still don't think it's a big issue. 

We need to get HMD's into as many consumer hands as possible and I believe this would be a good way to tackle that part of the puzzle. 

I've spoken to my friends, family and work colleagues who have tried my Rift and enjoyed it and they said they don't want to spend £400 on it but they would happily take it as part of a phone contract.

I think part of this is how people spend money today, a lot of people prefer to buy things over 24 months rather then spend loads of cash on the spot.

I can't imagine this happening with a Rift but a Go yes, great idea, just like the Gear VR was a great idea.

Maybe a subscription service to Oculus Home could include a Santa Cruz?  It needs to be an all-in-one HMD.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3