cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

since 1.29 I have been getting BSOD errors on windows.

KichiK
Honored Guest
So first the facts.
- My computer and oculus were all working fine on 1.28. In fact, I had just rearanged plugs to fix some USB Bus bandwidth issues and was noting how much everything improved just the day before.
- With 1.29 + Oculus core 2.0 the issues begin. Taking away Oculus core 2.0 DOES fix it, but I use the VR desktop option a LOT, so it's really not a great solution.
- I can run Oculus software with the Rift unplugged fine
- I can plug the rift in with HDMI or USB on it's own (obviously it doesn't work, but the computer doesn't crash)
- I can plug in both to run AS LONG AS the software isn't yet running
- When all 4 are together, my second monitor goes blank, my first monitor freezes for a second, then the BSOD occurs.
- Also worth noting, I had it working for a little bit immediately after the update, but the oculus menus in VR were often becoming nonresponsive. Additionally, I noticed that while previously, the "VR Monitor" that Oculus uses for VR desktop interaction was always active as long as the headset was plugged in, it now would disappear until I tried to use the Oculus, then it would appear. I restarted my computer in hopes of fixing this, but that's when I started getting BSODs every time I have Software + Core 2.0 + HDMI + USB all plugged in

I can, in the mean time, run without Core 2.0, but I use in app VR desktop way too often to make that a good long term solutio, as I said. As best i can tell it's an issue with the "VR Monitor" being created. Any help fixing this would be great. I'd normally do more testing first, but I was troubleshooting tracking issues all week before figuring out the USB bandwidth issue (I know, took longer than it should), and didn't have much energy left to deal with this.
14 REPLIES 14

KichiK
Honored Guest
Shoot, this was supposed to be in support, apologies, if a mod can move it there, that'd be great.

Also I am attaching my culus logs zip here. I included the last 3 hours because I've tried once within that time, I am fairly certain I tried about 2 hours ago at last attempt.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Can you take a photo of the blue screen? Also, if you send us the blue screen Windows dump file we can try to diagnose this. Do you know which driver crashed (should say on the blue screen)? You can also run https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html against the blue screen dmp file.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

KichiK
Honored Guest
Here is the bluescreen image. Will get the dump shortly. ytnbepvt0ff0.jpg

KichiK
Honored Guest
And here's the dump file in a zip. I can say, since it started happening I have updated my NVidia drivers just to make sure, it did not help.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Thanks. I will speak with the team.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

pidge916
Explorer
Hello.  My name is Manuel and I am part of the NVIDIA Customer Care team.  We would like to look into your issue but in order to do so, we will need a full Windows dump file from your PC the next time you come across this issue.  Can you collect a full dump file as described below and then upload it to a file sharing service like Google Drive and email me the link to download the file to driverfeedback@nvidia.com?

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4641

If you zip up the file, it should greatly reduce the size of the file.  Please link to this thread in your email to me so I know which issue your dump file is for.  Also if possible could you fill out the feedback form below so that we have your system configuration to try and setup a system as close to yours as possible to reproduce?

https://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi=6e7ea6bb4a02641fa8f07694a40f8ac6

fish998
Explorer
Dunno if it's connected but I just had a BSOD running Fallout 4 VR (via Steam VR), and when I got back into windows (10, 64bit), the Oculus software (1.29) wants me to run setup again as if it's forgotten everything.  I'm NOT on the core 2.0 beta though.  I'm on 398.11 with a GTX1070.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

KichiK said:

I can, in the mean time, run without Core 2.0, but I use in app VR desktop way too often to make that a good long term solutio, as I said. As best i can tell it's an issue with the "VR Monitor" being created. Any help fixing this would be great. I'd normally do more testing first, but I was troubleshooting tracking issues all week before figuring out the USB bandwidth issue (I know, took longer than it should), and didn't have much energy left to deal with this.

If you feel need for a VR desktop I suggest you try Virtual Desktop (from Oculus Store).  I use this within the Original Oculus Home and it works great imho. Personally I'm not a big fan of VR desktops because I find (with my +60yo eyes) they are kinda hard to read and navigate.  I do like to use the Oculus Go browser though.  Mainly because it is very convenient and I find it a lot easier to read and navigate.

Of course your other option is to reinstall the current Oculus Software.  Go to the Oculus setup/download page and download and run the software and select Repair.  This should keep your current apps intact.

https://www.oculus.com/setup/

Then update/reinstall your Oculus drivers.  Make sure your Oculus app is closed.  Assuming you installed Oculus on C drive, go to C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-drivers.  Open and run oculus-driver, then restart your computer afterwards.

I recently got this advice from Oculus support and it did seem to help solve my usb problems that I got after the latest 1.29 firmware update.  Hopefully this will help sort out some of your problems too.  Good luck!

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

KichiK
Honored Guest
Manuel, I am working on getting that Dump file uploaded and sent over, but have done the survey in the meantime.

TomCgcmfc, I have tried an oculus repair install well before making this thread, it did no good. And the reason I like having Desktop access is because most of my VR games are on steam, and if I want to access any other windows, like say a chat window to see if anyone has said anything to me between beat saber tracks, having to take off the headset rather than make a quick glance is very useful. I also have been streaming my beat saber morning workouts, and I like being able to literally just look at chat when I have a moment, rather than taking the whole headset off for just that. And that said, I would like to not have to spent money on a solution here that will be abandoned as soon as my problem is fixed. It's also definitely not a USB problem, as it's listing a GPU driver file as the issue.

Fish998, I think you should make your own thread. Mine seems to be specifically related to how Oculus is now handling setting up the VR monitor for desktop interaction, which is a Core 2.0 feature, and the problem is not related to any specific game software. I could be wrong, but with the tsting I've done so far, I doubt it.