cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Megaton Rainfall - Coming this September

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Looks interesting especially the destruction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb9eQoxtqb4

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
18 REPLIES 18

LZoltowski
Champion
It is on the store! .. and it's only £10 ... I still have credit ... hmmmmmmmm has anyone here actually played this? it looks super good on the trailer.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee

It is on the store! .. and it's only £10 ... I still have credit ... hmmmmmmmm has anyone here actually played this? it looks super good on the trailer.

Unfortunately quite a few people says that it has a lot of graphical and VR adoptable issues like low texture and strange depth adoption. So for now it´s a no from me ... I was quite excited about it though. 😞
Be good, die great !

nrosko
Superstar
Yeah i really can't live with blurry low res textures I hope there is a fix. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Get Airtone instead - just a friendly advice  😉

PS. https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/68346/lists-of-rift-killer-apps-and-games-by-user-ratings-summer-2018#latest

PPS. Spent some time on Megaton Rainfall last evening; unfortunately I don't think the main problems of the game will be fixed, I've asked for a refund. My review from the store (add immersion-breaking soft black borders when turning and that Touch/HMD controls aren't working correctly in the menu, had to use my keyboard):

"The blurriest textures on the Rift?
Extremely blurry game, this game does not respond to Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) at all, thus I can't enable super-sampling (OTT is on, it just doesn't do anything - I've never experienced that before) - and if there's one thing these mega-ton-blurry textures need it's super-sampling. I activated the Oculus Tray Tool HUD for Pixel Density and got - nothing - no value is registered in the HUD. Disabling OTT did nothing either. So this game is special and overrides usual Rift settings. AA and anything with "SSAO MB" resulted in mega-mega-blurry (but antialiased!) textures - simply horribly to look at, like someone dripped liquid butter in my eyes 😉 So do yourself a favor - get the best and most crisp textures by completely disabling AA (and worse) in the menu. I maxed out the other (tesselation) settings with no problem. Using 1080, 7700k, 16GB. Frame rate was great - then again game looks like it's using a super-sampling value of 0.5... It was fun to fly around and this game is based on an awesome idea - but I simply can't - and won't - accept such mega-extremely mega-poor textures. This game in no way represents the awesome quality the Rift is known for, it feels like a badly ported game from the PS4. I will have to refund this game, sorry."

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I might just buy the game for the destruction alone. Never seen a game where you can do that kind of damage. Does anyone know if the 2D version is a separate game to the VR version? 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I blame Magic Leap.

nrosko
Superstar

RuneSR2 said:

Get Airtone instead - just a friendly advice  😉

PS. https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/68346/lists-of-rift-killer-apps-and-games-by-user-ratings-summer-2018#latest

PPS. Spent some time on Megaton Rainfall last evening; unfortunately I don't think the main problems of the game will be fixed, I've asked for a refund. My review from the store (add immersion-breaking soft black borders when turning and that Touch/HMD controls aren't working correctly in the menu, had to use my keyboard):

"The blurriest textures on the Rift?
Extremely blurry game, this game does not respond to Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) at all, thus I can't enable super-sampling (OTT is on, it just doesn't do anything - I've never experienced that before) - and if there's one thing these mega-ton-blurry textures need it's super-sampling. I activated the Oculus Tray Tool HUD for Pixel Density and got - nothing - no value is registered in the HUD. Disabling OTT did nothing either. So this game is special and overrides usual Rift settings. AA and anything with "SSAO MB" resulted in mega-mega-blurry (but antialiased!) textures - simply horribly to look at, like someone dripped liquid butter in my eyes 😉 So do yourself a favor - get the best and most crisp textures by completely disabling AA (and worse) in the menu. I maxed out the other (tesselation) settings with no problem. Using 1080, 7700k, 16GB. Frame rate was great - then again game looks like it's using a super-sampling value of 0.5... It was fun to fly around and this game is based on an awesome idea - but I simply can't - and won't - accept such mega-extremely mega-poor textures. This game in no way represents the awesome quality the Rift is known for, it feels like a badly ported game from the PS4. I will have to refund this game, sorry."

You can turn the black borders off. 
From the clips i have seen it does look to me like it is actually running in a 0.75 px & stuck in low res. If you look at the  2d youtube clips the game looks ok even great. So i don't see a reason those textures cant be enabled. 
I guessing this is more a bout being a lazy psvr port.
I'm not buying it though till i see a presentable game.  

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Maybe the game is less harsh to look at for players used to SS 1.0. But Megaton Rainfall didn't even feel like SS 1.0, it looked far worse - I've been playing Seeking Dawn in SS 1.0 for some time, and Seeking Dawn seemed much less blurry than Megaton Rainfall. 

I know the devs have to move planets in no time and Megaton Rainfall is just 850 MB, but for once Megaton Rainfall is a game where I would have understood if devs needed 50 GB for textures... The Megaton Rainfall trailer looks so much better than the game in VR. 

Had to just start up Wilson's Heart after Megaton Rainfall - Wilson's Heart is a game with textures like they should be in a Rift game! 🙂 Even the Everest climbing game has awesome textures covering many miles, but of course it's not a whole planet. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

nrosko said:

Yeah i really can't live with blurry low res textures I hope there is a fix. 

I don't think you can fix this without changing the textures.