cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER BSOD Error

hschaefervspati
Explorer
While upgrading my headset to the latest firmware, my computer BSOD'd with a DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER error code. After recovering from the crash, launching the Oculus app would cause the same BSOD error. I've reinstalled oculus, updated my graphics drivers and windows but the issue still occurs. If I unplug the headset's USB the app launches fine, but when plugging the headset back in, it flashes in the device menu with an "Error" status, then causes the BSOD. 

I'm on x64 Windows 10 version 10.0.17134 Build 17134, NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Driver version 398.82, Intel Core i7-6700K

31 REPLIES 31

tyler_byers_16
Explorer
Here is my WhoCrashed report. I'll get started on getting the other reports for you guys.

63tiasme92w6.jpg

tyler_byers_16
Explorer
This may also just be my perception, but it seems like my computers is taking longer and longer to report to Microsoft when it crashes. No idea if that is related, but thought I would mention it.

pidge916
Explorer

Here is my WhoCrashed report. I'll get started on getting the other reports for you guys.

63tiasme92w6.jpg

Sorry but we need the full dump file as described in my previous post.  

tyler_byers_16
Explorer

pidge916 said:

63tiasme92w6.jpg

Sorry but we need the full dump file as described in my previous post.  

I tried to submit another post here a few times but it said it is waiting for approval...anyways, when I go the process for that full dump file I get a different BSoD for Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL stemming from myfault.sys. Not sure what to do now. Any advice?

tyler_byers_16
Explorer

pidge916 said:

Hi my name is Manuel and I am part of the NVIDIA Customer Care team.  The Oculus team gave us a heads up about your issue.  We need a full kernel dump to get more information about this issue.  Can you collect a full dump file as described below and then upload it to a file sharing service like Google Drive and email me the link to download the file to driverfeedback@nvidia.com?

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4641

If you zip up the file, it should greatly reduce the size of the file.  Please link to this thread in your email to me so I know which issue your dump file is for.  Also if possible could you fill out the feedback form below so that we have your system configuration to try and setup a system as close to yours as possible to reproduce?

https://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi=6e7ea6bb4a02641fa8f07694a40f8ac6

Hi Manuel, 
I just tried this tonight and actually ended up getting another BSoD... What should I do now?zw61zcyb24cl.jpg

cybereality
Grand Champion
I approved your message and upgraded your account so you won't have this problem again.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

tyler_byers_16
Explorer

I approved your message and upgraded your account so you won't have this problem again.

Thanks!

Wozman420
Honored Guest
I just let it update my headset to the newest firmware and now I'm having exactly the same issue...
I'll try to get a system dump and send it to nvidia, but everything was working fine before the firmware update.

pidge916
Explorer

Wozman420 said:

I just let it update my headset to the newest firmware and now I'm having exactly the same issue...
I'll try to get a system dump and send it to nvidia, but everything was working fine before the firmware update.

Thanks.  Please send it to driverfeedback@nvidia.com

Anonymous
Not applicable
hey guys, just to let you know; i just updated to a GTX 1070 and the problem is GONE (don't worry didn't do it just for this) it is definitely a GTX980 issue