cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Conduct Warnings

Luciferous
Consultant
Hi,

I checked my mail yesterday and apparently somebody has reported me. Not only that it says Oculus agrees with them.

Apparently they can't tell me what I did and the email is from a donotreply. 

This all seems very odd, I mean why warn you and not tell you what you did?  They could at least point to the post with the issue.

I have got to be honest curiosity is burning a hole in my soul. 

So anybody want to guess what I did wrong? You can make it up if you like as long as it's funny 😉

Or maybe the reporter would like to let me know so I can curb my anti-social behavior in future. 

Also do I get an ASBO certificate I can hang in my Oculus home.

What's your opinion on this strange process as it is my first one on here after 5 years on the forum.

How far do you think they can go back in post time to report something. I have checked all my recent posts and it is all pretty innocuous stuff. o:) 

Cheers

'Dear Luciferous,

One or more members of the Oculus community has reported your behavior, and we have determined that your conduct violates the Oculus Code of Conduct and/or Terms of Service.

The Oculus platform is meant to be a safe community to meet and interact with other users in virtual reality. When you engage with others on our platform:

• You may not use any sexually explicit, abusive, obscene, hateful, or racially offensive language.
  • You may not harass, bully, or threaten other users.
  • You may not impersonate an Oculus employee, partner, or representative.

Future violations may result in further action, including but not limited to, suspension or termination of your Oculus account.

Thank you for your cooperation.'

- The Oculus Team

40 REPLIES 40

The only reason I can see for not giving details is that it would likely give a big clue as to who complained and I guess the system is designed to be anonymous, not between the complainant and Oculus but between complainant and the one being complained about.

It makes the whole thing one sided so I completely understand the frustration, it's a bit tricky to sort out though. It's obviously much better to have someone complain to your face... well with an IM at least. I'd much prefer anyone who had a beef with me to tell me then it's easy to sort out, either explain myself or avoid interacting with them.

(that's not an invite to anyone by the way)

Luciferous
Consultant
I know what you mean but saying: 

Someone has accused you of something we can't say who, of what or when and even remotely in what area of the Oculus Universe it happened in but don't do it again.

Surely they can be a little less vague because I have no absolute clue what they are talking about which is proof the system does not work.

They are clearly assuming I know what the offense is and when it happened so letting me know:
  1. When it happened
  2. Where it happened (minimum at least of  In-Game, forum, naked outside the Oculus Offices)
  3. What I am accused of instead of quoting the entire Oculus rule book
For all I know they are accusing me of impersonating an Oculus Employee by dressing up in drag as Cyber. (;) knowing your preference for female avatars of course)

I am betting if it was my son then it was this one:
  • You may not harass, bully, or threaten other users
The Harass bit and how do you define this in game. How somebody plays in a FPS shooter could be defined as any of them (depending if they mean verbally that is and he is told not to talk to people, plus he is a very young 13, with a very squeaky voice. I cannot imagine anybody being threatened or bullied by him.)

We had a similar system at work, complaints were anonymous but I assume they must have had to be a bit specific about what the complaint was, so yeah, there's a balance to be found somewhere in there! Maybe Oculus need to adjust their balance a bit and at least give a clue.

kojack
MVP
MVP
Oculus do tend to stay quiet on reasons.
Identifying the complainer is certainly a problem in some circumstances, due to possible retaliation.
But it's also hard to not do something again if you don't know what it was you did the first time.

They do the same with order cancelling. They apparently won't tell you why an order is cancelled because that would give a clue to scammers as to how they were caught. (although most of the time it's probably just that the shipping and payment country don't match).

plus he is a very young 13, with a very squeaky voice. I cannot imagine anybody being threatened or bullied by him.)

You know, that might be the reason. Not for the warning, but the reason someone complained. I've seen a bunch of people on here ranting about young children being in games. Someone might have just heard the voice and decided to fake a complaint.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Luciferous
Consultant
Well I don't let him play games too old for him on the Oculus, I think the only thing he plays multiplayer is Lone Echo. He was playing the combat version. I didn't check that age on that but surely that is not 18.

At the moment I have loaded multiplayer games:

1. Lone Echo
2. Dead and Buried
3. Arizona Sunshine but he is not allowed to play that and finding someone in that game to play with is a miracle in itself.

In-fact I am struggling trying to think of a multiplayer game I own that is too old for him. I have Onward and Pavlov but both are in Steam. 

Again as I am completely in the dark here I have no idea.

I guess I'll never know but thanks everybody for your responses at least I got to discuss it with someone, if not Oculus.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Take it from someone who has been banned 7 times,

Everything is going to be alright.
❤️

Luciferous
Consultant
Thank you for the virtual hug 😄 I shall try to staaay strong...

but have you been banned from your Oculus account? This is what it claims in the email. I presume your forum bans only mean the forum not actually from playing on your Oculus? A person would have invested in a Rift and all the games in Steam and Oculus and would not be able to access them even off line.

It would be the equivalent of buying a car and the dealership deactivating it remotely a week later because somebody phoned them and said you had cut them up. Of course they couldn't tell you that.

If they banned me without explanation and no evidence based on that I would be very angry. I am not saying they are going to just point of principal.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
You said something about Oculus agreeing or finding you guilty without asking you (it's a long time since the 1st post....) but it could simply have been a screenshot or three of something in text chat that someone didn't like. hard to argue - I know they can be edited/manipulated of course - but game mods tend to accept such evidence.

Can only remember one occasion where I've formally reported someone (BF2 - a player was using the floor hack and bragging about it openly in text chat, so he was asking for it, really). I took half a dozen screenshots and sent them off to evenbalance and the guy was perma-banned. They were very grateful, too.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Luciferous
Consultant
Thanks Briximis,

Yes could be that, I think I now have about 50 possible scenarios. 

I am not saying something didn't happen, if my son did do something I want to know about it but I can hardly punish him based on the information from that distant black hole, that is the Oculus complaints department.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
0kfclp50q1aq.jpg
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.