cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STAR VR has something cooking

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
https://www.starvr.com/ - some competition for Pimax maybe?

Discuss...

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
145 REPLIES 145

kojack said:

the company i work for has been around for 20 years - never sold to a single consumer in all that time.  It is the home users who are joining industry.

Well, consumer VR has been available for at least 23 years. 🙂

Did i say 20, i meant to say 24...  lol

Point being nobody but 20% of the posters on MTBS3D were using a HMD in those 23 years.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

vannagirl
Consultant
Mmmm unsure so many personal attacks / patronizing on Snowdog are required.

Anyhoows

yes i thought StarVR have always been consistent with we are going for the commercial sector, since as long as i remember them now. I can see why people might feel the message has changed though, a lot has changed with VR since their inception.
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Again, there's no venom or wishful thinking on my part. I don't want HTC to go bust.

And you know full well that the majority, if not all, of that $2bn has paid off debts. If they still had a good chunk of that cash left they wouldn't have had to lay off 20% of their work force.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@Hiro_Protag0nist - You can't get away from the fact that it would have very limited use as a business only device. And if you were to build VR Arcades for a bigger audience, then it would only make people want a VR headset for home use, which is why Xbox/Playstations consoles came along and took over arcade sometime ago now.

Now VR is out there in homes you can't just reel it all back in and pretend it didn't happen. Oculus would be silly to turn it's back on a consumer device. The other companies might be turning to businesses because they know Oculus/HTC lead the way in the consumer market and there's no where for them to get a foot hold in it. 

I still have to laugh when people say that VR is expensive. The headset itself is cheap at £399 and there's a lot of PC gamers out there who are already equipped to have VR. Hardware will drop in price for other PC users, so eventually the cost of a PC to have VR won't be expensive..

LZoltowski
Champion

kevinw729 said:

@snowdog - you really like those sweeping assumption. B)

You really must try and rain in that venom, it will make you sick again. 

@kevin729 if you could dial down the high horse just a tiny bit I would appreciate it, fella. You could try arguing in a debate without having to put someone down constantly. Far more challenging that way. Rule number 1 in a debate, discuss the topic, not the debater. 🙂 In this instance snowdog has not deserved the ferocity of your responses.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

RedRizla said:

@Hiro_Protag0nist - You can't get away from the fact that it would have very limited use as a business only device. And if you were to build VR Arcades for a bigger audience, then it would only make people want a VR headset for home use, which is why Xbox/Playstations consoles came along and took over arcade sometime ago now.

Now VR is out there in homes you can't just reel it all back in and pretend it didn't happen. Oculus would be silly to turn it's back on a consumer device. The other companies might be turning to businesses because they know Oculus/HTC lead the way in the consumer market and there's no where for them to get a foot hold in it. 

I'm 100% for home use and by god i hope it never goes away, i just wanted to remind some that business use has never gone away and has been pretty big for many years.  Also, probably my mistake but i'm really not talking about arcade use either.  I know on the forum we tend to talk about 2 areas only - home use and arcades (which some class as business) - i'm talking about in the work-place, for engineers, architects etc.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
There's no point in VR ever leaving the consumer market now, because it would only return in a few years time. Things like 4K screens will become the norm in a few years time and the hardware to run it will cheap enough to buy.. 

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

RedRizla said:
I'm really interested to hear what the sad news is going to be? I think if VR was just going to be sold to businesses from now on then it will definitely die a death. Expensive VR headsets could be made before Oculus Rift was ever mentioned, so why didn't businesses take advantage of them back then?

But we did take advantage of them then @RedRizia!
The nVIS system was used from 1998 to 2017 in the VR entertainment scene - being one of the most successful VR attractions to date (DisneyQuest). And a number of other operations used Sony HMZ's back in the day leading up to the Oculus Kickstarter.

5ke89n7ba0du.png
(Image - NISSAN ParaGlide VR 2013)

s0ag8pl91xhs.png
(Image - SCISHOOT VR 2011*) [*picture from 2012, but launched 2011]

I know it is hard (if not uncomfortable) for some to admit that OVR was not the first VR system - and that there was a business bumbling along in the background long before this. The key element that the current phase of VR brought to the table was forcing down prices and taking a new look at the tech employed. Lighthouse has been great, but many of us are still using OptiTrak (the same system we used back in the 1990's!!)

...I think if VR was just going to be sold to businesses from now on then it will definitely die a death.

I noticed a fatalism recently from some of the hard cord VR consumer fans - the attitude of, if it is not going to be first in the my home then I don't want it, and I hope it dies! The "petulant child" attitude who works out that what was promised is not going to happen, and that a different path is being taken to adoptance! We saw the same comment back in 2015 when the "Descend the Wall" VR attraction first opened, and this forums saw people complaining about not running on their DK1 and if they cant have it then they hope it fails!!!

Look at it this way @RedRiza - in the short term the only sector seeing money from VR deployment is Out-of-Home (OOH) entertainment, (oh, and the legal teams in the law suit!), with installations in the thousands. This will carry on till say 2020 when the consumer market gets its second generation systems and a second attempt at achieving the promise. By then we in OOH will either have to find a new immersive system to deploy to compete - or we will once again sweep up the consumer HMD's and deploy them profitably into the OOH sector.

The issue is for those manufacturers that were sold-a-line that consumer VR was going to be big now! and warranted their investment in manufacturing. This was obviously miss guided and can be seen by how the way those that made these inflated claims no longer work in the industry! Jump back to my first posts in 2014 and you will see the perspective has not changed, its just the critics that have "changed"!

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

RedRizla said:

There's no point in VR ever leaving the consumer market now, because it would only return in a few years time. Things like 4K screens will become the norm in a few years time and the hardware to run it will cheap enough to buy.. 

Totally agree, should be a symbiotic relationship as was proposed back in 1999 and again in 2012 - where the OOH business support the cross over to consumer and visa versa - a little bit how the arcade scene worked near the end with the NAMCO arcade hardware going into the PSX - and the whole Dreamcast proposal (and NeoGeo).

The idea that one sector dominates over another was a greedy and miss guided approach, and was linked more to vested interests than to a business model that was workable. With the investment that OOH is placing in VR at the moment there will be some serious cost reduction benefits on the horizon - but I am still not sure that Next-Gen HMD's will still be worth the candle in 2019 for consumers?
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

RedRizla said:

Though your history is skewed a little, I have no argument with this.

The point I would correct is that the PSX derided its tech from the NAMCO System12 amusement boards - and in a licensing deal with Sony they were able to use cost reduce amusement based chipsets to make their console! And if you look into the DirectX birth of the XBone you will also see the Martin Marrieta deal with SEGA and their reduced cost amusement chipset!

The reality is that the amusement industry became complacent and allowed their business to fester, and failed to update or innovate - console did not kill arcade, as amusement is still a profitable business. Its just that console became much more attractive as a gaming medium and invested more. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

To the point - yes OOH is a limited sum for entertainment, but a profitable one. And yes hopefully use of VR in OOH will drive those to try it and support it at home - but how many years off is that - and I think its more likely that successful OOH VR will cause a "Space Invaders" moment were consumer try's to emulate an experience achieved out of home.