When Will HTC Go Bust? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

When Will HTC Go Bust?

snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,890 Valuable Player
I think they'll go under before the end of the year.

What do you guys and girls think..?
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

When Will HTC Go Bust? 26 votes

Before the end of this year
3%
snowdog 1 vote
Some time during next year
26%
CalibosCydakzintziZenbaneMorgrumDigikid1ElusiveMarlin 7 votes
They won't go bust and will release the Vive 2 without a problem
34%
MikeFDevtronLuluViBritanniaThmoasChazmeisterColdsnap500PabbertRuneSR2thealbinoraven 9 votes
They won't go bust because they'll be bought out
34%
RiftFlyerRedRizlaLZoltowskiTadinShocksOculusBeastyBaiterKlodsBrikNemaynbeccaberri 9 votes

Comments

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,791 Valuable Player
    Primarx will buy them out and release the Vive 1.6.

Resolution of 2900 x 1609 and the promise of Knuckles in 2020.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,515 Valuable Player
    LOL I doubt Pimax is in a position to buy anything.

But I will tell you, I hope no one goes under - can't see that as being anything but negative for the fledgling VR industry.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,546 Valuable Player
    Can we add one that says - when will HTC start to sell off parts of its operation?
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,247 Valuable Player
    I'm voting under the context of the question (not necessarily because I'm hoping they go bust lol)

If it happens, it likely wouldn't be until next year. But anything is possible!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,756 Volunteer Moderator
    kevinw729 said:
    Can we add one that says - when will HTC start to sell off parts of its operation?
    I actually agree that should be an option too, not the whole of HTC would be bought, just the relevant assets. 
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,002 Valuable Player
    Yes, Huge corps rarely go bust as such, just resell or refinance.
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    edited August 2018
    I thought HTC's best assets have already been sold during the first round of buyouts, or do they still have some high valued IP other than the Valve that they can pawn?
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,890 Valuable Player
    Can't edit the poll unfortunately but you can always choose the last option. Not a great deal of difference between the two options tbh.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,928 Volunteer Moderator

I have no idea but I don't see Valve allowing Oculus to eat into their software business too much so they'll maintain alternative hardware availability one way or another.

If HTC get to the point of going under, Valve will purchase the VR intellectual property and continue manufacturing hardware either themselves (or whoever they use to manufacture their Steam kit) or employ another manufacturer.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
    Interesting that no one has yet to point that... Palmer would likely buy the Vive if HTC started going belly up!
    :D
  • ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 400
    Trinity
    Now with HTC being more VR focused since they sold most of the mobile phones dept to Google, what if Oculus bought HTC .......
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 912
    3Jane
    I hope they don’t go bust because competition is good. 
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,756 Volunteer Moderator
    Yeah if HTC VR collapsed, Oculus would become the Nvidia of VR .. which is not a good thing. 
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    But Google and Pimax and Derp VR is supposed to be giving Oculus all the competition, right? Look at all the organizations backing Khronos group!! Sooo much vewy vewy scawy competition out there.

Vive should be able to go bye-bye and competition would remain at its peak. If I'm taking everything I've read over the past year literally.

(Note: Derp VR is shorthand for everyone in VR who is "not" Facebook or Oculus).
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,366 Valuable Player
    Wont Google just use HTC to bring out the next HMD? They did bail them out and working hard on the mobile in china - wouldn't that still mean HTC ows Google something? At the end of the day - stock will be giving out - meaning they will own the technology, no? 
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,515 Valuable Player
    I somehow doubt that Oculus views Pimax as that serious a competitor.
    Maybe they will surprise a lot of folks though whenever they do get their product to market.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
    edited August 2018
    Mradr said:
    Wont Google just use HTC to bring out the next HMD? They did bail them out and working hard on the mobile in china - wouldn't that still mean HTC ows Google something? At the end of the day - stock will be giving out - meaning they will own the technology, no? 

Google bought some of HTC's mobile phone IP, and they plan to get their moneys worth from that. Google doesn't appear interested in the Vive itself. That aint where the money is at with HTC, or so it seems.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Google IP Buyout of HTC went something like this,

"HLAP! HLAP!"
    -HTC

"Alright calm down. I have the cash. What do you got?"
    -Google

"Check out this Vive. Plus, ooohh Vive Pro!"
    -HTC

"I meant... what do you got that's worth more than zero dollars?"
    -Google

"Oohh. Well, all our smart phone stuff which keeps us afloat..."
    -HTC

"I'll take it!"
    -Google

"K.... FML"
    -HTC

Yeah if HTC VR collapsed, Oculus would become the Nvidia of VR .. which is not a good thing. 

This is something that I'm VERY concerned about. Once Oculus do what I'm expecting them to do next year and release a 4K headset at a decent price that doesn't need a supercomputer to run the thing then I can't see ANYONE being able to compete.

Why buy a Vive Pro or Pimax 8K X for over a grand when you can get a 4K Rift for $700/$800? That's able to run on today's VR Ready PCs?

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 491
    Trinity
    edited August 2018
    I hope they don't go bust, it is far too early in VR life to have such companies going under, we need more taking up VR, not companies being skittish and not dipping their toes into Vr because they watched others go down the tube, VR can't afford that is this point.
    More taking up vr and succeeding = Good for vr and us. :) 
    Less taking up VR in fear of failure + Bad for VR and us. :(

• ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 400
    Trinity
    edited August 2018
    OmegaM4N said:
    I hope they don't go bust, it is far too early in VR life to have such companies going under, we need more taking up VR, not companies being skittish and not dipping their toes into Vr because they watched others go down the tube, VR can't afford that is this point.

If HTC does go belly up, I think it could spell bad new for Valve and STEAMVR.  From my understanding, Valve is licensing their VR tech (which the manufacturer has to pay to Valve), and the default storefront for LightHouse based tech is STEAM (which Valve gets a 2nd source of revenue from).
    This could be the reason some manufacturers, who are already skittish of VR, are being even more so since the main "Open Platform" is basically a way to make money for Valve, while the hardware manufacturer takes most of the risk.

Valve may have to loosen up some of their fees and perhaps start revenue sharing their VR games purchased. Like if someone buy a game on STEAM with a Vive headset; 25% goes to Valve, 5% goes back to HTC.  Other business sectors participate in revenue sharing, this could be an option for Valve to entice more VR manufacturers.

i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    edited August 2018
    Can I throw a thought game into the mix.

I ran through the options that Valve must have placed in the "users agreement" for all parties that signed up to using their basic "Valves bumper book of VR patents" (VBBoVP). We know that LG seems less keen to use it and have back out - while HTC and Pimax have signed up fully. Rumor has it that StarVR are also looking to use aspects of it (Lighthouse 2.0).

So my point, can Valve taketh as well as giveth?

If Valve woke up tomorrow, and said - hey HTC is in a spot of bover, I think we will remove their use of the VBBoVP!

Could they, or would they, do it? Say if the VR division fragmented would the license to use the VBBoVP go?
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,978 Valuable Player
    We can only hope..... >:)
    snowdog said:
    This is something that I'm VERY concerned about. Once Oculus do what I'm expecting them to do next year and release a 4K headset at a decent price that doesn't need a supercomputer to run the thing then I can't see ANYONE being able to compete.

Can I ask what you think that "decent price" would be?
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    kevinw729 said:
    snowdog said:

$800 or lower for the full bundle, $700 or lower for the standalone headset. The Pimax 8K X is going to be over a grand, as will be the 4K Vive 2 in 2020, assuming that HTC are still in business by then.

As well as the high price of the headset Pimax will also have a problem with the PC requirements.

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,565
    Project 2501
    OmegaM4N said:

I totally agree. It will just create a lot of bad press. You'll see a ton of "Is VR dead?" articles. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,791 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    kevinw729 said:
    snowdog said:

$800 or lower for the full bundle, $700 or lower for the standalone headset. The Pimax 8K X is going to be over a grand, as will be the 4K Vive 2 in 2020, assuming that HTC are still in business by then.

As well as the high price of the headset Pimax will also have a problem with the PC requirements.

Ye bastard - i'm sure you promised about 500 squid a couple of weeks ago.  Worse than Palmer Luckey himself!

Hang on a minute...  and we all thought that Zen was Palmer.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Posts: 163
    Art3mis
    Not enough options; I don't know whether there will be a Vive 2, but at the very least I expect they'll keep doing their thing and experience a long tail.
    snowdog said:
    kevinw729 said:
    snowdog said:

Ye bastard - i'm sure you promised about 500 squid a couple of weeks ago.  Worse than Palmer Luckey himself!

Hang on a minute...  and we all thought that Zen was Palmer.

My previous figure is a best case scenario, that figure above is a worst case scenario.

edited August 2018

HTC may very well prolong their life now that they have opened up VivePort compatibility with the Rift!

The Oculus Rift is finally welcome in Viveport, HTC's VR store.

You'll be able to easily see which titles are compatible with the Vive and Rift, thanks to small icons in every listing. Oculus owners can also filter out all of the titles that won't work with their headsets.

HTC says developers can choose to list their games as Oculus compatible today, and titles that have been tweaked to work with the OpenVR standard should be ready to go.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/08/16/oculus-rift-htc-viveport-vr/

The article does chastise Oculus a bit for the DRM check back in 2016, which I think is a low blow since we've all moved beyond that after nearly 2 years. Ignoring that piece of the article (which does feel is bait), I'm wondering how this could potentially play out for Oculus' approach to their own Store. I imagine nothing will change in terms of Oculus' perceived hardware exclusivity, and in the end this is likely just HTC needing to generate more Revenue.

I feel like this move by HTC is less of a symbol about "VR for Everyone" and more of a strategic move to gain competitive advantage. But that's just a hunch.

:)