cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Will HTC Go Bust?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think they'll go under before the end of the year.

What do you guys and girls think..?
52 REPLIES 52

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Interesting that no one has yet to point that... Palmer would likely buy the Vive if HTC started going belly up!
😄

ShocksVR
Superstar
Now with HTC being more VR focused since they sold most of the mobile phones dept to Google, what if Oculus bought HTC .......
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

cybernettr
Superstar
I hope they don’t go bust because competition is good. 

LZoltowski
Champion
Yeah if HTC VR collapsed, Oculus would become the Nvidia of VR .. which is not a good thing. 
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
But Google and Pimax and Derp VR is supposed to be giving Oculus all the competition, right? Look at all the organizations backing Khronos group!! Sooo much vewy vewy scawy competition out there.

Vive should be able to go bye-bye and competition would remain at its peak. If I'm taking everything I've read over the past year literally.

(Note: Derp VR is shorthand for everyone in VR who is "not" Facebook or Oculus).

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wont Google just use HTC to bring out the next HMD? They did bail them out and working hard on the mobile in china - wouldn't that still mean HTC ows Google something? At the end of the day - stock will be giving out - meaning they will own the technology, no? 

Anonymous
Not applicable
I somehow doubt that Oculus views Pimax as that serious a competitor.
Maybe they will surprise a lot of folks though whenever they do get their product to market.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:

Wont Google just use HTC to bring out the next HMD? They did bail them out and working hard on the mobile in china - wouldn't that still mean HTC ows Google something? At the end of the day - stock will be giving out - meaning they will own the technology, no? 

Google bought some of HTC's mobile phone IP, and they plan to get their moneys worth from that. Google doesn't appear interested in the Vive itself. That aint where the money is at with HTC, or so it seems.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Google IP Buyout of HTC went something like this,

"HLAP! HLAP!"
-HTC

"Alright calm down. I have the cash. What do you got?"
-Google

"Check out this Vive. Plus, ooohh Vive Pro!"
-HTC

"I meant... what do you got that's worth more than zero dollars?"
-Google

"Oohh. Well, all our smart phone stuff which keeps us afloat..."
-HTC

"I'll take it!"
-Google

"K.... FML"
-HTC

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah if HTC VR collapsed, Oculus would become the Nvidia of VR .. which is not a good thing. 

This is something that I'm VERY concerned about. Once Oculus do what I'm expecting them to do next year and release a 4K headset at a decent price that doesn't need a supercomputer to run the thing then I can't see ANYONE being able to compete.

Why buy a Vive Pro or Pimax 8K X for over a grand when you can get a 4K Rift for $700/$800? That's able to run on today's VR Ready PCs?