cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

World of Reddit (Linux Added)

conlan
Honored Guest
Browse your favorite website in 3D! Surf around subreddits and connect your Reddit account to upvote/downvote!

Download:
[WINDOWS v0.16]
[OSX v0.16]
[Linux v0.17]

===============================
Controls
===============================

= Toggle Oculus Rift on / off

= Authenticate Reddit account

• [ESC] = Quit

= Move Forward
= Strafe Left
= Move Back
= Strafe Right
• Hold [SHIFT] for faster movement

= Rise down
• [Space] = Rise up

=...

I've posted more details and thoughts on my blog here. Really curious to see what people think and if they have any ideas/suggestions around these questions:

How to make text-only posts interesting?
What other Reddit features would you like to see? Search? Saving posts? Sharing posts? Viewing a specific subreddit by name?
What about customization? Would users like to determine the positions of subreddits themselves or do they prefer a fixed, persistent map?

I'm hoping to add Razer Hydra support soon!
32 REPLIES 32

cybereality
Grand Champion
Nice!
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

onepoint21
Honored Guest
This is cool. Really nice project

AnotherAtreyu
Protege
This is absolutely awesome.
About the only thing I can complain about is the fact that I can't turn using my mouse. I would think that most people would prefer to have the option to surf reddit from their couches without the need to get up and physically turn around, or walk backwards.

It would be cool to see an option to blow up the reddit post you are currently looking at to a larger size, I would love to see that get added for the future!

Keep up the excellent work! 🙂
“If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.” (~I really gotta remember this shiz~) ― Yogi Bhajan

conlan
Honored Guest
"HappyHimitsu" wrote:
This is absolutely awesome.
About the only thing I can complain about is the fact that I can't turn using my mouse. I would think that most people would prefer to have the option to surf reddit from their couches without the need to get up and physically turn around, or walk backwards.

It would be cool to see an option to blow up the reddit post you are currently looking at to a larger size, I would love to see that get added for the future!

Keep up the excellent work! 🙂

Thanks! I'll work on enabling the mouse while the rift is connected. I think the Hydra controls will also need some sort of assisted turning as well.

When you look at a post it should download the full res version of the image, but did you mean scaling it up even further? I've definitely noticed that some images come out weird when they have a rectangular ratio...

drash
Heroic Explorer
This is just the sort of envelope-stretching app I like to see! Very creative. I never would of imagined browsing quite like this. I love reddit, as I'm sure many millions do, so I'll give you some of the thoughts that came to mind:

I like the background sounds, especially in the beginning near the /r/frontpage where it just sounds like you're in a very social area. Super fitting and I like it a lot. The sound that you've picked for certain other subreddits can be distracting, though. The NSFW one has too much giggling, and the gaming one has too much explosive stuff going on, so it just kind of keeps me from being able to focus on the content. Overall, having a different sound for each subreddit is a really awesome touch!

Aspect ratio is definitely something you'll have to take a look at as it ruins a lot of the images that show up. However, I did like that I could see more clearly if I get closer. You've got that part down. Maybe if there is a lot of detail in a small area you can have the player's IPD shrink when you get really close to something so that they aren't going cross-eyed trying to read something small. (I didn't go cross-eyed or get *that* close, but I can imagine situations where there might be tiny detail that one would like to look at).

Can't turn around -- as was already mentioned, this was a huge flaw in the movement controls. You've got all the FPS-style controls in place except being able to to turn around and once you remedy that it will make all the difference in allowing the player to move around at will, and easily look at things from all sides.

I found that the N key is pretty hard for me to locate while the Rift is on. All the other keys are in the vicinity of WASD, so maybe there could be another key nearby for this?

I personally found that using C and Spacebar for fall and rise felt very backwards to me. I can understand if you meant for Space to be the classic jump/up button and C for crouch or something, but the way they are reversed vertically, it's hard to get used to (for me, at least).

Is there any way to customize the subreddits that I see? If I authenticate my reddit account, will it pull down the subreddits I've subscribed to and show those? If not, that would be another killer feature!

That's about it. Awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing this! 🙂
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

conlan
Honored Guest
"drash" wrote:
This is just the sort of envelope-stretching app I like to see! Very creative. I never would of imagined browsing quite like this. I love reddit, as I'm sure many millions do, so I'll give you some of the thoughts that came to mind:

I like the background sounds, especially in the beginning near the /r/frontpage where it just sounds like you're in a very social area. Super fitting and I like it a lot. The sound that you've picked for certain other subreddits can be distracting, though. The NSFW one has too much giggling, and the gaming one has too much explosive stuff going on, so it just kind of keeps me from being able to focus on the content. Overall, having a different sound for each subreddit is a really awesome touch!

Aspect ratio is definitely something you'll have to take a look at as it ruins a lot of the images that show up. However, I did like that I could see more clearly if I get closer. You've got that part down. Maybe if there is a lot of detail in a small area you can have the player's IPD shrink when you get really close to something so that they aren't going cross-eyed trying to read something small. (I didn't go cross-eyed or get *that* close, but I can imagine situations where there might be tiny detail that one would like to look at).

Can't turn around -- as was already mentioned, this was a huge flaw in the movement controls. You've got all the FPS-style controls in place except being able to to turn around and once you remedy that it will make all the difference in allowing the player to move around at will, and easily look at things from all sides.

I found that the N key is pretty hard for me to locate while the Rift is on. All the other keys are in the vicinity of WASD, so maybe there could be another key nearby for this?

I personally found that using C and Spacebar for fall and rise felt very backwards to me. I can understand if you meant for Space to be the classic jump/up button and C for crouch or something, but the way they are reversed vertically, it's hard to get used to (for me, at least).

Is there any way to customize the subreddits that I see? If I authenticate my reddit account, will it pull down the subreddits I've subscribed to and show those? If not, that would be another killer feature!

That's about it. Awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing this! 🙂

Thanks Drash! Yeah looks like assisted turning is definitely the next thing to fix. And good point on the key, I'll change it to and change oculus toggling to since it's not used often.

Good idea on the subscriptions. Currently when you authenticate you can only upvote/downvote but I'm thinking there should be a "home" area you could fly to which would have your subscribed subreddits.

Any thoughts on displaying text-only posts in a more interesting fashion? It could get too cumbersome to cram them onto the block (blocks would then have to be *really* big). A couple ideas:

• Have a large sky billboard that you could display a post image/text up on it.
• Scroll the text within the block similar to how deviant art does it with poems.
• Some other HUD / dashboard with a scrolling text ticker.

tjmage1
Honored Guest
This has a lot of potential. I'd just like to point out that your prompt for exiting the app after pressing escape doesn't render correctly on both eyes for the oculus.

Keep working on it though, this is really cool!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Neat idea! What about gamifying this? Turn it into a corridor shooter with random reddit-monsters/zombies.. Shoot them to downvote. Alt fire to upvote. I dunno.. Might be hard to read them quickly enough given the Rift's resolution, and it kind-of goes against proper reddiquette.. But it could still be fun I think. ;]

conlan
Honored Guest
Thanks @tjmage1 -- I'll get on fixing that too.

@phillipfoshee -- Thanks! I thought about making each action a gun that shoots out "upvote" or "downvote" bullets. That would definitely gamify it some. Maybe it should be a mode that people can toggle for when they want to experience reddit seriously versus having fun 🙂