cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone noticed that blacks are no longer true black?

LZoltowski
Champion
I have been playing some dark games recently and noticed that the blacks are not true black anymore, years ago I managed to get true blacks with turning the SPUD off but now it seems to be back. It's that strange greyish grain that seems to be stuck onto the lens. I only just noticed it after wondering some dark dungeons.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
28 REPLIES 28

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee
So, check spud?

Wildt
Consultant
Deffo!

Recently it's given me grief in both Form and Robinson. It annoyed me enough to try figure out if something was wrong with my setup/settings, but then I quickly noticed that during loading screens and in-game menus etc. there were true blacks, so I left it with the conclusion that it was a design choice to minimize black smear.

In Robinson it was particularly bad in the "Graveyard" section of the map, and in several of the dark intersections between the open areas.

I also remember telling the Samson who made the Doom3 mod, that his latest update had ruined the blacks. Turns out some parts of the game just had better blacks than others. It's like there was some sort of global gamma setting that was knocked up in certain parts of the game.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

LZoltowski
Champion

TwoHedWlf said:

So, check spud?

I have tried turning it on or off with little difference, flushing the spud file or trying to regenerate the mash, no difference.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
I did notice it, but only during launch. In-game the blacks are alright on my side.
Whatever went wrong, this is definitely due to the firmware update. Maybe try reinstalling it?

Wildt
Consultant

I did notice it, but only during launch. In-game the blacks are alright on my side.
Whatever went wrong, this is definitely due to the firmware update. Maybe try reinstalling it?

Makes no sense that a firmware should only produce poor blacks in CERTAIN parts of the same game.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Having no problems with blacks in Elite: Dangerous.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Wildt : Meh, nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to glitches xD. I stand my point : reinstalling the software may erase the problems.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Are you using an NVIDIA card and set it to Full Dynamic Range?
This gets reset after any graphic or major OS update.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I just checked The Blu - Luminous Abyss, it's the blackest app I can think of 😉 - In that app it's easy to see that blacks are no longer true black. There's a clear gray pixel cloud where it should be true black. 

Now, I don't feel like straining my nice relationship with Oculus support, I vote for LZoltowski to submit the ticket!!  😉

My thought was that maybe Oculus engineers made the gray filter to reduce God rays, but I really would love to get those beautiful OLED blacks back. The ability to show true black is one of the main advantages of OLED: if someone from Oculus read this, please give us back the true black! (Or let us know if we're imagining things - but I don't think we are) 

But do try The Blu - Luminous Abyss - am I alone here? 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"