Oculus Rift with GTX 970 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Rift with GTX 970

LemonMadnessLemonMadness Posts: 14
NerveGear
Hi everyone, I was wondering if FPS would be an issue with the Oculus.
Here my specs:
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB DDR5
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz
Ram: 20GB (two 8GB slots and a 4GB slot)

Comments

• JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    Depends what you want to do with it. For most stuff you'll be alright, for some sims and games you will struggle a bit.

• LemonMadnessLemonMadness Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    Brixmis said:
    Depends what you want to do with it. For most stuff you'll be alright, for some sims and games you will struggle a bit.
    Oh, that's good to ear, thanks!
    By "struggle a bit" how much are we talking about? Is it bearable?
    I don't know. If you like Fallout 4 and Skyrim, you're unlikely to have an acceptable experience in VR. Probably some others at the top end of the performance scale.

Same with DCS World 2.5 (though 1.5 should be okay).

I started in VR with a 970 and it was fine for the first year or so before getting a 1060 6GB instead, which is definitely better.
    At that time, some titles were not yet available in VR.

I didn't have any issues with games I played that were made for VR - but that doesn't mean all VR games are okay on a 970, but enough are to make it worth it.

NerveGear
    I started in VR with a 970 and it was fine for the first year or so before getting a 1060 6GB instead, which is definitely better.

I didn't have any issues with games I played that were made for VR - but that doesn't mean all VR games are okay on a 970, but enough are to make it worth it.
    Nice. I'm planning to buy a good graphic card in the future and the thing that worried me the most was not being able to fully experience the Oculus.
    Thank you very much for the clarification; I'm reassured now!
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,350 Volunteer Moderator
    Hold on for a graphics card as prices will fall soon when the new cards are announced :)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Nice. I'm planning to buy a good graphic card in the future and the thing that worried me the most was not being able to fully experience the Oculus.
    Thank you very much for the clarification; I'm reassured now!
    Glad to help - I would go for it if I were you.

• SyrellarisSyrellaris Posts: 1,035
    3Jane
    Brixmis said:
    I don't know. If you like Fallout 4 and Skyrim, you're unlikely to have an acceptable experience in VR. Probably some others at the top end of the performance scale.

Same with DCS World 2.5 (though 1.5 should be okay).

I had zero issues running fallout 4 or skyrim on a gtx 970 in VR. So far I have yet to find a game in VR that the 970 can't handle. 
    NerveGear
    The fact is that I'm not really worried about the FPS drop themselves but for the dizziness that may come along (if that's actually a thing).
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    That machine should be okay. You may have to leave settings on default/medium, but it will run.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    edited August 2018
    The fact is that I'm not really worried about the FPS drop themselves but for the dizziness that may come along (if that's actually a thing).
    Well the reason I mentioned those two is that I tried them with my 1060 and though Skyrim was not bad (graphics were not that good, though) the graphics quality - or lack of it - in FO4 makes me feel very ill. If I were able to I would run it at higher settings.
    Syrellaris - have you tried DCs World 2.5? I'll put money on it not running well on the 970 - mind you, we'd only have your word for it, of course.

Why didn't you pipe up until it was to argue?

Anyway - as I said, these VR games were released after I upgraded, but as they run poorly on the 1060 (in terms of how good they look) then I hardly expect them to look good on the 970.

NerveGear
    Brixmis said:
    Well the reason I mentioned those two is that I tried them with my 1060 and though Skyrim was not bad (graphics were not that good, though) the graphics quality - or lack of it - in FO4 makes me feel very ill. If I were able to I would run it at higher settings.
    Syrellaris - have you tried DCs World 2.5? I'll put money on it not running well on the 970 - mind you, we'd only have your word for it, of course.

Why didn't you pipe up until it was to argue?

Anyway - as I said, these VR games were released after I upgraded, but as they run poorly on the 1060 (in terms of how good they look) then I hardly expect them to look good on the 970.
    Oh... I see. As I far as I know about PCs the 1060 and the 970 are quite similar, so I hope my 970 will work until I change it with a 1070 - 1080.