cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

since 1.29 I have been getting BSOD errors on windows.

KichiK
Honored Guest
So first the facts.
- My computer and oculus were all working fine on 1.28. In fact, I had just rearanged plugs to fix some USB Bus bandwidth issues and was noting how much everything improved just the day before.
- With 1.29 + Oculus core 2.0 the issues begin. Taking away Oculus core 2.0 DOES fix it, but I use the VR desktop option a LOT, so it's really not a great solution.
- I can run Oculus software with the Rift unplugged fine
- I can plug the rift in with HDMI or USB on it's own (obviously it doesn't work, but the computer doesn't crash)
- I can plug in both to run AS LONG AS the software isn't yet running
- When all 4 are together, my second monitor goes blank, my first monitor freezes for a second, then the BSOD occurs.
- Also worth noting, I had it working for a little bit immediately after the update, but the oculus menus in VR were often becoming nonresponsive. Additionally, I noticed that while previously, the "VR Monitor" that Oculus uses for VR desktop interaction was always active as long as the headset was plugged in, it now would disappear until I tried to use the Oculus, then it would appear. I restarted my computer in hopes of fixing this, but that's when I started getting BSODs every time I have Software + Core 2.0 + HDMI + USB all plugged in

I can, in the mean time, run without Core 2.0, but I use in app VR desktop way too often to make that a good long term solutio, as I said. As best i can tell it's an issue with the "VR Monitor" being created. Any help fixing this would be great. I'd normally do more testing first, but I was troubleshooting tracking issues all week before figuring out the USB bandwidth issue (I know, took longer than it should), and didn't have much energy left to deal with this.
14 REPLIES 14

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

fish998 said:

Dunno if it's connected but I just had a BSOD running Fallout 4 VR (via Steam VR), and when I got back into windows (10, 64bit), the Oculus software (1.29) wants me to run setup again as if it's forgotten everything.  I'm NOT on the core 2.0 beta though.  I'm on 398.11 with a GTX1070.

You might want to try the advice I gave KichiK in the thread above his.  Obviously it was no use to him but it may help you.  Actually, I did get a BSOD after I installed the new 1.29 firmware, but at least it seemed to work ok, but then my usb ports started acting up.  After a reinstall/repair and driver reinstall all seems fine.  I am still having problems with X-Plane 11 shutdowns and I have sent X-Plane 11 a bug report so hopefully they will fix this soon.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

KichiK
Honored Guest
Quick update for Manuel, I tried to get the dump file via the notmyfault64.exe as was listed in the tutorial, but that crashed my computer as well, listing myfault.sys. I'm gonna run a system file check to be safe, but please let me know if I should recrash the problem-we're-solving way before sending the file.

EDIT: I realized that tool is for issues that don't already crash your computer, so I have recrashed via the problem that this thread is about, and have zipped the file, upload is running, but I will probably still have to email the link tomorrow as it IS a 6GB file, even compressed.

EDIT2: Sent.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Man it sounds like you are having fun Mate!  Prayers in progress!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

KichiK
Honored Guest
Okay, since posting this, I have been playing without Core 2.0, and have still been having issues, notably, frequent loss of tracking in both controllers and headset, occasionally followed by the headset itself disconnecting. I have attached the most recent log, in which the most recent play session ended with this loss of tracking to headset disconnect pattern.

KichiK
Honored Guest
Okay, update to the situtaion, I recieved a new Oculus cable due to the fact that Oculus support noticed I was missing pins on the HDMI plug. This has not fully fixed my BSoDs with Core 2.0 however. That said, it did partially fix them. I've been using active HDMI extender, and while previously, I tested without it to be safe and still BSoD'd, with the fixed cable, I can get it working without the extender. With the extender, I still get the same crash, listing the same NVidia driver. I plan to get another extender (they're useful to have regardless, so why not), and see if that fixes it, but in the meantime, I figure any NVidia personnel watching this thread may appreciate somie direction in their hunt for this issue.

EDIT: Nevermind, BSoDing even directly connected again. I've tried disabling every software ai can but nothing seems to make it work like it did that once. I also tried updating to the public beta 1.30 and it did not help.