cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feel Three Motion Simulator update - launch incoming!

traveltr0users
Explorer

c3jw4c94qn08.jpg
g4u9d3exx05k.jpg

Yes, it's been a while but we're nearly ready to launch.... you can still join the raffle/newsletter to win one at http://www.feelthree.com/giveaways/pre-kickstarter-giveaway/ and share your code to get more entries, but you better get a move on!

The new base is ±50°, so 100° pitch/roll in total 🙂
http://www.feelthree.com/feel-three-specifications/

Early bird is $2000, so get on the newsletter to find out when we're launching.

crpj082nzhhc.gif

No video of it working until the Kickstarter.... we have to hold back the really cool stuff, but here is an animation 🙂
73 REPLIES 73

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

MowTin said:

The target market should be arcades. 

RedRizla said:

@MowTin - Why just arcade? If you take a look at it it's not much bigger then an armchair in width. 
Will it would be good for arcades to make loads of money on just a $2000 setup like this, it's good that it is also offered to the consumer at such a low price..

Oh where to start?

Okay, I agree that the company should have focused on a B2B then B2C approach (you would expect that!) This would have allowed them to hone their skills, and also come to understand what the needs of commercial could be migrated to the needs of consumer. In realising this too late they are now in a rushed compromise situation - as we are seeing with the likes of Virtuix, StarVR and others, having to pivot too commercial comes with many issues.

Regarding the price of the system - this is a perfect example of the compromise to be avoided. If the manufacturers had focused on commercial they could avoided having to pair down the concept to fit a "perceived" consumer price point, and with that possibly endanger throwing the baby out with the bath water regarding the deliverable. With a commercial focus they could have created the "premier" version. and then after evaluation, creating off the back of all the free publicity, a consumer version.

It is this approach to new technology - trying to force the square peg of high-tech into the round hole of consumer need that has soured the latest attempt to establish VR with the "mainstream", and was based on a false premise by individuals that have proven they had more hyperbole than business sense.

Let's hope FeelThreeMotion can get some good advise on their next steps.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

danybonin
Protege
i wonder what would happen to the oculus cable if you spin around too much....
13900ks
nvidia rtx 4090
32GB

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

danybonin said:

That depends, if you are only spinning around one way it would be a problem, but this setup isn't designed to just spin one way. I have my Rift cable attached to a Bungee clip and a piece of string above my head. I can use room scale without the cable getting in the way now and spin round on my swivel chair no problem. However, if was to spin on my swivel chair one way only then the cable would eventually get a bit tangled I think. I don't know for sure though because I've spun around quite a few times in one direction and it still seems okay.

If it's smart, it'll include a maximum twist limit within its algorithm. Must be possible to include that without the user being aware it's being done. Even if it just utilises a slow unwind during non-rotational in-game movement. I'm guessing their test rig would have destroyed a few cables already if it didn't do that.

kojack
MVP
MVP
They have a yaw limit for that.
Although they also have a tendency to get numbers a little wrong.
From their FAQ:
A standard hemisphere allows ±90-100° pitch and roll, and  ±3600° yaw
rotation (ie five complete rotations in one direction).  Yaw rotations
are washed out by other movement.

±90 means from -90 to +90, which is 180 degrees. It can't roll/pitch that much. It's really ±45-50.

±3600 is 20 complete rotations.

It might be slightly concerning that a product that wants you to sit inside of a giant motorised hemisphere is made by people who don't know how many degrees are in a circle or how ± works. 🙂

(or they need one of the engineers to proofread their marketing material)

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

danybonin
Protege

RedRizla said:

danybonin said:

That depends, if you are only spinning around one way it would be a problem, but this setup isn't designed to just spin one way. I have my Rift cable attached to a Bungee clip and a piece of string above my head. I can use room scale without the cable getting in the way now and spin round on my swivel chair no problem. However, if was to spin on my swivel chair one way only then the cable would eventually get a bit tangled I think. I don't know for sure though because I've spun around quite a few times in one direction and it still seems okay.

Yes that makes sense 🙂
13900ks
nvidia rtx 4090
32GB

kojack
MVP
MVP
The kickstarter is live.

It's been open for about 30min and already has 41% of it's goal.
Oops, while writing this it jumped to 50%. 🙂

At only $2632au for the early bird price (only 25 of them), I'd definitely buy one, if I had any room for it.
(Non early bird price is $7021au)

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
The originally goal for Feel Three was to raise £50,000 (GBP), a goal they quickly surpassed, with 43 backers having pledged £62,547 as of time of writing.
https://www.vrfocus.com/2018/08/kickstarter-for-vr-motion-simulator-feel-three-passes-goal/

Not really a surprise with that price and performance offered, the main issues will be building a business, and the size of operation needed to run this effectively. We will be trying a prototype of the system in a couple of days and will report back.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

RiftFlyer
Protege
So they’ve reached their funding goal really early. There’s no doubt that there is a market for motion sims for VR. Let’s hope Oculus finally take notice and do something many of us have been asking for and give us a means of having native motion cancellation. Such a shame a product like this won’t work with the rift. 

bigmike20vt
Visionary

kojack said:

The kickstarter is live.

It's been open for about 30min and already has 41% of it's goal.
Oops, while writing this it jumped to 50%. 🙂

At only $2632au for the early bird price (only 25 of them), I'd definitely buy one, if I had any room for it.
(Non early bird price is $7021au)

damn it... i am 50/50 that i would put down the cash today ... except it is vive only 😞
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂