New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Walmart files VR patent

ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,008 Valuable Player
Smart move!

Walmart files patent application for VR shopping

Walmart applied for two patents that show how the chain plans to create a "virtual retail showroom" and fulfillment system that would let customers shop in a computer-generated version of its stores

Consumers wearing virtual reality (VR) headsets and sensory gloves would have the sensation of walking through product aisles and picking out items for home delivery

https://www.mobilemarketer.com/news/walmart-files-patent-application-for-vr-shopping/530451/

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane

Comments

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,201
    Wintermute
    Will it have small robots that cleans up the mess im gonna make, treating it like my Oculus home ? :smiley:

We dont have walmarts here in Denmark, I will have to visit the virtual store for sure when it´s up and running.

Be good, die great !
  • SyrellarisSyrellaris Posts: 1,035
    Wintermute
    The first thing that I'm asking is...Why? Who would want to torture themselves walking in a virtual Wallmart lol
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,183 Valuable Player
    Probably the folks that find walking into a brick and mortar Walmart store even more torture lol.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    KlodsBrik said:
    Will it have small robots that cleans up the mess im gonna make, treating it like my Oculus home ? :smiley:

We dont have walmarts here in Denmark, I will have to visit the virtual store for sure when it´s up and running.

I would not depend on small robots too much

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,008 Valuable Player
    The first thing that I'm asking is...Why? Who would want to torture themselves walking in a virtual Wallmart lol

Agreed, yet this is what makes the "patent" filing such a Smart move. Walmart will now get money from any organization who tries to implement "Virtual Shopping."

Assuming, of course, that they are awarded the patent.
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    I really hope they're not - I'm sure someone will be able to declare "prior art" on a VR shop. Oculus Store is an example of a VR store I would think..
    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • SyrellarisSyrellaris Posts: 1,035
    Wintermute
    Zenbane said:

Agreed, yet this is what makes the "patent" filing such a Smart move. Walmart will now get money from any organization who tries to implement "Virtual Shopping."

Assuming, of course, that they are awarded the patent.
    Would that even be applicable outside of the US? I mean, the European Union generally does not like nor allow monopoly type patents like that. Also would the Oculus Store front and Steam store front in VR not be seen as "Virtual Shopping" ??

btw, I do not know much or anything at all about patents and how they apply to things.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,008 Valuable Player
    I'm not sure how patent law works internationally. I imagine that if another country does business in the US (allows US internet users to shop in their VR store) then it may still apply. But if another country limits their business to non-US users then all should be fine.
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    Not gonna lie, I would probably use such a service at least once.

I mean, think about it: You could shop at Walmart in the nude!  Which I'm sure someone has done before, but the difference is I won't get arrested for it! :wink:
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    It would be great if it had some sort of Gamification, like a VR version of supermarket sweep? Or if you would get a baseball bat and do what you always wanted to do, trash the whole place and get that anger out!
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)