New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Nvidia and GamesCom MEGATHREAD.RTX 2080/Ti (FIRST BENCHMARKS COMING OUT) NDA lifted.

Comments

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    RedRizla said:
    That looks suspiciously like the Ray trace version RedRizla

Just shows what can be done without it..
    So you're saying, because it looks good enough we should not move on and make it better?
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,989 Valuable Player
    edited August 2018
    @LZoltowski - I'm quite happy to play a game if it looks as good as Resident Evil does. All I'm saying is that he showed that room at it's worst while he was doing the Ray Tracing demo. Maybe he should have showed this room in the demo instead. I'm aware of how good RayTracing is and it will save Devs time, but I want more for my £1000 as a gamer..
    RedRizla said:
    @LZoltowski - I'm quite happy to play a game if it looks as good as Resident Evil does. All I'm saying is that he showed that room at it's worst while he was doing the Ray Tracing demo. Maybe he should have showed this room in the demo instead. I'm aware of how good RayTracing is and it will save Devs time, but I want more for my £1000..
    What about AI-powered anti-aliasing ... no more jaggy/blurry edges, imagine what difference that will make in VR, you won't have to supersample so much to get a sharper image. Also AI-powered upscaling, meaning you can push higher res VR screens without sacrificing performance as much.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,201
    Wintermute
    Wasn´t the only time performance was really mentioned in yesterdays reveal when he talked about infiltrator getting 90fps on 20xx which is 46-49fps on the 10xx series.
    Still they showed a demo in 4k with 60fps capped.
    If the new cards had so much better performance they would surely have  spend a lot more time talking about that, rather than ray tracing all the way.

Don´t get me wrong, the ray tracing looks stunning. Im just not sure if it´s worth the upgrade, price considered.

I bought my 1080 very cheap less than a year ago, so unless I can supersample a hell lot more than I can now in my favorit VR games ( they all run at 90fps already on my system ), I really don´t see the need to upgrade.
    Be good, die great !
    RedRizla said:
    @LZoltowski - I'm quite happy to play a game if it looks as good as Resident Evil does. All I'm saying is that he showed that room at it's worst while he was doing the Ray Tracing demo. Maybe he should have showed this room in the demo instead. I'm aware of how good RayTracing is and it will save Devs time, but I want more for my £1000..
    What about AI-powered anti-aliasing ... no more jaggy/blurry edges, imagine what difference that will make in VR, you won't have to supersample so much to get a sharper image. Also AI-powered upscaling, meaning you can push higher res VR screens without sacrificing performance as much.

While it's good for VR, it just makes VR look even more expensive now. I'll make do with just a higher resolution in VR, which will help with the jaggy edges a bit.. 
    RedRizla said:
    RedRizla said:

While it's good for VR, it just makes VR look even more expensive now. I'll make do with just a higher resolution in VR, which will help with the jaggy edges a bit.. 

The 2070 has Tensor Cores too, so in theory its capable of AI upscaling and anti-aliasing, meaning that in theory SS could be done using the tensor cores.

Wintermute
    @LZoltowski True, I forgot how good the AI anti aliasing looked in the demostrations.
    Be good, die great !
    edited August 2018
    @LZoltowski - At what cost to performance does RayTracing have on games? Shadows setting are currently a thing people usually look to change or turn off to increase performance in their games..
    edited August 2018
    RedRizla said:
    @LZoltowski - At what cost to performance does RayTracing have on games? Shadows setting are currently a thing people usually look to turn off to increase performance in their games..

Since RT and Tensor cores are independent of CUDA cores, I would say negligible no?, perhaps even better as you effectively are offloading the calculations from the CUDA cores? 

Hopefully they will drop in price by the time CV2 arrives, if not I'll just have to get a Geforce 1080Ti. I'd pay £799 tops for a Geforce 2080Ti..
  • DilipDilip Posts: 252
    Nexus 6
    edited August 2018
    Would have appropriated if NIVIDIA demoed RTX2080 along side 1001PPI VR Hmd with USB TYPE C port in action with small VR Experience that just left all attendees in AWE ... NVIDIA you just ruined opportunity .. Moment gone...

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    RedRizla said:
    Hopefully they will drop in price by the time CV2 arrives, if not I'll just have to get a Geforce 1080Ti. I'd pay £799 tops for a Geforce 2080Ti..
    +1
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• DilipDilip Posts: 252
    Nexus 6
    Instead of focusing on Single pass stereo render or Foveted rendering technique NVIDIA is luring users on GPU brute force (tempting gamers to pay more in name of VR yet not getting what they should for paying $400 for HMD then $600 for RTX2080) which unintentionally pushing 4K hmds still generations away.. Simply did not like it. 
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    There is no doubt in my mind that the tech is very cool & looks way better. The problem is for 4K & VR we are still way short of FPS & i need this way more. Plus the price 1200 is daft. They should release a GTX ti card at normal price with a 30% increase in fps as well as these cards imo. I'll jump on the rtx next gen.  
  • SyrellarisSyrellaris Posts: 1,035
    Wintermute
    Well ya'll be happy with that spending 1300+ for the RTX series. With AMD releasing a ray tracing capable Vega card in Q4 2018, I think I might go for that. half the price, 1080 ti performance with ray tracing. 

Especially since the  miners will be ontop of these RTX cards like crazy.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,176 Valuable Player
    Well ya'll be happy with that spending 1300+ for the RTX series. With AMD releasing a ray tracing capable Vega card in Q4 2018, I think I might go for that. half the price, 1080 ti performance with ray tracing. 

I thought the mining thing had declined substantially?
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    Yeah I don't think they'll be able to do much with the 2 per customer rule just yet.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Wintermute
    edited August 2018
    Techy111 said:
    Yeah I don't think they'll be able to do much with the 2 per customer rule just yet.
    Third party will hit the stores within the next 2-3 months as well. Majority of buyers will buy those instead of Founders editions.

Can't say I heard much of a decline on mining yet, but I ain't in that scene so I don't know much about it.
    dburne said:
    Syrellaris said:

I thought the mining thing had declined substantially?

The way to tell is to see the price drop in the shops, we almost back to normal prices now lol

Wintermute
    edited August 2018
    Techy111 said:
    The way to tell is to see the price drop in the shops, we almost back to normal prices now lol
    Such as an 1080ti Amp edition with two fans only though, for $526.50 ( down where it says style).

Edit  again:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XXVVQYH/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A4Y7D9G6IS7RN&psc=1
    Mangled around with it a little, and sure enough, the price is $526.50
    Or is it an amazon prime offer only ? 
    Be good, die great !
    I imagine a Gigabyte Geforce 2080 Ti, will be £850 to £899..

edited August 2018
    @Techy - Windforce cards are always expensive. I would image at-least a $100 to come of the founder edition cards on other brands such as Gigabyte..etc
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,885 Valuable Player
    Are there any estimates on the fps boost we'll get in non-RTX games from the 2080ti vs 1080ti?

I'm hearing various estimates from 10% all the way to 100% 

They said  fps doubled on the infiltrator demo. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
    MowTin said:
    Are there any estimates on the fps boost we'll get in non-RTX games from the 2080ti vs 1080ti?

If the card reviews are STILL embargoed they cant be that amazing, we will no doubt see them just before 20th sept ship date. If it was 100% Nvidia would want to really scream about it.

Ugh, hybrid Air/Water Ti's are £1,349.99 

Ouch

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,885 Valuable Player
    edited August 2018
    MowTin said:

If the card reviews are STILL embargoed they cant be that amazing, we will no doubt see them just before 20th sept ship date. If it was 100% Nvidia would want to really scream about it.
    I think you're right. I was really excited at the thought of 100% boost. 

The games I care about now are flight sims like DCS and IL-2. A 50% increase from 60 fps to 90 fps is what's needed. 

It looks like I'll just wait. But if the benchmarks are good, it will be too late. I'll have to wait months.

If I pre-order, can I cancel if I don't like the benchmarks? I've never pre-ordered a card. 

It looks like pre-orders will arrive in October if I order now. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
    Wintermute
    edited August 2018
    Asus, MSI and Gigabute have released their pricing.

Asus Dual Geforce 2080 TI = 1400 euro's
    Asus Turbo 2080 TI = 1300 euro's.

Asus Strix 2080 = 1050 euro's
    Asus OC 2080 = 950 

MSI 2080 versions are 900 and 950 euro's.
    MSI 2080 TI versions are 1300 and 1350.

Gigabyte 2080 TI Versions are 1300 and 1250
    Gigabyte 2080 Versions are 880 and 930.

@Techy111 I think prices dropped a little due to getting rid of old stock. Cryptomining could be on a decline I guess, but that ain't going to magically make cards any less expensive.
    MowTin said:
    MowTin said:

I think you're right. I was really excited at the thought of 100% boost. 

The games I care about now are flight sims like DCS and IL-2. A 50% increase from 60 fps to 90 fps is what's needed. 

It looks like I'll just wait. But if the benchmarks are good, it will be too late. I'll have to wait months.

If I pre-order, can I cancel if I don't like the benchmarks? I've never pre-ordered a card. 

It looks like pre-orders will arrive in October if I order now. 
    The 2080ti FE is now minimum October 20th shipping. 

I think you can cancel up to about 2-3 days before it ships, but I am not 100% sure.