cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Medium Suggestions

slipgatecentral
Explorer
TL&DR: Medium is a very nice toy, but it's hard to be productive in it. 

After playing for few hours with it, I have some ideas that might improve this software for professional artists, without ruining accessibility for beginners.

-Almost very tool needs an alt modifier, that will allow user quickly switch to alternate mode. Example - for clay tool, to cut holes you need to open menu, select "Erase", and close menu. Needs to be faster, preferably holding modifier button on left controller (like the one we got for alternate tool). Every sculpting 3d software has this - primary function can be switched instantly to it's opposite.

- We must be able to select same tools for primary and alternate, but they must not share settings. This will be extremely useful in many cases. Like, you can paint using 2 different brushes with different color.

- Desperately need move/pull tool. Smudge doesn't do much. If there's no room on the palette I suggest removing useless swirl.

- Need an option to customize brushes and my palette. Would be great to have my own selection of saved tools with different settings. Time saver.

- Need bigger color swatch accessible from menu. Right now only 3 colors in it.

- Eyedropper tool takes too long to select. It also needs a button modifier for quick operation, like Alt key in Photoshop.

I am a professional 3d artist and I'm looking forward to work in VR. Those are just first steps but I see tons of potential in VR sculpting. 
323 REPLIES 323

Sculptress34
Honored Guest
Is it possible to use Medium with one hand?  I have RSI in my right hand and it's hard to hold the menu up for very long.  Could I put the support menu into the environment, so I don't have to hold my right arm up?  Could the controls for the trigger finger and grip button that could stay on screen as well? 

hughJ
Protege
I would like a toggle to enable viewing a flat-shaded version of the sculpt (akin to what we see now while using the move tool).  The lack of surface contrast on smoothly curved surfaces makes it hard to distinguish the contours of the sculpt, often requiring manipulating the model and light source as a work-around.

Similarly, I find that the geometric brushes and stamps being represented by transparent solid green/red results in no stereo depth information of the shape, making it feel a bit ambiguous where the brush is relative to the sculpt.  Currently you have to rely on spotting the intersection point, and a lot of trial and error.  Having a wireframe, checkboard texture, flat shading, other surface feature to provide some linear perspective info for our eyes would help a lot here.

I realize these two features would end up making the UI more "busy" and less pretty (a lot more contrasting lines, aliasing, etc), but they would improve the usability a ton.

JasonW
Protege
Dynamic Layer Resolution

I really appreciate the ability to set the resolution for a layer so I can achieve the detail I need in a sculpt. However, after using the dynamic resolution features found in both Zbrush 2018 and SculptrVR, I really wish for Dynamic Layer Resolution in Medium 3.0. I would rather not have to think about resolution when in the heat of sculpting, it's a very unnatural thing added to what is otherwise a very intuitive experience. I believe this would also save memory since higher resolution is only applied locally to areas that require it instead of increasing the resolution of the entire layer.

JasonW
Protege
Set Layer Hardness

After using Medium for a little bit and trying to carve into clay with various stamps in the shapes of traditional clay tools, I find it really difficult to carve into a shape because there is no resistance to the strokes that I apply. I end up with deep gashes instead of nice rake patterns I'm trying to achieve for example. If I could set the hardness of a layer to mimic the effects of cold stiff or warm soft clay then carving detail onto a model might work much better. Additionally, if I set the clay tool to add clay rather than remove it, then the pre-existing clay would resist the addition or adhesion of new clay on its surface mimicking real life once again. I can imagine this hardness setting helping the other tools such as the move, inflate or flatten tools in a similar fashion.

I've read suggestions where turning on surface mode can help achieve some type of carving effects, but after trying it, its really hard to get predictable results. For one there is no stoke smoothing, and two there is no easy way to set the carving depth or intensity.... but I do see that it could work nicely with the hardness setting mentioned above.

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant

JasonW said:

Dynamic Layer Resolution

I really appreciate the ability to set the resolution for a layer so I can achieve the detail I need in a sculpt. However, after using the dynamic resolution features found in both Zbrush 2018 and SculptrVR, I really wish for Dynamic Layer Resolution in Medium 3.0. I would rather not have to think about resolution when in the heat of sculpting, it's a very unnatural thing added to what is otherwise a very intuitive experience. I believe this would also save memory since higher resolution is only applied locally to areas that require it instead of increasing the resolution of the entire layer.

If z-brush is anything to go by you'll only have to wait 10 years or so till we dynamic tessellation in Medium. I never forgave those swine for shitcanning sculptris!  😕

JasonW
Protege

P3nT4gR4m
If z-brush is anything to go by you'll only have to wait 10 years or so till we dynamic tessellation in Medium. I never forgave those swine for shitcanning sculptris!  😕

SculptrVR is already a VR app that uses dynamic volumetric resolution, so I figure medium could do it too.

MrNobodyX3
Explorer
Can we get some sort of bone system to pose a near finished sculpt?

MrNobodyX3
Explorer

Zero-Integral
Honored Guest
Really love Medium!  Honestly, the only thing I'd ask for is some better painting tools.. Maybe a modifier for the air brush to get some spatter or irregularity.. Or maybe use stamps as paint brushes to create some neat effects..

Sterling77
Rising Star

This would be very cool - some of the team used to work on Spore Creature creator, hopefully this could be the next step. 
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/52965/sterlings-sketchbook