cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GOG.com like Steam?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I was just looking at CDkeys.com and some of their games tell you to activate them on GOG.com. I've used Steam to activate keys, but I've never used GOG.com. I'm just wondering if anyone has used GOG.com for games and if it's like Steam or something entirely different? Do you just login to GOG.com to play your games like you do with Steam?
11 REPLIES 11

Orodreth16
Expert Protege
The beauty of gog is, that you can play all their content offline since everything they offer is DRM-free. That means of course you have to log in once to activate your key and download your game, but after the download has finished you don't have to login again. And all of this can be done through their website, no client needed.

If you do want a client, however, they also offer that. It's called gog Galaxy and offers an experience similar to Steam.

LZoltowski
Champion
Yes no DRM on gog.com, it's maintained and owned by CDPROJECT RED, makers of the Witcher series.

Once you buy a game you own it for life, you can archive the downloaded game, and in 20 years time still be able to run it with no activation 🙂
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Can you play with Steam players online or do you just get to use Gog Galaxy for multiplayer? Cheers!

cybereality
Grand Champion
GOG is nice, DRM-Free is their big selling point. They also have pretty hefty sales on old games on a regular basis.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@LZoltowski @cybereality - Does Multiplayer include Steam players if you purchase from GOG.com?

LZoltowski
Champion
I haven't got a clue, I don't play multiplayer games.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
The other cool thing about GOG is that every once in a while they do something called GOG Connect that allows games you have in your Steam account to be added to your GOG account giving you a DRM free copy.

Personally if I could migrate my whole Steam library to GOG I would, I like the concept of I buy it and it is mine forever or at least for as long as the install executable remains compatible with whatever version of Windows you are on.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@SimonSays28 - Do you know if I'm able to play multiplayer games with Steam friends?

LZoltowski
Champion

RedRizla said:

@SimonSays28 - Do you know if I'm able to play multiplayer games with Steam friends?

I did a bit of research and it looks like it depends on the developer and if they have implemented cross-platform play, either through GOG Galaxy or their own servers. So it would seem it's on a per title basis, I would search the forums on a particular title and see what others say.

Be kind to one another 🙂