cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Along Together, an adorable Lucky's Tale style puzzle platformer for Oculus GO, GearVR and Rift

LZoltowski
Champion
I found this little gem yesterday, it's adorable and engaging, the puzzles get progressively intricate. It's a fantastic game on the GO, relaxing but also challenging.

It's on sale at the moment.

https://youtu.be/gbP3OmUdnrA

Highly recommended if you liked Lucky's Tale. 

Nice to see games for both GO and Rift coming out.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
30 REPLIES 30

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Thanks, I'll grab a copy - got kids (6 and 10 years old), and the game's just 10 bucks today. I like the Moss-like element of you (=a giant) interacting with the game world and helping the main game character by moving heavy parts and solving puzzles/obstacles. 

I think this is basically a game developed for phones (which may cause very low polygon scenes due to limited cpu power) - and then the game was ported to PSVR and more:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.turbobutton.alongtogether&hl=en_US

If some don't like the VR version, I'm thinking this must look awesome on a phone 🙂

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

LZoltowski
Champion

RuneSR2 said:

Thanks, I'll grab a copy - got kids (6 and 10 years old), and the game's just 10 bucks today. I like the Moss-like element of you (=a giant) interacting with the game world and helping the main game character by moving heavy parts and solving puzzles/obstacles. 

I think this is basically a game developed for phones (which may cause very low polygon scenes due to limited cpu power) - and then the game was ported to PSVR and more:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.turbobutton.alongtogether&hl=en_US

If some don't like the VR version, I'm thinking this must look awesome on a phone 🙂

It runs great on the Oculus GO too ... low poly games feel great in VR tho, look at Job Simulator ... such basic graphics on a 2d monitor, but hours of fun in VR
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I played this entirely on GO. fyi

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I've got some weird stuttering in the game - the game more or less crashed when trying to use the in-game menus (pressing B on Touch), and the game ran in slow-mo (quite weird to see). The devs wrote that they're working on a solution, something may be wrong with the way the game handles audio (others seem to be experiencing similar problems)...

According to the devs:

"There is an audio driver bug that causes performance issues for a small number of players. Until it's fixed, please try setting your PC's primary audio output to use the Rift's headphones, or if that doesn't work, you can change your Rift's audio to "Rift Only" (No Mirror). That should work around the issue and let the game run as intended. We hope to have this properly fixed soon with Oculus's help - sorry for the inconvenience!"

The first suggestion didn't help me - I have not tried to completely disable the mirror - because that function is more important to me than playing the game, but just for the experiment I might give it a shot tomorrow  o:)

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I've tested the game quite thoroughly, it works perfectly using blurry super-sampling (ss) 1.0. Unfortunately it seems that the devs never thought that their phone game would be pushed much harder than usual on high-end pc gaming rigs. And although I like the game and would like to support it (therefore I bought it), I think it's horribly optimized for the Rift. I don't think that the devs ever considered testing the game using high levels of super-sampling, they probably just tested the standard setting of ss 1.0. Enabling ss 2.0 causes massive stuttering, everything goes in slow-mo and the game is completely unplayable - and a game with such low-end graphics should perform like a dream even using high levels of ss. Lucky's Tale from 2016 has a much higher poly-count and better texturing - and runs perfectly using ss 2.0 (90+ fps). Even Mage's Tales runs at 90 fps ss 2.0 on my rig. 
Personally I think it's sad when devs show so little knowledge of the platform they're using to sell a game. I'm getting the feeling  that the Rift QA has been quite poor.

LZoltowski
Champion

RuneSR2 said:

I've tested the game quite thoroughly, it works perfectly using blurry super-sampling (ss) 1.0. Unfortunately it seems that the devs never thought that their phone game would be pushed much harder than usual on high-end pc gaming rigs. And although I like the game and would like to support it (therefore I bought it), I think it's horribly optimized for the Rift. I don't think that the devs ever considered testing the game using high levels of super-sampling, they probably just tested the standard setting of ss 1.0. Enabling ss 2.0 causes massive stuttering, everything goes in slow-mo and the game is completely unplayable - and a game with such low-end graphics should perform like a dream even using high levels of ss. Lucky's Tale from 2016 has a much higher poly-count and better texturing - and runs perfectly using ss 2.0 (90+ fps). Even Mage's Tales runs at 90 fps ss 2.0 on my rig. 
Personally I think it's sad when devs show so little knowledge of the platform they're using to sell a game. I'm getting the feeling  that the Rift QA has been quite poor.

Supersampling is a user choice, you dont develop a game in hopes people will super sample it so I doubt developers of any game consider it too much at this point. Maybe in the future when more people have better GPU's

Be kind to one another 🙂

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

Supersampling is a user choice, you dont develop a game in hopes people will super sample it so I doubt developers of any game consider it too much at this point. Maybe in the future when more people have better GPU's

I guess you're right, especially small teams making one game available on multiple platforms (phones, Go, Rift, Vive etc). Still I think about 50% of the Rift games I own do implement an in-game setting to adjust super-sampling (but I do prefer the more demanding games), so in the year of 2018 I kind of expect devs to be aware of super-sampling. And with the aging CV1, ss is becoming increasingly important to achieve "up to par" image quality. I have informed the devs that they've probably forgot to check how high levels of ss affect their game (this probably goes too for the Steam version), at least I hope it can help them make a better product and get better sales - right now there're just 9 or 10 reviews on Oculus Store and Steam, respectively.   

For now, persons experiencing problems in the game due to high global ss, an Oculus Tray Tool profile forcing ss 1.0 specifically for Along Together should fix the problem - and maybe the game will work fine using ss 1.5 too (I haven't tested that yet). 

nrosko
Superstar

RuneSR2 said:

I would argue most Rift users use supersampling as even 1.2 increases visual quality. I never understood the lack of support for it from Oculus tbh. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

nrosko said:

RuneSR2 said:

I would argue most Rift users use supersampling as even 1.2 increases visual quality. I never understood the lack of support for it from Oculus tbh. 

That's not an argument you can actually back up. I don't use super sampling at all, mostly because I'm just too lazy to set it before loading up a game. I don't care so much about the graphics as I do the actual experience. I have seen the difference and yes, it's nice. But it's more for videophiles than anything else, and not everyone is a videophile.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
BTW, I just tested Along Together enabling just ss 1.5 - and it caused a massive slowdown just like ss 2.0. So at least for now, don't enable ss for Along Together. Maybe I'm not being kind to the devs, but I simply can't play that game using ss 1.0; if the devs can't fix the ss problem that game will be 1/5 stars to me, sadly. When first you've gotten use to high levels of ss it's nearly impossible to go back - unless the devs create some true texturing magic like in Seeking Dawn.