cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Official TV Thread

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just thought I'd start a thread where we can all share what we've all been watching.

I'm just finishing the fifth and final series of The Gentle Touch starring the lovely Jill Gascoigne as DI Maggie Forbes. It's a programme from the 80s and is excellent.

Next up for me is the second series of Monkey, known as Monkey Magic in the States I think. If you haven't seen it then you HAVE to check it out. It's a Japanese programme from the 80s that tells the legend of Monkey, Piggsy, Sandy and Tripitaka who travel through Asia to pick up the Buddhist Sacred Scrolls. Some may be familiar of the legend from the video game Enslaved: Odyssey Of The West.

I love rewatching stuff from the 70s and 80s regularly, they don't make telly like that any more which is a real shame. All we seem to see these days is mostly reality TV bollocks with the odd gem hidden here and there. 😞

So what are you guys and girls watching?
351 REPLIES 351

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Just here waiting for 2019 Game of Thrones...
:'(

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee

snowdog said:

Just thought I'd start a thread where we can all share what we've all been watching.

I'm just finishing the fifth and final series of The Gentle Touch starring the lovely Jill Gascoigne as DI Maggie Forbes. It's a programme from the 80s and is excellent.

Next up for me is the second series of Monkey, known as Monkey Magic in the States I think. If you haven't seen it then you HAVE to check it out. It's a Japanese programme from the 80s that tells the legend of Monkey, Piggsy, Sandy and Tripitaka who travel through Asia to pick up the Buddhist Sacred Scrolls. Some may be familiar of the legend from the video game Enslaved: Odyssey Of The West.

I love rewatching stuff from the 70s and 80s regularly, they don't make telly like that any more which is a real shame. All we seem to see these days is mostly reality TV bollocks with the odd gem hidden here and there. 😞

So what are you guys and girls watching?

It's rare that I watch TV these days for entertainment. But speaking of 70's and 80's I watch The Sweeney whenever I have time, and The Professionals. Both faves of mine when I was a teenager. I even watch some of The Bill - but more often than not end up switching it off.

I only watch those when they are on at meal times, but I do enjoy them, and I think you are right - modern series are pretty crap. I enjoyed the first two series of The Walking Dead, but then I felt it went downhill and the last two or three series were utter shite.

Between those 'eras' I liked Rome - which I have the DVD set of now and watch every few months, and tomorrow I watch the last of Band of Brothers, which I also have the box set of. Back to the 70's and I have the last series of the Secret Army. Nowadays it looks pretty dire, but back in the days it was considered the mutts nuts. We also watched the first two series of Starsky and Hutch recently (cos the Mrs fancied Hutch in her youth....) but again, after that it got silly.

For someone who doesn't watch TV that sounds like quite a lot - but it's all spread out, like 🙂

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

The Gentle Touch, The Sweeney and The Professionals.  Flamin heck!

And for a few laughs i bet the posters on this thread like a little Duty Free, Never the Twain and a bit of Home to Roost?

😄 
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

And for a few laughs i bet the posters on this thread like a little Duty Free, Never the Twain and a bit of Home to Roost?

😄 

Awesome programmes they were! Only When I Laugh and The Good Life were also fantastic.

snowdog said:

😄 

Awesome programmes they were! Only When I Laugh and The Good Life were also fantastic.

Yep, so many great TV shows in the late 70s early 80s.  Big Deal was a gem, and then i'm trying to think of one with a blond guy (think he was also a singer) who had a girlfriend that he ditched at the altar then bumps into her again years later???  I'll find it eventually.

**Just Good Friends***
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Digikid1
Consultant
I prefer cartoons and older ( a.k.a GOOD ) tv shows.  Todays tv shows are garbage IMHO.....except for a couple good ones.

Supergirl
The Flash
Last Man Standing
That's pretty much all that interests me on Netflix.

As for cartoons/anime I watch the following....and the anime MUST BE IN ENGLISH DUB....no silly jap girly voices for me.

YuGiOh ( all of them )
Digimon ( all series )
Dragonball ( all series )

As for anything else I watch Bluray/DVD sets that I have purchased from stores.

Babylon 5 series
Star Trek Series ( everything except the original....too cheesy....AND NO DISCOVERY!  UGH!!!! )
Home Improvement
ALF
Mutant X
Smallville
Lois and Clark: The Adventures of Superman ( excellent series )

and the list goes on and on.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Babylon 5 was awesome, loved that programme! That's another one that I rewatch every few years.

As far as the superhero series goes I love the ones mentioned above plus Arrow, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and Daredevil, with Daredevil being my favourite.

I do have a big issue with Supergirl though tbh. Not only is the wimpy and white Jimmy Olsen now black but he's also 8 feet tall, built like a brick shithouse and is now a superhero himself. Ridiculous. They've COMPLETELY changed the original character in every way possible. I'm surprised they haven't gone to whole hog and made him transgender too for the sake of political correctness lol

Techy111
MVP
MVP
The Bodyguard BBC1 and no not the movie. Plus I'm just getting into Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime 🙂
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

LZoltowski
Champion
I rarely like new TV shows these days, anything good gets cancelled too quickly, my favs in no particular order

Stargate SG1
Startrek TNG, DS9, Voyager
Stranger Things
Supernatural
Fringe
Person of Interest
the OA
Jessica Jones
Westworld
Almost Human - (got cancelled after 1 season for being too expensive, but was ace)
The Black List
Futurama 

Watching the new JJ Abrams / Stephen King show Castle Rock at the moment, it's rather good!

@@snowdog it's a fictional character, not a historical figure, there have been so many versions of all the characters in all the universes and ages, I don't see a problem with the characters evolving.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂