cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long will it be, before we get a app that everyone wants?

Congratulations
Adventurer
how long do you think it will take before we will get a VR app which everyone wants? What kind of app will it be? 
15 REPLIES 15

kernow
Heroic Explorer
No such thing exists in any realm. Even in food, not everybody wants chicken, and not everyone wants beef, not everyone wants meat, and there are many people who do not even want solid food and avoid it. And with things that are not necessities (unlike eating), there is a huge portion of the population, like Richooal, which become repelled by things that become very popular (same thing happens in the rest of the animal kingdom... it's a great built-in survival strategy/instinct that ensures a portion of the population survives if something popular turns out to be deadly and kills the "sheep").

Anonymous
Not applicable
As everybody else said, it simply does not exist, even in other platforms and media xD!
We don't need "one single app", we need "several apps from all genres", so that everyone can get what they want.
And every genre is already available in VR. Hell, I'll even dare say that some of them already have VR killer-apps (all the sim genres, the FPS genre, the Rythm-based genre, but also horror, RPG, RTS and zombie-killing).
But even the other genres already have great games.
As for the "VR-specific genre", there already are a lot of unique software. Somebody already mentionned Google Earth VR (it just feels so great to fly like Superman xD ; also, it does allow some sort of "visit"), but there is also Tilt Brush, Quill and Medium. Those four are perfect to introduce VR. But if Tilt Brush is usually available to test in stores, it's not the case of the others...

The problem with VR content isn't the content itself: it's the marketing
- First and foremost, VR is hard to describe. Thus it's hard for it to appeal without trying it.
- Then, as most of the market is indie, there is very few actual advertisement. The good games are flooded in the amount of sh*t that's being released everyday. Even the VR community isn't properly introduced to the VR content...
- The demonstrations in stores are not really convincing. As they're short (10-15 minutes?), some apps just aren't properly introduced. Of course 15 minutes is enough to show VR, but not to show the VR content. For example, when I tried out Tilt Brush, I was impressed but as I suck as an artist, my drawing was lame xD! I would have loved it if I had been able to load the works of other people.
- Finally, the public is misinformed a lot. SO many BS we can hear on VR : those who say it's "gadget" without trying it, those who say it's "dangerous for health", ... I even met someone who refused to try out a Rift because they had tried VR 20 years ago and it made them sick back then. Of course in 20 years the tech hasn't evolved, everyone knows that, it's obvious...

Anyway, I think the main problem of VR right now is not the content, it's the lack of actual good demonstration and proper advertisement.

Little_Robot_Fa
Explorer

MowTin said:

VR stands for Virtual Reality. To have a real virtual reality you need a virtual world. 

VR needs an engaging thriving open virtual city with NPC's and real players. 

VR needs the Oasis like in Ready Player One. 

The closest thing we have to that right now is VRChat.
It has a long way to go, but I am totally addicted.

It has lost a bit of popularity since the first meme and youtuber craze. But still has a healthy population. It had its "Pokemon Go" moment back around December. Hopefully more people will come back when it becomes better optimized and updated to the recent Unity version, and Udon is properly implemented.

Either that, or someone will be ambitious enough to make an improved competitor to VRChat and people will jump over.
Old VR PC: HP Pavillion Power,  Intel Core i5-7400, NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB Graphics, 8 GB RAM
New VR PC: HP Omen 880-130,    Intel Core i7-8700K, GTX 1080TI, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD

What I use VR for:
VRChat! Also, Airtone, Beat Saber, OrbusVR, SkyrimVR and DolphinVR

Features I most want:
1. Full Body Tracking 2. Full finger tracking 3. Haptics 4. Wireless Tracking 5. Wider FOV 6. Improved Resolution/Less Screendoor

inovator
Consultant
What game does everyone want? Answer: it doesn't exist.all have different tastes. If you mean killer app,it doesnt exist. The killer app is vr 

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
i would like a camera around distant lands like tokyo to look around in in an official high quality picture thats live. that would be a gud app. go to the arab world, uk, americas, fiji, australia, taiwan, all around and watch people walk around town, hear the wind in my ear, go to concerts in korea and watch kpop stars like black pink or red velvet live.

Anonymous
Not applicable
i would like a camera around distant lands like tokyo to look around in in an official high quality picture thats live.

I can only recommend you take a look at the various 360 videos that are available on the net ^^. It may not be live, but the quality can be very good.