cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Along Together, an adorable Lucky's Tale style puzzle platformer for Oculus GO, GearVR and Rift

LZoltowski
Champion
I found this little gem yesterday, it's adorable and engaging, the puzzles get progressively intricate. It's a fantastic game on the GO, relaxing but also challenging.

It's on sale at the moment.

https://youtu.be/gbP3OmUdnrA

Highly recommended if you liked Lucky's Tale. 

Nice to see games for both GO and Rift coming out.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
30 REPLIES 30

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Rating a game 1 out of 5 stars based solely on SS support seems a bit much, but to each their own. This is a puzzler, and it offers a fun experience far beyond just eye candy.

Regardless, it has a near perfect 5-star rating on OH right now, with nearly 150 reviews so far:

nrosko
Superstar

RuneSR2 said:

BTW, I just tested Along Together enabling just ss 1.5 - and it caused a massive slowdown just like ss 2.0. So at least for now, don't enable ss for Along Together. Maybe I'm not being kind to the devs, but I simply can't play that game using ss 1.0; if the devs can't fix the ss problem that game will be 1/5 stars to me, sadly. When first you've gotten use to high levels of ss it's nearly impossible to go back - unless the devs create some true texturing magic like in Seeking Dawn.

This seems a bit odd. Is your card maxed out?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

nrosko said:

RuneSR2 said:

BTW, I just tested Along Together enabling just ss 1.5 - and it caused a massive slowdown just like ss 2.0. So at least for now, don't enable ss for Along Together. Maybe I'm not being kind to the devs, but I simply can't play that game using ss 1.0; if the devs can't fix the ss problem that game will be 1/5 stars to me, sadly. When first you've gotten use to high levels of ss it's nearly impossible to go back - unless the devs create some true texturing magic like in Seeking Dawn.

This seems a bit odd. Is your card maxed out?

I'm not sure - I think it's some kind of weird error, of course this game should work perfectly using ss 1.5 on a GTX 1080. I'm getting profound stuttering, feels like 10-20 fps - it's definitely not 45 fps ASW. This is a rather simple game, I haven't spent much time enabling the OTT HUDs, maybe I should 🙂 

Of course this game may have great gameplay, the harsh 1/5 rating is just a very personal rating from me stating that I'm not going to play this game in ss 1.0. Well, need to finish Kin too - it's a solid 90+ fps in ss 2.0 😉 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Ok, I may have solved some of the mystery. Along Together seems to react to the global ss - but in strange ways.

Selecting global ss 1.5 gives me ss 1.96 - 2.11 in game (2.11 when the game starts) - and when Rift is set as my primary audio device, the game worked perfectly for the first time - that is, I got solid 90 fps using ss 2.11! That's cool! :-:smile:

But back to my usual global ss 2.0 - now the game starts in ss 2.60!  :#  And that doesn't work well.  

It seems that Along Together is using adaptive ss (or multiplies the global ss by 1.3 to 1.4), and if you're not using global ss of 0 (=1.0) this may lead to all sorts of errors. 

I have a problem with latest version of Oculus Tray Tool, so profiles don't load - but global ss always works perfectly. Otherwise my suggestion would be to create a profile for Along Together and not to use ss beyond 1.5 even if you're running a 1080 Ti. And I did this audio adjustment too (enabling Audio Switcher in OTT to set Rift as default), because the game is known for audio problems - Rift Audio Mirroring may create problems:

3ddtjr6vnkde.jpg

Now if only the devs would leave ss to 1.0 (or 0) and not make ss some kind of adaptive, all would be good for OTT users - I think... 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Just informed the devs - and after seeing the game running in 90 fps ss 2.11 I think the devs have deserved a 3/5 rating, maybe more when I've checked the gameplay thoroughly - but since the devs do read the reviews I wrote the following:

afbwgce8l0yg.jpg  

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
BTW, another thing, I'm left-handed (and my 6 and 10 year-old sons are left-handed too), it seems that Along Together uses right-handed controls that cannot be changed? 

Guess it was ok in Doom VFR, because I don't mind having the grenade launcher glued to my left arm (and the kids aren't allowed to play that game), but in Along Together it would be great being able to use left-handed Touch controls (do let me know if I've overlooked something)

BTW, just checked the audio thoroughly, Along Together works fine using Rift Audio Mirroring (=no need to use OTT Audio Switcher), just be sure not to use global ss of more than 1.5, unless your video card can handle more than ss 2.1 in-game 😉 (I'm guessing that ASW doesn't work correctly in this game causing everything to happen in slow-motion if 90 fps cannot be maintained.)

nrosko
Superstar

RuneSR2 said:

Ok, I may have solved some of the mystery. Along Together seems to react to the global ss - but in strange ways.

Selecting global ss 1.5 gives me ss 1.96 - 2.11 in game (2.11 when the game starts) - and when Rift is set as my primary audio device, the game worked perfectly for the first time - that is, I got solid 90 fps using ss 2.11! That's cool! :-:smile:

But back to my usual global ss 2.0 - now the game starts in ss 2.60!  :#  And that doesn't work well.  

It seems that Along Together is using adaptive ss (or multiplies the global ss by 1.3 to 1.4), and if you're not using global ss of 0 (=1.0) this may lead to all sorts of errors. 

I have a problem with latest version of Oculus Tray Tool, so profiles don't load - but global ss always works perfectly. Otherwise my suggestion would be to create a profile for Along Together and not to use ss beyond 1.5 even if you're running a 1080 Ti. And I did this audio adjustment too (enabling Audio Switcher in OTT to set Rift as default), because the game is known for audio problems - Rift Audio Mirroring may create problems:

Now if only the devs would leave ss to 1.0 (or 0) and not make ss some kind of adaptive, all would be good for OTT users - I think... 

How do you know its running at 1.96-2.11? Is that what it shows in their menu? 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

nrosko said:

RuneSR2 said:

How do you know its running at 1.96-2.11? Is that what it shows in their menu? 

No, I'm activating the Oculus Tray Tool HUD for Pixel Density (=Visual HUD Overlay) - then you can continuously monitor the pixel density in a game or app. You can also choose HUD for performance - then you can observe your frame rate. It's a bit cumbersome as you can't see both at once, but you can remove the headset and adjust pixel density or change HUD and you don't need to restart OTT or the game/app, as these changes are now applied instantly. The HUDs are great tools to be sure you're really getting 90 fps - or the correct pixel density. 

PS. I'm thinking that the pixel density HUD may be 0.01 off - it typically shows "2.01" when I've locked 2.0. So I'm thinking that 1.96 to 2.11 probably is 1.95 to 2.10. Choosing "0" is the same as "do nothing" - which normally would correspond to ss 1.0. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
My 6-year-old son tried the game today and liked it - even though it's right handed controls, but that's no big deal. The game is working perfectly on my system with ss 1.5 (=ss 2.1 in-game), so far it's been smooth 90+ fps all the way (we just reached the first mountain level). 
I raised my rating in the Oculus Store to 4/5, I don't think I can ever go higher, I don't think this game is as good as Lucky's Tale. I only award 5/5 for something truly spectacular, and we're quite a long way from Lone Echo quality here. But it's a fun game, especially for the kids - and young kids will need help (many puzzles are tricky), so it's a perfect family game for a rainy Sunday 😉

BTW, ApollyonVR is checking my Oculus Tray Tool logs right now, it seems that my Along Together profile isn't always activated. Should others experience similar problems, just close the game and restart it - chances are that the profile now is working. Or use a global ss of 1.5 or less. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
As mentioned in another thread, using TIMER instead of WMI seems to make sure that the OTT profile always works in Along Together. At least I've tested the game over several days and probably started the game more than 20 times, and using TIMER my ss 1.5 profile has been constantly working. Note that the devs are using super-sampling in-game, so persons using global ss 1.0 (default if you don't use OTT, or maybe it's 0, but that's much the same thing) you're probably getting something like ss 1.3 in-game automatically. An OTT profile ss 1.5 still results in ss 2.10 in-game, but that works perfectly (in this game) on my rig (90+ fps, no ASW).