cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Dog Peed on my Rift Headse

Anonymous
Not applicable
uph4v3qhi1iy.jpegIt dried and It reeks. It’s on the plastic and all in the stretch Lycra surround the lenses. The little A**hole wandered into the room and decided to mark them as his own. I know the lenses are delicate and have only tried a tiny drop of dish soap for the Lycra. Did nearly nothing. Is it possible to remove the Lycra and put it back? The smell is rancid and he literally lined up the entire nose portion and let er’ Rip. Any ideas? 
25 REPLIES 25

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee
That would piss me off.

And no, the fabric isn't removable.  I think your best bet is multiple cleanings to try and dilute the pee and then soak it up with a paper towel.
Might be worth contacting support, doubt it's covered under the warranty.  Or your homeowners or renter's insurance.

LZoltowski
Champion
The only way I can see you fixing this is to use a dog urine neutralising agent, one of the ones that are enzyme based as they don't contain harsh chemicals. There are plenty on Amazon, the enzymes break down urine crystals. Prepare a LARGE bag of rice in a container that can be made airtight, spray a generous amount on the affected area, on a DISCONNECTED rift wait for a few seconds and place in the rice immediately. Close the container. Do not take out for at least 3-4 days. The rice will extract any moisture out of the headset including the dissolved urine crystals and lock it up.

This will void your warranty and can potentially break your rift so at your own risk.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

falken76
Expert Consultant
Miracle's Nature is the name of one of the enzyme based cleaners.  Part of the process involves leaving the item in the sun while the chemicals break down the piss.  So you'd probably have to cover the lenses or they might get damaged by the sun.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The only way I can see you fixing this is to use a dog urine neutralising agent, one of the ones that are enzyme based as they don't contain harsh chemicals. There are plenty on Amazon, the enzymes break down urine crystals. Prepare a LARGE bag of rice in a container that can be made airtight, spray a generous amount on the affected area, on a DISCONNECTED rift wait for a few seconds and place in the rice immediately. Close the container. Do not take out for at least 3-4 days. The rice will extract any moisture out of the headset including the dissolved urine crystals and lock it up.

This will void your warranty and can potentially break your rift so at your own risk.

Well at this point it might as well be broken since it’s unusable In this state. That’s a lot of info, Thanks for the in depth instructions. At the same time that sounds like a lot of work with no guarantees. 

You think there is a tape that would be safe to use to mask the lenses? Im
thinking it would be a lot easier if can just scrub the S out of the Lycra with a brush and those solutions you recommended if I don’t have to fret about getting any on the lenses. 

w_benjamin
Adventurer
I've seen videos of the headset being broken down for walkthroughs.
You might be able to disassemble it and get at all the components that need cleaning. (I suspect there's pee way down deeper than just at the surface.)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Bloody hell, I think I'd bite the bullet and buy a new one rather than having even the possibility of dog wee anywhere near my mush  😮

Anonymous
Not applicable

snowdog said:

Bloody hell, I think I'd bite the bullet and buy a new one rather than having even the possibility of dog wee anywhere near my mush  😮

I agree, they are pretty cheap at the moment... You would also get some extra sensors etc..

I've been looking at all sorts of cleaning options... dry-cleaning... dry-ice cleaning... I can't find anything that wouldn't either put the lenses or the electronics at risk.

Try a masking agent first but if I was in your position I think I'd take Snowdog's & SimonNQ's advice and look at a replacement. Pet urine seems to be one of those substances that doesn't really go away.

Having said that, if you do decide on a replacement, I guess there's nothing to lose from looking at some teardown info, dismantling the thing and going industrial with the cleaning.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Oculus+Rift+CV1+Teardown/60612

Anonymous
Not applicable
Probably best to wait a couple of weeks if deciding to buy a new one, I can see Oculus announcing a price cut to $299 at OC5.