cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Go is the furthest thing from a standalone device imaginable. Total false advertising.

ryancarmichael3
Honored Guest
Oculus Go is the furthest thing from a standalone device imaginable.

The Oculus Go requires you to also buy a very new smartphone.  At minimum, it should be ready to download content straight from the web in order to be a standalone device.  All over the web it's being sold as a standalone device.  How is Oculus getting away with this scam? 

23 REPLIES 23

kojack
MVP
MVP
I mean, it is annoying that a phone is needed occasionally, since the Go runs android already.

But it's certainly not "the furthest thing from a standalone device imaginable", when almost all well known VR headsets (besides the Vive Focus) are less stand alone than the Go. 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

kevinw729 said:

We only used the Dev version that plugged into a PC - does the consumer one need to sync with a mobile??

Yes, hence this which you posted.  I thought it was a hilarious mickey-take.  I find it slightly ridiculous that you have to do this to be honest.

yalmj9x3vvan.png
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

TwoHedWlf said:

At this point, smart phones are so common it's about on par with buying Ikea furniture and complaining that it doesn't tell you that it may also require a hammer.  It's just a basic tool practically everyone has.  Even little kids have them.  I might even be able to set up the Go using my TV since it's running Android.

Yes but it's no good piling on a consumer who has quite rightly pointed out a glaringly obvious annoyance - there were several threads like this when it was released - it's an inconvenience.  "Standalone" is trumpeted while "you need a mobile" is not so well trumpeted.

User experience, and all that!
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I love the GO but the marketing babble here is bollox with an "always read the small print" attachment. Whilst I like the phone app, It would have been nice to simply connect to wifi within the headset OS for a true standalone product.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
I think this illustrates one of the fundamental problems with OVR currently.

They had a marketing initiative originally that was led on a broken agenda and poor business sense. In removing the management behind this they have not filled the void left behind and have continued with a broken approach to promoting and selling their hardware.

From the US and UK advertisement I have reviewed for the OGO, its is clear that some OVR execs think a watered down "Apple" style campaign was suitable - with a lack of definition that allows the levelling of allegations such as from the OP. 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Digikid1
Consultant
This should be moved to the OCULUS GO section.....

LZoltowski
Champion

Digikid1 said:

This should be moved to the OCULUS GO section.....

Well spotted, done
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

nieuwevleugel
Honored Guest
My oculus go don't make contact with my computer (windows 10).

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Switch the Go on, plug it into the pc with the included usb cable, then put on your go then allow access. That should work ok ? If not then start your own thread or contact support 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Jimbob2bob
Protege
You also need to use your phone App to request refunds and access Developer Mode.