cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do Oculus use materials instead of using Pv leather for your face?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Why do Oculus use materials instead of Pv leather and memory foam for your face? I just find any material on my face becomes uncomfortable after only a short period of time. With the Pv leather from from VR cover, I'm able to wear the CV1 for as long as I want, but not with the materials Oculus uses on CV1. With Pv leather you can also wipe it and keep it clean. The one thing Oculus should look at most is comfort, it's what I'll look at most in a headset from now on. I'm about to purchase an OculusGo for movie watching, but it will have to go straight back if this material they insist on using becomes uncomfortable.

Just use Pv leather and memory foam and the jobs a good one from then on..
9 REPLIES 9

Digikid1
Consultant
and yet I hate PV leather on my face.  I actually prefer the standard interface over ANY of the stuff that I bought from VRCover.

Not everyone likes the same thing.  Oculus was quite in the right by making it as it is.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Digikid1 said:

and yet I hate PV leather on my face.  I actually prefer the standard interface over ANY of the stuff that I bought from VRCover.

Not everyone likes the same thing.  Oculus was quite in the right by making it as it is.

As you said: "Not everyone likes the same thing." So having a choice of two might have been a better option. If it hadn't been for VR Cover, I was about to send my CV1 back because I couldn't last more then 20 mins without it irritating my skin. Lots of people I've spoken with online have also purchased VR Cover for the exact same reason. It would have been a shame to see lots of Oculus returns just because there was no other option like VR Cover. Such a simple thing as comfort can kill a sale and Oculus need to take this onboard in future..

I'm going to purchase the OculusGO, but if the material irritates me like it did with CV1, then it's going to be returned I'm sorry to say..

Anonymous
Not applicable
love my VR covers

kzintzi
Trustee
but isn't that the point of VR Cover? not trying to provoke an argument, but as you said you don't like the default so you're able to purchase a custom jobbie from them and have what you want.. if Oculus did it then there would be no niche for them to exist;  sure VR Cover could still exist, but there would be less people using them so they wouldn't be as viable and so they would disappear..

I agree it's nice to have options, but trying to be all things to all people prevents innovation around the edges..
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been using my Rift quite heavily since getting it in Jan 2017, no problem with the comfort on the cover it came with. I probably should replace it with another soon though as it has been so long.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@kzintzi - That's right, but I don't see a cover been made for OculusGO yet. I just hope it's comfortable and doesn't require one. It also took some time for VR Cover to get it right with CV1. They even had to include a face plate to allow the cover to work, which would have increased the cost. People don't want to have to wait before their headset becomes comfortable for them..

Techy111
MVP
MVP
@RedRizla you'll like the material on the Go much more mate, very refined and doesn't have the "cheap" feel of the rift. Pic for you fella 😉

5nqwz46y4z8v.jpg
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

LZoltowski
Champion

Techy111 said:

@RedRizla you'll like the material on the Go much more mate, very refined and doesn't have the "cheap" feel of the rift. Pic for you fella 😉

5nqwz46y4z8v.jpg

I love the little "bling" lens flare. And yes the foam on the Oculus Go is space age compared to the thing that is on the Rift.

Especially on the temples, the rift pinches my temples as I have a humongous head and it can cause discomfort. The go snugs my face like the alien facehugger and feels glorious.

They also offer alternative faceplate for the GO for people with a differently shaped head.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
I absolutely can't stand that fake leather crap. PU leather being the worst of them imho. That said, it's good that there are options for those who prefer something other than foam. If the Rift had come with PU leather, I'm sure VR covers would be there making cloth/foam cover replacements for it.