cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After 1.30 and 1.30.1 update a lot of stuttering in the Rift headset

Hamsteren
Explorer
Hey guys

I know this is not a new discussion but i try anyways. I simply want to find out if i'm the only one having this issue right now?

My specs:
i7 7700k
gtx 1080 asus rog strix
16 gb hyperx ram
500 gb ssd intel
Corsair 850 watt psu

After the recent updates i have had constant stuttering/lag/flickering in the Rift headset when turning my head.

To avoid thousands of solutions i will try to come with facts!

I havent changed anything in my system from where i had ZERO problems till now!!!
ONLY installing the updates that are coming from time to time!

Within the last 10 days i have updated:

1. Windows 10 (happens auto of cource)
2. Updated to latest Nvidia Driver 399.24 and today 411.63 ( did not fix the problem)
3. The first Oculus update came 10 days ago, (1.30.0), and then again 6 days ago.
The last being 1.30.1 witch i suspect could be the problem but without
knowing! The 1.30.1 update had no explanation it it...just an update? I am NOT 100 % sure, but as far as i remember this is where it all started. I think i made 1.30.1 and the Nvidia driver updates the same day!

I am also in contact with the support team at this moment. I have done everything they asked me to do.

Updating drivers for the Oculus software
Updating drivers for my USB ports
Deselecting power savings from the USB ports.

I have 2 censors connected to usb 3.0. Only have 3.0 usb ports.

None of it helped. 

Because they think it is a tracking problem. But when i look in oculus connections there are no errors. No warnings!

To sumarise: I am getting pissed of by support teams, (in general), almost asking you to take your Pc appart and then putting it back together! They apparently think that all Pc owners are nerds. But no...not me, and most people are not!!!

Let's get to the point from day 1 you recieve a support ticket, and let's keep this discussion on point and don't waste my time!!!

I know that this is a software related issue. I know i'm not the first oculus owner who has this problem!

Can anyone relate to this?

Kind regards to all

29 REPLIES 29

Hamsteren
Explorer
I am also using the Oculus core 2.0 Beta version.

Hamsteren
Explorer

Hamsteren said:

TomCgcmfc said:

I have similar specs and have not noticed any problems with 1.30.1 and my Oculus Rift w/2x sensors (all into usb 3.0 ports, same as you).

I am using nvidia driver 398.82

Only thing I can suggest you try is to install the 398.82 driver and use ddu beforehand (in windows safe mode) to properly clear previous graphic drivers.  Also, check your nvidia control panel 3d settings and make sure your power setting is set to prefer max performance.

I did try to roll back to 398.82 the other day, but not with a total clean install like you mention. Just did it from Nvidias homepage. I could actually play without any problems for about 3 hours that night. Next day the stuttering was back.

I am mostly playing racing games like Assetto Corsa and PC 2, iRacing.

Okay, so did actually check the 3d settings, and the global power setting was set to save power?
I will try a restart Pc, and the try the Oculus. Crossing fingers :#
Thanks for the advice

Hamsteren
Explorer

Hamsteren said:

Hamsteren said:

TomCgcmfc said:

I have similar specs and have not noticed any problems with 1.30.1 and my Oculus Rift w/2x sensors (all into usb 3.0 ports, same as you).

Only thing I can suggest you try is to install the 398.82 driver and use ddu beforehand (in windows safe mode) to properly clear previous graphic drivers.  Also, check your nvidia control panel 3d settings and make sure your power setting is set to prefer max performance.

I did try to roll back to 398.82 the other day, but not with a total clean install like you mention. Just did it from Nvidias homepage. I could actually play without any problems for about 3 hours that night. Next day the stuttering was back.

Okay, so did actually check the 3d settings, and the global power setting was set to save power?
Thanks for the advice

Hamsteren
Explorer

Hamsteren said:

Hamsteren said:

Hamsteren said:

TomCgcmfc said:

Thanks for the advice

It worked for 20 minutes. Played Arizona Sunshine for 10 min. and everything was smooth.
Opened
steam and started a single race in Assetto Corsa. Graphic was smooth
but noticed that suddenly i had no sound ind the rift. Closed AC, and
selected the rift as main audio in the windows desktop screen (don't know how this was deselected,
always has it to the rift). I then went back to AC and started another
race, and the stutter was back :s
I am seriusly confused.
Left the Oculus for ten minutes, and went back to Oculus home, and the stutter was gone again?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Don’t really know but it sounds like there might be some background process hogging your resources.  Maybe like a windows update or a virus checker scan.  When you notice the stuttering try starting windows task manager and see if there is anything obvious.  
Maybe try disabling your virus checker.

Could also be that you are running out of usb bandwidth.  Try to avoid plugging in any unnecessary usb devices.

Sorry, all I can think of right now.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

thyaggo_tcr7
Honored Guest
can you see???  https://youtu.be/iSljVt3sjaQ
im losing hope in this software.

Hamsteren
Explorer

TomCgcmfc said:

Don’t really know but it sounds like there might be some background process hogging your resources.  Maybe like a windows update or a virus checker scan.  When you notice the stuttering try starting windows task manager and see if there is anything obvious.  

Could also be that you are running out of usb bandwidth.  Try to avoid plugging in any unnecessary usb devices.

The USB bandwidth thing is actually there conclusion after i have sent them a Oculus log file for them to invetigate today!
I have 2 sensors and my headset connected to the back of my Pc. All in usb 3.0...dont have any 2.0!
I have four 3.0 usb hubs in the back and to in the front. What i asked them was, if the back and front usb hubs are running as one controller, or if it is 2 seperate units! Waiting an answer on that one!
My concern with there conclusion is that i have always had my Rift connected like that, without any tracking issues!
It all happened after updating Windows 10, GPU driver, and Oculus within few days!
I'm confused

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Hamsteren said:

TomCgcmfc said:

The USB bandwidth thing is actually there conclusion after i have sent them a Oculus log file for them to invetigate today!
I have 2 sensors and my headset connected to the back of my Pc. All in usb 3.0...dont have any 2.0!
I have four 3.0 usb hubs in the back and to in the front. What i asked them was, if the back and front usb hubs are running as one controller, or if it is 2 seperate units! Waiting an answer on that one!
My concern with there conclusion is that i have always had my Rift connected like that, without any tracking issues!
It all happened after updating Windows 10, GPU driver, and Oculus within few days!
I'm confused

Ya, well I would continue to work with Oculus support.  Also, I would opting out of any betas, including core 2.0.  Going back to the original core 1.0 Oculus home has gotten rid of some stuttering for myself and others.  Good luck with this and I hope you manage to sort it all out, for a while anyway, lol!

BTW, after a win10 update yesterday one of my sensor connections was a bit off (= poor tacking warning, and reporting usb 2.0 in a usb 3.0 port).  I found that the usb hub I plugged it into was no longer reporting it as a superspeed 3.0 one.  Anyway, ended up reinstalling Oculus drivers, uninstalled my usb devices, moved my rift usb to a diff usb port (usb 3.1 w/adapter), restart everything, and it finally all came good.  

Always seems to be something that needs to be fiddled with after most windows 10 and/or Oculus updates, not sure why?
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

StormyDoesVR
Heroic Explorer
I've actually been experiencing this problem as well, however for me it's more of a problem in UE4 related content than anything else. For instance, Robo Recall and Oculus Home (which runs on UE4) both have stuttering issues, but when I play a Unity game (such as Rec Room) everything works just fine. Oculus Home has been quite jittery for me recently as well though, more than usual. I'm running a 1070 and 16GB of DDR3 Vengeance ram on a 4590, btw.
------------------------------
PC specs - GTX 1070 (MSI AERO); 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3; intel i5-4590, MSI motherboard (don't remember but it was a combo deal) and an EVGA Supernova 750W semi-modular.

Hamsteren
Explorer

TomCgcmfc said:

Hamsteren said:

TomCgcmfc said:

I'm confused

Ya, well I would continue to work with Oculus support.  Also, I would opting out of any betas, including core 2.0.  Going back to the original core 1.0 Oculus home has gotten rid of some stuttering for myself and others.  Good luck with this and I hope you manage to sort it all out, for a while anyway, lol!

BTW, after a win10 update yesterday one of my sensor connections was a bit off (= poor tacking warning, and reporting usb 2.0 in a usb 3.0 port).  I found that the usb hub I plugged it into was no longer reporting it as a superspeed 3.0 one.  Anyway, ended up reinstalling Oculus drivers, uninstalled my usb devices, moved my rift usb to a diff usb port (usb 3.1 w/adapter), restart everything, and it finally all came good.  

Always seems to be something that needs to be fiddled with after most windows 10 and/or Oculus updates, not sure why?

Hey Tom
Last night i moved everything around. 2 sensors to the front usb's and the headset to the back. Also have a G29 steering wheel to the back and the keyboard usb aswell. The mouse usb is connected to a 3.1 ss usb now! Started playing Arizona sunshine...still with stutter/lag. But then i tryed lowering the graphic settings ingame, and the stutter was gone. After that i started playing Robo Recall, but without lowering the settings, and the game ran smooth! All in all, about an hour of gameplay without any problems??? And i stopped using the Rift core 2.0 last night aswell.
But lowering graphic settings all of the sudden, to me is the wrong way to go. Æhhh...new GPU drivers... updating windows/oculus, should give you a better performance right, and not the other way around, ha ha. Long time ago i made the graphic settings in all games so they where playable in the Rift!
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?