After 1.30 and 1.30.1 update a lot of stuttering in the Rift headset — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

After 1.30 and 1.30.1 update a lot of stuttering in the Rift headset

HamsterenHamsteren Posts: 22
Brain Burst
Hey guys

I know this is not a new discussion but i try anyways. I simply want to find out if i'm the only one having this issue right now?

My specs:
i7 7700k
gtx 1080 asus rog strix
16 gb hyperx ram
500 gb ssd intel
Corsair 850 watt psu

After the recent updates i have had constant stuttering/lag/flickering in the Rift headset when turning my head.

To avoid thousands of solutions i will try to come with facts!

I havent changed anything in my system from where i had ZERO problems till now!!!
ONLY installing the updates that are coming from time to time!

Within the last 10 days i have updated:

1. Windows 10 (happens auto of cource)
2. Updated to latest Nvidia Driver 399.24 and today 411.63 ( did not fix the problem)
3. The first Oculus update came 10 days ago, (1.30.0), and then again 6 days ago. The last being 1.30.1 witch i suspect could be the problem but without knowing! The 1.30.1 update had no explanation it it...just an update? I am NOT 100 % sure, but as far as i remember this is where it all started. I think i made 1.30.1 and the Nvidia driver updates the same day!

I am also in contact with the support team at this moment. I have done everything they asked me to do.

Updating drivers for the Oculus software
Updating drivers for my USB ports
Deselecting power savings from the USB ports.

I have 2 censors connected to usb 3.0. Only have 3.0 usb ports.

None of it helped. 

Because they think it is a tracking problem. But when i look in oculus connections there are no errors. No warnings!

To sumarise: I am getting pissed of by support teams, (in general), almost asking you to take your Pc appart and then putting it back together! They apparently think that all Pc owners are nerds. But no...not me, and most people are not!!!

Let's get to the point from day 1 you recieve a support ticket, and let's keep this discussion on point and don't waste my time!!!

I know that this is a software related issue. I know i'm not the first oculus owner who has this problem!

Can anyone relate to this?

Kind regards to all

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,085
    Wintermute
    I have similar specs and have not noticed any problems with 1.30.1 and my Oculus Rift w/2x sensors (all into usb 3.0 ports, same as you).

I am using nvidia driver 398.82

Only thing I can suggest you try is to install the 398.82 driver and use ddu beforehand (in windows safe mode) to properly clear previous graphic drivers.  Also, check your nvidia control panel 3d settings and make sure your power setting is set to prefer max performance.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,755 Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2018
    I have almost identical specs to you, 3 sensors tho, everything running on the latest version, no issues.

Quick question are you running any GPU tweakers? Intel Extreme Tuning utility? They seem to conflict with newer Nvidia drivers.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,825 Valuable Player
    edited September 2018
    ok i know how to fix mine... only 1 title does it, but it does it 100% of the time for me, Elite dangerous.

For me the 100% fix, always works never failed.
    I load the game, framerate is gash, i mean not a little bit stuttery but 30fps with no ASW kind of thing

i alt tab out to the monitor, bring the oculus window to the front, click on apps / downloads (note i do not do anything with the settings)  and then go back into elite dangerous.

for the rest of the session it is flawless every time.
    I have no idea why this works, it makes no sense to me, but i can repeat it 100 times and it works every time.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,123
    Wintermute
    I've have games before outside of of VR where ou had to minimize and then go back into the game and then this fixed the issue, and other games where you had to play windowed mode, games are weird like that.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • HamsterenHamsteren Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    I have almost identical specs to you, 3 sensors tho, everything running on the latest version, no issues.

Quick question are you running any GPU tweakers? Intel Extreme Tuning utility? They seem to conflict with newer Nvidia drivers.

I thought i made my statement clear, but not enough :blush: I forgot that one... ha ha
    No GPU tweaks or any background apps running. I have never used those programs...neither monitoring programs!
    My GPU is factory clocked as you can see by the name, and that is enough for me. And i have not overclocked my CPU.
    All in all..., i am actually not touching anything but updates.

Brain Burst
    TomCgcmfc said:
    I have similar specs and have not noticed any problems with 1.30.1 and my Oculus Rift w/2x sensors (all into usb 3.0 ports, same as you).

Only thing I can suggest you try is to install the 398.82 driver and use ddu beforehand (in windows safe mode) to properly clear previous graphic drivers.  Also, check your nvidia control panel 3d settings and make sure your power setting is set to prefer max performance.
    I did try to roll back to 398.82 the other day, but not with a total clean install like you mention. Just did it from Nvidias homepage. I could actually play without any problems for about 3 hours that night. Next day the stuttering was back.

I am mostly playing racing games like Assetto Corsa and PC 2, iRacing.
    Wintermute
    DDU works much better than Nvidia clean install.  If you have not used this before just google ddu tutorials.  Lots of YT vids.

Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,755 Volunteer Moderator
    Hamsteren said:
    TomCgcmfc said:

I did try to roll back to 398.82 the other day, but not with a total clean install like you mention. Just did it from Nvidias homepage. I could actually play without any problems for about 3 hours that night. Next day the stuttering was back.

When you say the next day, did you fully shut down the PC or put it to sleep/hybernate?
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Brain Burst
    ok i know how to fix mine... only 1 title does it, but it does it 100% of the time for me, Elite dangerous.

For me the 100% fix, always works never failed.
    I load the game, framerate is gash, i mean not a little bit stuttery but 30fps with no ASW kind of thing

i alt tab out to the monitor, bring the oculus window to the front, click on apps / downloads (note i do not do anything with the settings)  and then go back into elite dangerous.

for the rest of the session it is flawless every time.
    I have no idea why this works, it makes no sense to me, but i can repeat it 100 times and it works every time.

Okay, that is also a heavy title, i think! But my concern is that, before the updates it was never an option for me to do this and do that to play my vr games. Everything ran like a knife in butter...i mean flawless :)

I really don't think that the stutter and flickering is because of low framerate or heavy load from games, because i have it in the Oculus Home as well. That meaning not playing any games.
    Its also there when playing non heavy titles!

But thanks for the heads up. Apriciated :)

Brain Burst
    I am also using the Oculus core 2.0 Beta version.
    Brain Burst
    Hamsteren said:
    TomCgcmfc said:

Okay, so did actually check the 3d settings, and the global power setting was set to save power?
    I will try a restart Pc, and the try the Oculus. Crossing fingers :#
    Thanks for the advice
    Brain Burst
    Hamsteren said:
    Hamsteren said:
    TomCgcmfc said:

Okay, so did actually check the 3d settings, and the global power setting was set to save power?
    Thanks for the advice

Brain Burst
    Hamsteren said:
    Hamsteren said:
    Hamsteren said:
    TomCgcmfc said:

Thanks for the advice

It worked for 20 minutes. Played Arizona Sunshine for 10 min. and everything was smooth.
    Opened steam and started a single race in Assetto Corsa. Graphic was smooth but noticed that suddenly i had no sound ind the rift. Closed AC, and selected the rift as main audio in the windows desktop screen (don't know how this was deselected, always has it to the rift). I then went back to AC and started another race, and the stutter was back :s
    I am seriusly confused.
    Left the Oculus for ten minutes, and went back to Oculus home, and the stutter was gone again?
    Wintermute
    Don’t really know but it sounds like there might be some background process hogging your resources.  Maybe like a windows update or a virus checker scan.  When you notice the stuttering try starting windows task manager and see if there is anything obvious.  
    Maybe try disabling your virus checker.

Could also be that you are running out of usb bandwidth.  Try to avoid plugging in any unnecessary usb devices.

Sorry, all I can think of right now.
  • thyaggo.tcr7thyaggo.tcr7 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    can you see??? 
    im losing hope in this software.
    Brain Burst
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Don’t really know but it sounds like there might be some background process hogging your resources.  Maybe like a windows update or a virus checker scan.  When you notice the stuttering try starting windows task manager and see if there is anything obvious.  

Could also be that you are running out of usb bandwidth.  Try to avoid plugging in any unnecessary usb devices.

The USB bandwidth thing is actually there conclusion after i have sent them a Oculus log file for them to invetigate today!
    I have 2 sensors and my headset connected to the back of my Pc. All in usb 3.0...dont have any 2.0!
    I have four 3.0 usb hubs in the back and to in the front. What i asked them was, if the back and front usb hubs are running as one controller, or if it is 2 seperate units! Waiting an answer on that one!
    My concern with there conclusion is that i have always had my Rift connected like that, without any tracking issues!
    It all happened after updating Windows 10, GPU driver, and Oculus within few days!
    I'm confused
    Wintermute
    edited September 2018
    Hamsteren said:
    TomCgcmfc said:

The USB bandwidth thing is actually there conclusion after i have sent them a Oculus log file for them to invetigate today!
    I have 2 sensors and my headset connected to the back of my Pc. All in usb 3.0...dont have any 2.0!
    I have four 3.0 usb hubs in the back and to in the front. What i asked them was, if the back and front usb hubs are running as one controller, or if it is 2 seperate units! Waiting an answer on that one!
    My concern with there conclusion is that i have always had my Rift connected like that, without any tracking issues!
    It all happened after updating Windows 10, GPU driver, and Oculus within few days!
    I'm confused
    Ya, well I would continue to work with Oculus support.  Also, I would opting out of any betas, including core 2.0.  Going back to the original core 1.0 Oculus home has gotten rid of some stuttering for myself and others.  Good luck with this and I hope you manage to sort it all out, for a while anyway, lol!

BTW, after a win10 update yesterday one of my sensor connections was a bit off (= poor tacking warning, and reporting usb 2.0 in a usb 3.0 port).  I found that the usb hub I plugged it into was no longer reporting it as a superspeed 3.0 one.  Anyway, ended up reinstalling Oculus drivers, uninstalled my usb devices, moved my rift usb to a diff usb port (usb 3.1 w/adapter), restart everything, and it finally all came good.  

Always seems to be something that needs to be fiddled with after most windows 10 and/or Oculus updates, not sure why?
  • Firestorm185Firestorm185 Posts: 99
    Hiro Protagonist
    I've actually been experiencing this problem as well, however for me it's more of a problem in UE4 related content than anything else. For instance, Robo Recall and Oculus Home (which runs on UE4) both have stuttering issues, but when I play a Unity game (such as Rec Room) everything works just fine. Oculus Home has been quite jittery for me recently as well though, more than usual. I'm running a 1070 and 16GB of DDR3 Vengeance ram on a 4590, btw.
    ------------------------------
    PC specs - GTX 1070 (MSI AERO); 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3; intel i5-4590, MSI motherboard (don't remember but it was a combo deal) and an EVGA Supernova 750W semi-modular.
    Brain Burst
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Hamsteren said:
    TomCgcmfc said:

I'm confused
    Ya, well I would continue to work with Oculus support.  Also, I would opting out of any betas, including core 2.0.  Going back to the original core 1.0 Oculus home has gotten rid of some stuttering for myself and others.  Good luck with this and I hope you manage to sort it all out, for a while anyway, lol!

BTW, after a win10 update yesterday one of my sensor connections was a bit off (= poor tacking warning, and reporting usb 2.0 in a usb 3.0 port).  I found that the usb hub I plugged it into was no longer reporting it as a superspeed 3.0 one.  Anyway, ended up reinstalling Oculus drivers, uninstalled my usb devices, moved my rift usb to a diff usb port (usb 3.1 w/adapter), restart everything, and it finally all came good.  

Always seems to be something that needs to be fiddled with after most windows 10 and/or Oculus updates, not sure why?
    Hey Tom
    Last night i moved everything around. 2 sensors to the front usb's and the headset to the back. Also have a G29 steering wheel to the back and the keyboard usb aswell. The mouse usb is connected to a 3.1 ss usb now! Started playing Arizona sunshine...still with stutter/lag. But then i tryed lowering the graphic settings ingame, and the stutter was gone. After that i started playing Robo Recall, but without lowering the settings, and the game ran smooth! All in all, about an hour of gameplay without any problems??? And i stopped using the Rift core 2.0 last night aswell.
    But lowering graphic settings all of the sudden, to me is the wrong way to go. Æhhh...new GPU drivers... updating windows/oculus, should give you a better performance right, and not the other way around, ha ha. Long time ago i made the graphic settings in all games so they where playable in the Rift!
    Wintermute
    Glad this worked for you. 
  • NacaryusNacaryus Posts: 216
    Nexus 6
    got the same problem, when i first enter home it stutters like hell, performance light is between yellow and red..i open a game like marvel powers united and everthing becomes cormal after some time stutter is no more..maybe i should try reinstall USBs and oculus drivers dunno
    Wintermute
    edited September 2018
    Nacaryus said:
    got the same problem, when i first enter home it stutters like hell, performance light is between yellow and red..i open a game like marvel powers united and everthing becomes cormal after some time stutter is no more..maybe i should try reinstall USBs and oculus drivers dunno
    Of course you have,  Everyone who sees a problem on this forum also has this, or multiple other problems , lol!

Just kidding btw!
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    You mentioned E:D, try not using ODT Tray Tool and use a lower HMD SuperSampling of 1.25 or 1.50 instead. The two programs use different ways for their percentages. E:D no longer needs outside SS. Free up as much RAM as you can. I have Win10Pro which does allow a switch to Disable Cortana properly. Also I run a Virtual Page RAM of 1.5x my 16GB RAM (so 24GB).
    Nexus 6
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Nacaryus said:
    Of course you have,  Everyone who sees a problem on this forum also has this, or multiple other problems , lol!

Just kidding btw!
    I really have this problem, btw :)
  • MarQcMarQc Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Got pretty much the same spec as the person who made the post, and I'll say there's definitely something wrong with either windows update or oculus update, I'm kind of bored of this stuff, it used to be only a driver problem with nvidia you just had to get the 388.59 and it was going at least some how better, but I've never got the spec I had last year at like mid november. Now it's just going nuts, like my hand can flip side, I got 3 sensor, 1080, i7700k, and yeah till pretty much the last 2 weeks I was able to make it work fine at least, now it's barely playable, I'm gonna try some stuff you've written here, but I've tried so much already I'm really getting tired of this crap, and might end up buying a vive just to not have to fight with every updates of any software on my pc. 
    Brain Burst
    Hamsteren said:
    TomCgcmfc said:

When you say the next day, did you fully shut down the PC or put it to sleep/hybernate?
    Yep...shut down
    Brain Burst
    Hey everyone
    Been a while since last comment in here, so i just want to sum things up, that i have experinced the last couple days!
    After all the fiddeling with usb moving around, and updating usb drivers and Oculus app, deleteting Nvidia drivers, reinstalling Nvidia drivers to newest, and NOT installing Gforce experiance, lowering graphic settings in games(?)... most of the time it runs without stutter! Now the stuttering comes randomly. It can be right after i enter Oculus Home, or it can come after hours of gameplay. I figured out that i just have to take the headset of for 5-10 seconds...and the stutter is gone again. Then i can play for hours again without any stutter! Very strange!!! Before all this the stuttering was there all the time. So what made things better,( but not perfect )...i really dont know?
    Once again i have to point out that before the updates everything was fine with the graphic settings i had, and no stutter at all!
    So the only thing i can say to others having same issues is to try the above mentioned things, without knowing what makes it 90 % better, but not 100 % as wanted!
    Have a nice weekend out there
    Nexus 6
    These latest updates definitely broke my experience and i dont even want to put the head set on..the same random stuttering happens to me too and its just makes me tired experiencing it and getting it to go away, this should not be this way..Any way i will send logs to oculus lets see what they have to say
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    You know - I just had an issue with Malwarebytes was causing some random stuttering - is anyone running that by off chance?