cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Rift keeps on disconnecting

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey guys,

I've been reading a lot about the issue I'm experiencing and have not found a solution. I am almost certain that my Rift is busted, and have logged a support ticket, but since they are taking forever to get back to me (I read about the atrocious response times and have pretty much attached everything but my birth certificate to the ticket :)), I thought let me put it out here and just maybe someone has seen this issue before and can help me resolve it.

I received my Rift Wednesday last week. I un-boxed it and connected it as soon as I got home from work. The Oculus compatibility tool showed all systems green (ASUS GeForce GTX 970, onboard USB - ASRock Z87 Extreme4 Motherboard, i5-4670k - not using any adapters). Installed the Rift software and started the calibration. During the calibration was the first time it happened. The Windows "you have just disconnected hardware" chime played. Took off the headset and saw a "Rift's Hdmi cable isn't plugged in" popup, followed by the Windows chime to show that it detected hardware again. At first I thought it was a dodgy cable but it seemed to happen mostly when I touch the goggles. Logged a support ticket that same night. I tried out different USB ports combinations - and for a moment on Thursday I thought I solved it my moving the sensor to a USB2 connection and having the headset plugged into a USB3 connection. It seemed to not drop the connection anymore. I fired up Elite Dangerous and within a few minutes it happend again.

I still sort of thought it had something to do with the cable (even though I've re-seated it both PC and headset side 10's of times) and made this video that I attached to my support ticket (which hasn't been viewed once as yet 😞 ). When I lightly shook the headset it lost it's connection. Sometime during my panic to get it working I ordered the recommend Inatech card from Amazon with express deliver (which costed me more than the card - Apparently Australia is REALLY far)

Then, over the weekend I messed around some more - upgraded by BIOS and reformatted my machine to rule out any bad/outdated drivers. Issue was still there, but then I noticed I can easily reproduce the issue when I lightly press the right side of the headset. Here is a demo. The Inatech card did not make any difference and I wish the support guys can just give me an indication of whether they are even still planning on looking at this. 

So, while I am waiting to hopefully one day hear back from them, has anyone seen this issue - and know how to fix it? Or am I cr*p out of luck... 😞
42 REPLIES 42

oleg_shutov
Honored Guest
I found pretty easy solution of the problem. Just disable Oculus headphones. It's not a cable - it's loose connection from set to heaphones. They located on adjustable sliding thing and it just stops working properly after multiple adjustments.

Hot_Pockets
Honored Guest
is this forum still active. im having a similar problem at the moment when trying to set up my rift. its been working since april this year and suddenly the headset just cuts out. did anyone find a solution?

markpillows
Explorer
bump, same shit,  frustrating as hell.  Tried running on all usb 3.0 to all on 2.0 and every conceivable combination in between.  Uninstalled and reinstalled oculus software.  Updated all drivers and running most up to date version of the oculus software.  Initially it works but the dreaded disconnect rears it's ugly head and then it's simply stuck with an error on the headset icon in the devices window.