New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

What Do You Think "high def VR" is?

kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,158 Valuable Player

urdgfqqehbbb.png
** Second New Book **
"The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Comments

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    I laughed at that post, so a mid-range experience is 4K 360 at 50-60 Mbps ... I doubt he will get that much bandwidth in space, very much doubt it.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • nosys70nosys70 Posts: 466
    Art3mis
    edited September 2018
    well , all depends what they call VR.
    if it is just a live video, it could be 180 degree fov (more than most VR headset today) in full HD.
    it could be 2x180 fov for 3D effect.
    It could be 360 video (4k needed, but not a problem in h.265 or if new codec AV1 or VP10  is available)
    it could be 8k, but that should be feasible in 2023

elon Musk being a Nerd , there is no doubt he will choose the best stuff available at the moment.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,708 Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2018

Over 20 pixels per degree, so that can apply to a 2D movie in VR or the native VR.

(the headset to do that doesn't exist yet)

Edit: that's my idea of high-def... no idea what Mr Musk's is. But at least he's not libelling cave rescuers so that's good.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.720)
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    Maybe he's gonna launch a new headset lol runs solely on lipos ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,017 Valuable Player
    I don't ever believe a word this guy says..
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,144 Valuable Player
    edited September 2018
    I read this in high def RL, minus the time it took for the light to bounce off the screen.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Well, the term HD is technically considered 1280 x 720 (or greater), so...
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • I'm pretty sure Musk himself doesn't know what he meant.
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 939
    3Jane
    As I recall, Ray Kurzweil also predicted high definition VR at some point, without defining “high definition,” so hard to predict when his prediction will ever be literally correct. To the users, I don’t think VR is ever “high definition,” or at least ever as high definition as they would like. 
  • nosys70nosys70 Posts: 466
    Art3mis
    edited September 2018

in layman term HD means a quality that makes the support almost invisible (or very close to the original)

SD is when reproduction is obvious.

ultra HD means you are over what you can normally perceive (and so why most people don't see difference between HD and UHD in normal condition).

So an headset who get screen door effect can hardly claim HD , even if the quality of the content could be HD.

So the pimax 8k  is pushing the problem back to the content. It will not make full hd (or even 4k) content better, but at least it will not be the weakest element in the reproduction chain.

So if we speak about VR played on a regular 4k screen (or even full HD ) or retna tablet , that is just a problem of getting good content.

If we put an VR helmet into the equation, device resolution and FOV will be the main criteria (but remember we are speaking about year 2023)

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,158 Valuable Player
    It would seem in later comments to selected media after the launch - the term VR was subjective, and that it sounds more like 360' video in hi-def than a headset only approach - we shall see in 2023!
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • kernowkernow Posts: 733
    Trinity
    Assuming we go with TV standard for K (960px/K as opposed to Cinema standard 1024px/K) : If it is anything less than 1920 pixels across 90° horizontal ( < 21.3°/px ), then I would not call that "HD". That would mean the video frame would have to be at least 7680px horizontal if you're talking about a 360° video frame. If it is only mono video, then I would not call that "VR" (just "360-video"). If it is stereo video, then I would consider it bare minimum VR ("fixed-position VR" at best). Fixed-position VR is probably a slight improvement over Alex DeLarge getting his Ludovico treatment (at least you can turn your head and blink). :)
  • VR_NimaVR_Nima Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    I would hope that it's an 8K Stereoscopic 60fps stream with Adaptive Viewport Streaming.  It would be roughly the equivalent of having 1440p of detail per eye at any given time.