cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus firmware update problem

fjlmal
Protege
It seems that today there is a new update for oculus rift firmware, but when I install it on my headset icon on devices it is still saying that I need to install the new firmware even though I have already don it.

I have restarted and reinstalled this firmware a bunch of times, but it still complaining about the needed new firmware that I need to install and doesn't let me ducking play the game and it makes me deeply sad... how can I become sexy abs playing BoxVR if I still keep eating Icecream while I am waiting due the problems I am having setting up rift lately 😞  

If you guys have some ideia what is going wrong, I would appreciate your help 🙂 
6 REPLIES 6

fjlmal
Protege
It was supposed to be on "support" but I cannot change it anymore... to late... sorry guys... I've failed you like my rift is failing me those last days 😞 

tchenku
Honored Guest
I was experiencing a firmware update problem today. The headset would disconnect (usb disconnection sound) and wouldn't reboot. Under Device Manager, I saw a "boot rift" under Human Interface Devices that would only pop up when attempting to reboot the headset. On some other thread, someone mentioned updating the driver for "boot rift" using Windows Update. Mine claimed to be up to date, so I did the next best thing: I uninstalled it when it popped up. 

Deleting it and Windows auto-reinstalling it was what finally allowed me to finish my firmware update.

Before that, I'd unplugged/replugged all my stuff multiple times, updated video drivers, repaired my Oculus Home software, powered down PC all night with PSU off.

Good luck!

jshawd40
Honored Guest

Their firmware update bricked my Oculus. Everything worked 100% before the mandatory update. They must have some awesome confidence in their products... Anyway, I've had my Oculus since July 2017 so that puts me 2 months past the warranty period... This was their response to me:

(Oculus Support)

Sep 19, 5:17 PM PDT

Hi Justin,

Thank you for getting back to us with the requested information.

It appears that your Rift is no longer under warranty, but we would like to look into all available options for you.

Please allow us some time to so do. When we have an update, we will let you know.

Regards,
Oculus Support

When they have an update.... they'll let me know. ... yeah, this kinda pisses me off... They rolled out a mandatory firmware patch which in turn bricks my unit... and now there is question as to whether I'm going to even get support or not... I realize that I am probably jumping the gun a tad but still... " When we have an update, we will let you know"... that's kind of lame. Does that mean that I'm just going to have to wait around till they release some fix... or better yet have to pay for this bricked pos? Guess I'll see... I asked for the phone number but I doubt I'll get a response...

cybereality
Grand Champion
We're currently investigating these reports of failed firmware updates. In most cases, you can try the update again and it may work. Downloading the Oculus setup installer again and choosing Repair can also help. If things still are not working, please contact us so we can look into your issue further. Thanks. https://support.oculus.com/
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable
Mine has been broken with the firmware update but thankfully under warranty. Can't believe they roll these updates out that affects headsets like this.

Highspeed1964
Honored Guest

We're currently investigating these reports of failed firmware updates. In most cases, you can try the update again and it may work. Downloading the Oculus setup installer again and choosing Repair can also help. If things still are not working, please contact us so we can look into your issue further. Thanks. https://support.oculus.com/

How does one go about trying the update again?  I see in the "Devices" tab that "Firmware Update Required" but find no way to kick off this update.  I had received a replacement headset due to another unrelated issue and when I plugged it in, I immediately got the firmware update required screen.  I allowed the update to continue and it failed giving me the option to try again.  I tried several times unsuccessfully and gave up.  Now when I start the Oculus software, I get a blue dot beside the "Devices" tab and when I go there, it shows the "Firmware Update Required" message.  When I click on the device, it brings up the status page and shows similar messages about the firmware, the device shows "Connected" but also shows "No HDMI Connection".

I have opened up a support ticket (#603878) and have a few communications with the support team, but it seems they've gone home for the weekend and have heard nothing more since yesterday.  They've had be perform several troubleshooting steps and the last item was to run a diagnostic tools which gathers some logs and puts them into a .zip file which I then attached to the case.

In the meantime, I've been without my Oculus for over two weeks now (I had to send back my Rift due to the first issue and this is a replacement headset) and it seems like it's going to be a while before this is resolved.  Right now I have what appears to be a "bricked" headset due to this firmware update failure.

So if I can try the update again and get this fixed, that would be great, but I do not see any way to initiate the firmware update.