cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenOVR Released - Play Steam VR Games Without SteamVR!!! :Oo

Anonymous
Not applicable
Details here:

https://old.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9i7s16/openovr_released_play_steamvr_games_without/

Haven't tried it myself yet because I'm unable to play Skyrim VR until my leg is fully healed but this is pretty huge if it means that we won't have performance issues playing VR games in our Steam libraries. 😮
24 REPLIES 24

LZoltowski
Champion
Ooooh this could be very interesting, will give it a go later, thanks for posting!
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, I literally just got out of Skyrim VR, but now I have to go back to try it out (I can't resist xD).

PS : I love it when a huge software problem is solved by simply replacing a single file.

EDIT: I quickly tried to launch SkyrimVR, it's great but there is one problem : the colors are wrong. They are too bright and there is a sort of green filter on it. Did it happen to someone else?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yup  someone mentioned it on Reddit too. Hopefully he'll managed to fix it. There'll be all sorts of bugs including crashes to begin with.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
What benefit does this have over using Steam VR?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Better performance because you don't have to run 7 f*cking tasks at the same time.
Faster launching time.
And that's about it ^^.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
How much better performance? did you check out the Fps difference?

CrashFu
Consultant
I've had a couple random apps (forget which ones.. I think some of the Felix & Paul studios stuff?) on Oculus Home that when launched, would try to open Steam VR and then just freeze up..

So maybe this will allow me to actually run those apps now, lol.

Good riddance to SteamVR, either way. 
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Anonymous
Not applicable
@RedRizia: No, as my issue is really deal-breaking I got back to using SteamVR, until the color/brightness problem is solved.

I did measure the launching time though:
- with SteamVR: 10 seconds.
- without it: instant launch.

Digikid1
Consultant
Interesting. Will look into this later on