New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Connect 5 MEGATHREAD Oculus Quest announced! Join the conversation!

LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
edited September 2018 in General

Heya!

Post your predictions, your wants and the OC5 news here!

The Keynote will happen on September 26th where Oculus will demonstrate their latest VR innovations and perhaps a new product.

10am PT
6pm BST

For details on how to watch go here:
https://www.oculus.com/blog/announcing-oc5-livestreaming-in-oculus-venues-plus-the-void-and-ilmxlab-bring-star-wars-secrets-of-the-empire-to-connect/

hype train GIF
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)

Comments

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2018
    Has anyone noticed that the Rift CV1 is gone from the front page but the GO remains?! The Marvel bundle promo that is.

happy jonah hill GIF
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

• RolzRolz Posts: 197
    Art3mis
    Fingers crossed for some good news!! :)
    CPU: i7 7700K @ 5GHz | GPU: Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB| MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus IX Code | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz | HDD: Samsung 960 EVO 500 M.2, Micron 512GB SSD, RAID5 WD RED 1.8TB| PSU: Corsair HX850 | OS: Win 10 x86_64| MONITOR: Oculus Rift CV1 | Audio: Onboard Realtek | Gear: Fanatec CSW v2 | Rim Clubsport BMW GT2, Clubsport Formula | Fanatec Shifter SQ v1.5 | DSD 2015 Pedals | Sim-Lab GT1 | Vision Racer Bucket Seat

• dburnedburne Posts: 3,526 Valuable Player
    I sure hope some good news for us PC-VR fans, but trying to keep from getting them up too much. I just don't think much will be revealed as far as a successor to the Rift CV1 just yet. 
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • RolzRolz Posts: 197
    Art3mis
    if we could get even just a small morsel of something I'd walk away satisfied... too many players entering the market and we've heard crickets from Oculus...
    CPU: i7 7700K @ 5GHz | GPU: Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB| MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus IX Code | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz | HDD: Samsung 960 EVO 500 M.2, Micron 512GB SSD, RAID5 WD RED 1.8TB| PSU: Corsair HX850 | OS: Win 10 x86_64| MONITOR: Oculus Rift CV1 | Audio: Onboard Realtek | Gear: Fanatec CSW v2 | Rim Clubsport BMW GT2, Clubsport Formula | Fanatec Shifter SQ v1.5 | DSD 2015 Pedals | Sim-Lab GT1 | Vision Racer Bucket Seat

• MradrMradr Posts: 3,753 Valuable Player
    Walet ready for prime time:)
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,417 Volunteer Moderator
    Looks like the keynote is 3am thursday aus time. Luckily thursday is my day off. My only plan is a bunch of 1970's anime I promised a friend I'd watch. :)

Has anyone noticed that the Rift CV1 is gone from the front page but the GO remains?! The Marvel bundle promo that is.
    Proof Oculus is abandoning pc vr!!!!!!!

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,978 Valuable Player
    Heya!

Post your predictions, your wants and the OC5 news here!

"You can't handle my wants!"
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,978 Valuable Player

Either a Rift 2 or the Santa Cruz will do me.

Along with a few AAA announcements.

And some breakthrough tech announcements.
  • NeokinNeokin Posts: 94
    Hiro Protagonist
    Prediction/hope: Santa Cruz's official name will be Oculus Cruise.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,753 Valuable Player
    edited September 2018
    I am very excited for SC actually - GO was was good - but SC is what I was hoping to see more when it came to mobile devices. The WHMD we very close - so I am hoping with Oculus support SC will be better and I'll drop down to get a few:)

Still hoping we hear some good news about CV2 as well:)

SC = for my nephews
    CV2 = for their uncle LOL

Rolz said:
    if we could get even just a small morsel of something I'd walk away satisfied... too many players entering the market and we've heard crickets from Oculus...

Same:) But honestly we have seen a phototype so can't say they was silent. I like to hear at least some real details of their plan and not a "wa wa wa that phototype might not come out". I like to know at least a date they are aiming for and or what their true aim for their final build:) Eyetracking being technology wise I hope they show off.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    I'm hoping they want to buy all the early DK1's back and pay 1000 quid each for them. 
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• I've gotta say, 2018 was empty for Oculus on PC. Home 2 evolved a lot but everything is experimental and destroyed performance until the latest update (at least on my side). Hell, they even removed features.
    The Facebook event was cool but they mainly focused on the Go. It was 95% about the Go, and the last 5% about Half Dome and Santa Cruz.

For Connect I expect that the time is not that unbalanced. Take 50% for mobile VR (Go + SC) , 50% for PC hardware and software improvement.
    I would also love it if they introduced new techniques for smoother VR experience, like when they introduced ASW. Now that was something.
    And I would like to hear actual sales figure, even if they are bad!
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • CongratulationsCongratulations Posts: 124
    Art3mis
    SC will be name as Oculus portable.
    more AAA games.
    more tech news.
    and more exicting news for the next 5 years which would be interesting to see! 😃
    thats what I think will happen!
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,316 Valuable Player
    edited September 2018
    I've gotta say, 2018 was empty for Oculus on PC. Home 2 evolved a lot but everything is experimental and destroyed performance until the latest update (at least on my side). 

That's another reason why I'm using the good ol' classic home - it works perfectly, even when forcing super sampling 2.0 I get 90+ fps ;-) And I don't care for bells and whistles (I don't use my VR rig for other things than gaming and VR apps - I have an office PC to handle everything else). 

I've been thinking something similar about the current year (so far), but I think I'm wrong.
    This year we got the most amazing games on the Rift - like Beat Saber, Moss and Windlands 2. Racket: Nx reached v. 1.0 in July, and "In Death" and "Brass Tactics" both arrived in February 2018. One of the favorite Rift games, namely "Kin", arrived in January 2018. 
    Other high ranking games have been Hellblade VR, Pixel Ripped and Catan VR - and apps like Electronauts. 
    Furthermore in early 2018 Doom VFR got patched and is perfectly playable on the Rift - it's one of my favorite VR games ever - and you got FallOut 4 VR perfectly patched to the Rift and you got Skyrim. And we got Gorn :D Personally I think Seeking Dawn is one of the best ever VR games, although it's extremely hardware demanding and unpolished. Especially in Seeking Dawn, entering the cave(s) with the giant alien spider-like creatures/monsters was an amazing experience.

I'm starting to think that 2018 - even though Lone Echo is still king - has been an absolutely awesome year for VR, maybe even the best ever, and there're still 3 months left :-)

My hopes for 2019 would be to continue the trend of publishing awesome VR games - like this year - and to get the CV2. If a new VR headset can't be directly connected to a RTX video card, I don't think such a headset will be of interest to me. New interesting headsets need to run Seeking Dawn or better ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    So dumb question on my part I am sure.
    They show Oculus Connect 5 being able to be viewed streaming live on Facebook and in VR.
    What preparation and what do I need to do in order to watch it streaming live on my Rift?
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    dburne said:
    So dumb question on my part I am sure.
    They show Oculus Connect 5 being able to be viewed streaming live on Facebook and in VR.
    What preparation and what do I need to do in order to watch it streaming live on my Rift?
    The Keynotes will be streamed live in VR on Oculus GO using Venues

https://www.oculus.com/blog/announcing-oc5-livestreaming-in-oculus-venues-plus-the-void-and-ilmxlab-bring-star-wars-secrets-of-the-empire-to-connect/

For those who do not have a GO:
    More Ways to Watch
    We’ll host 2D livestreams of the keynotes and esports events on a number of channels. You can watch the live keynotes on the Oculus Facebook page, while fb.gg/vrleague is your one-stop shop for all things esports. If you own a Rift and are running the Rift Core 2.0 beta, put those embedded Dash panels to good use and invite some friends over to watch our live OC5 coverage in VR with a Group Hang-Out!
    We’ll also share recordings of even more OC5 content including tech talks, panels, and more on our YouTube channel—be sure to subscribe so you don’t miss a beat.

Ok much thanks!!

Don

• nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    RuneSR2 said:
    I've gotta say, 2018 was empty for Oculus on PC. Home 2 evolved a lot but everything is experimental and destroyed performance until the latest update (at least on my side). 

That's another reason why I'm using the good ol' classic home - it works perfectly, even when forcing super sampling 2.0 I get 90+ fps ;-) And I don't care for bells and whistles (I don't use my VR rig for other things than gaming and VR apps - I have an office PC to handle everything else). 

I've been thinking something similar about the current year (so far), but I think I'm wrong.
    This year we got the most amazing games on the Rift - like Beat Saber, Moss and Windlands 2. Racket: Nx reached v. 1.0 in July, and "In Death" and "Brass Tactics" both arrived in February 2018. One of the favorite Rift games, namely "Kin", arrived in January 2018. 
    Other high ranking games have been Hellblade VR, Pixel Ripped and Catan VR - and apps like Electronauts. 
    Furthermore in early 2018 Doom VFR got patched and is perfectly playable on the Rift - it's one of my favorite VR games ever - and you got FallOut 4 VR perfectly patched to the Rift and you got Skyrim. And we got Gorn :D Personally I think Seeking Dawn is one of the best ever VR games, although it's extremely hardware demanding and unpolished. Especially in Seeking Dawn, entering the cave(s) with the giant alien spider-like creatures/monsters was an amazing experience.

I'm starting to think that 2018 - even though Lone Echo is still king - has been an absolutely awesome year for VR, maybe even the best ever, and there're still 3 months left :-)

My hopes for 2019 would be to continue the trend of publishing awesome VR games - like this year - and to get the CV2. If a new VR headset can't be directly connected to a RTX video card, I don't think such a headset will be of interest to me. New interesting headsets need to run Seeking Dawn or better ;)
    its started a little slow but it's been a good second half. 
  • @RuneSR2 : You're right about the games, we did get awesome stuff! And let's not forget the updates for previous apps, like Oculus Medium and Quill. Virtual Desktop also had an interesting update (especially for audio, which is now terrific in that software).
    I was mainly talking about Oculus itself, though ^^. Not the VR apps, but the core functions of the headset. While we kept hearing about new headsets (WMR, Pimax, StarVR One, ...), nothing really moved on Oculus side. That's why they have to hit strong with Oculus Connect.

I have an office PC to handle everything else). 

To be fair, using normal apps on a virtual screen like Oculus Desktop or Virtual Desktop has a ton of advantages (compared to a normal PC build). Personally, I can't watch movies anymore if I don't lie completely down on my bed with a huge cinema screen above my head xD! I also enjoy normal games a lot better on a giant screen (it's more immersive than on a regular screen). And let's not forget the two hand-controlled cursors instead of the single mouse cursor (much faster and more ergonomic).

The only thing VR desktop apps need right now is a proper virtual keyboard. I wish they would take the one from Rec Room, that one is perfect.

Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    All I want is a breakout box for the rift and all sensors that use the vr port on rtx cards
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
    elboffor said:
    All I want is a breakout box for the rift and all sensors that use the vr port on rtx cards
    That would be amazing.

• WildtWildt Posts: 2,264 Valuable Player
    edited September 2018
    blerugh
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    Wildt said:
    blerugh
    That'll be announced day 2 I believe ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Wildt said:
    blerugh
    I found your Ted Talk fascinating ... :smiley:

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,153 Valuable Player
    Any interesting stuff announced yet? Would be fab if there was a post where op updated for those who can't watch? Thanks
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    You get em told big mike!
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,494 Valuable Player
    • Pre-orders for the Santa Cruz being taken tomorrow, release in November.
    • Everyone in the audience will get a free pre-order and Santa Cruz delivered on launch day.
    • Santa Cruz price: $399.
    • Rift CV1 will get a price cut to $299
    • CV2 will be teased again with confirmation of a release next year - 4K displays, eye tracking and dynamic foveated rendering but no varifocal feature.
    • CV2 will continue to use the Constellation tracking system because Inside out tracking isn't good enough for high-end PC VR.
    • Carmack will announce a new updated ASW without the artefacts that the current version has.
    Think that covers everything important  B)
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    I betcha SC will be 599 ;)