cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Connect 5 MEGATHREAD Oculus Quest announced! Join the conversation!

LZoltowski
Champion
0zcqsstix16h.jpg

Heya!

Post your predictions, your wants and the OC5 news here!

The Keynote will happen on September 26th where Oculus will demonstrate their latest VR innovations and perhaps a new product.

10am PT
6pm BST

For details on how to watch go here:
https://www.oculus.com/blog/announcing-oc5-livestreaming-in-oculus-venues-plus-the-void-and-ilmxlab-...

hype train GIF
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
410 REPLIES 410

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am very excited for SC actually - GO was was good - but SC is what I was hoping to see more when it came to mobile devices. The WHMD we very close - so I am hoping with Oculus support SC will be better and I'll drop down to get a few:)

Still hoping we hear some good news about CV2 as well:)

SC = for my nephews
CV2 = for their uncle LOL

Rolz said:

if we could get even just a small morsel of something I'd walk away satisfied... too many players entering the market and we've heard crickets from Oculus...

Same:) But honestly we have seen a phototype so can't say they was silent. I like to hear at least some real details of their plan and not a "wa wa wa that phototype might not come out". I like to know at least a date they are aiming for and or what their true aim for their final build:) Eyetracking being technology wise I hope they show off.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I'm hoping they want to buy all the early DK1's back and pay 1000 quid each for them. 
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've gotta say, 2018 was empty for Oculus on PC. Home 2 evolved a lot but everything is experimental and destroyed performance until the latest update (at least on my side). Hell, they even removed features.
The Facebook event was cool but they mainly focused on the Go. It was 95% about the Go, and the last 5% about Half Dome and Santa Cruz.

For Connect I expect that the time is not that unbalanced. Take 50% for mobile VR (Go + SC) , 50% for PC hardware and software improvement.
I would also love it if they introduced new techniques for smoother VR experience, like when they introduced ASW. Now that was something.
And I would like to hear actual sales figure, even if they are bad!

Congratulations
Adventurer
SC will be name as Oculus portable.
more AAA games.
more tech news.
and more exicting news for the next 5 years which would be interesting to see! ?
thats what I think will happen!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

I've gotta say, 2018 was empty for Oculus on PC. Home 2 evolved a lot but everything is experimental and destroyed performance until the latest update (at least on my side). 

That's another reason why I'm using the good ol' classic home - it works perfectly, even when forcing super sampling 2.0 I get 90+ fps 😉 And I don't care for bells and whistles (I don't use my VR rig for other things than gaming and VR apps - I have an office PC to handle everything else). 

I've been thinking something similar about the current year (so far), but I think I'm wrong.
This year we got the most amazing games on the Rift - like Beat Saber, Moss and Windlands 2. Racket: Nx reached v. 1.0 in July, and "In Death" and "Brass Tactics" both arrived in February 2018. One of the favorite Rift games, namely "Kin", arrived in January 2018. 
Other high ranking games have been Hellblade VR, Pixel Ripped and Catan VR - and apps like Electronauts. 
Furthermore in early 2018 Doom VFR got patched and is perfectly playable on the Rift - it's one of my favorite VR games ever - and you got FallOut 4 VR perfectly patched to the Rift and you got Skyrim. And we got Gorn 😄 Personally I think Seeking Dawn is one of the best ever VR games, although it's extremely hardware demanding and unpolished. Especially in Seeking Dawn, entering the cave(s) with the giant alien spider-like creatures/monsters was an amazing experience.

I'm starting to think that 2018 - even though Lone Echo is still king - has been an absolutely awesome year for VR, maybe even the best ever, and there're still 3 months left 🙂

My hopes for 2019 would be to continue the trend of publishing awesome VR games - like this year - and to get the CV2. If a new VR headset can't be directly connected to a RTX video card, I don't think such a headset will be of interest to me. New interesting headsets need to run Seeking Dawn or better 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable
So dumb question on my part I am sure.
They show Oculus Connect 5 being able to be viewed streaming live on Facebook and in VR.
What preparation and what do I need to do in order to watch it streaming live on my Rift?

LZoltowski
Champion

dburne said:

So dumb question on my part I am sure.
They show Oculus Connect 5 being able to be viewed streaming live on Facebook and in VR.
What preparation and what do I need to do in order to watch it streaming live on my Rift?

The Keynotes will be streamed live in VR on Oculus GO using Venues

https://www.oculus.com/blog/announcing-oc5-livestreaming-in-oculus-venues-plus-the-void-and-ilmxlab-...

For those who do not have a GO:
More Ways to Watch
We’ll host 2D livestreams of the keynotes and esports events on a number of channels. You can watch the live keynotes on the Oculus Facebook page, while fb.gg/vrleague is your one-stop shop for all things esports. If you own a Rift and are running the Rift Core 2.0 beta, put those embedded Dash panels to good use and invite some friends over to watch our live OC5 coverage in VR with a Group Hang-Out!
We’ll also share recordings of even more OC5 content including tech talks, panels, and more on our YouTube channel—be sure to subscribe so you don’t miss a beat.

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok much thanks!!

nrosko
Superstar

RuneSR2 said:

I've gotta say, 2018 was empty for Oculus on PC. Home 2 evolved a lot but everything is experimental and destroyed performance until the latest update (at least on my side). 

That's another reason why I'm using the good ol' classic home - it works perfectly, even when forcing super sampling 2.0 I get 90+ fps 😉 And I don't care for bells and whistles (I don't use my VR rig for other things than gaming and VR apps - I have an office PC to handle everything else). 

I've been thinking something similar about the current year (so far), but I think I'm wrong.
This year we got the most amazing games on the Rift - like Beat Saber, Moss and Windlands 2. Racket: Nx reached v. 1.0 in July, and "In Death" and "Brass Tactics" both arrived in February 2018. One of the favorite Rift games, namely "Kin", arrived in January 2018. 
Other high ranking games have been Hellblade VR, Pixel Ripped and Catan VR - and apps like Electronauts. 
Furthermore in early 2018 Doom VFR got patched and is perfectly playable on the Rift - it's one of my favorite VR games ever - and you got FallOut 4 VR perfectly patched to the Rift and you got Skyrim. And we got Gorn 😄 Personally I think Seeking Dawn is one of the best ever VR games, although it's extremely hardware demanding and unpolished. Especially in Seeking Dawn, entering the cave(s) with the giant alien spider-like creatures/monsters was an amazing experience.

I'm starting to think that 2018 - even though Lone Echo is still king - has been an absolutely awesome year for VR, maybe even the best ever, and there're still 3 months left 🙂

My hopes for 2019 would be to continue the trend of publishing awesome VR games - like this year - and to get the CV2. If a new VR headset can't be directly connected to a RTX video card, I don't think such a headset will be of interest to me. New interesting headsets need to run Seeking Dawn or better 😉

its started a little slow but it's been a good second half. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
@RuneSR2 : You're right about the games, we did get awesome stuff! And let's not forget the updates for previous apps, like Oculus Medium and Quill. Virtual Desktop also had an interesting update (especially for audio, which is now terrific in that software).
I was mainly talking about Oculus itself, though ^^. Not the VR apps, but the core functions of the headset. While we kept hearing about new headsets (WMR, Pimax, StarVR One, ...), nothing really moved on Oculus side. That's why they have to hit strong with Oculus Connect.

I have an office PC to handle everything else). 

To be fair, using normal apps on a virtual screen like Oculus Desktop or Virtual Desktop has a ton of advantages (compared to a normal PC build). Personally, I can't watch movies anymore if I don't lie completely down on my bed with a huge cinema screen above my head xD! I also enjoy normal games a lot better on a giant screen (it's more immersive than on a regular screen). And let's not forget the two hand-controlled cursors instead of the single mouse cursor (much faster and more ergonomic).

The only thing VR desktop apps need right now is a proper virtual keyboard. I wish they would take the one from Rec Room, that one is perfect.