cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Connect 5 MEGATHREAD Oculus Quest announced! Join the conversation!

LZoltowski
Champion
0zcqsstix16h.jpg

Heya!

Post your predictions, your wants and the OC5 news here!

The Keynote will happen on September 26th where Oculus will demonstrate their latest VR innovations and perhaps a new product.

10am PT
6pm BST

For details on how to watch go here:
https://www.oculus.com/blog/announcing-oc5-livestreaming-in-oculus-venues-plus-the-void-and-ilmxlab-...

hype train GIF
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
410 REPLIES 410

bigmike20vt
Visionary

How do i reach for my tablet in Onward with inside-out tracking (it's on my back)?  Grabbing arrows/anything from behind you?  What about tracking other "live" objects?   No, we need to keep external, full room tracking, not just for the big games but for big man-tasks.

IF inside out is used for CV2 I hope it has a few tracking cameras on the back as well . Ideally it needs 8 imo one on each corner of the head set
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mradr :
The other [problem] is cost
What are you talking about? WMR headsets have inside-out tracking and are the cheapest headsets ^^.

They also drift and stop working a lot of the time as well. There has been people reporting that even if the controllers is right in front of their face - that the it stop tracking the controllers when they was fully functional. Also - it was a plan to sell the idea to different partners to keep cost low on the R/D part - Oculus in this case would've had to create it themselves - so I can see it adding cost.

CV2 on the other hand will have already increase cost from the screens/res increase, eye tracking technology, bigger lens, and possible depth of field tracking. At some point you have to stop adding cost xD Plus it will still be new enough right now I wouldn't trust inside out tracking until I knew it works great. WMR kind of left a bad taste in the VR community.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Grabbing stuff in the back is not an issue with those headsets.

Have they fixed sports bar vr yet? SOME games need accurate tracking back and front such as aiming a pool/snooker queue or setting up a serve in a tennis game or maybe (not certain) even tracking a golf swing.

Also how about bow and arrow games? Again just guessing but I would expect tracking behind is needed for detecting exact bow tension
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Mradr:
- Just like there have been plenty of people reporting issues with the Rift tracking. Hell, there are tracking issues topics on the first three pages of this forum!
- Also, just because the current inside-out tracking has this issue doesn't mean that all the inside-out tracking systems will have it. Jeez, do you really think there is no way to rectify technological issues? It's called engineering, buddy. Of course the future inside-out tracking systems will be better than the current one. Did I really need to say it?

Good point for the price cut, though. I still think it wouldn't be that expensive to implement. But hey, let's wait and see!

@bigmike20vt : No idea, I'll let you google it if you wonder 😉 . But again, given that Santa Cruz will have full 360 support, this kind of issue, like those with bow or pool, will (should) not happen with this system. Those problems aren't inherent to inside-out tracking.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mradr:
- Just like there have been plenty of people reporting issues with the Rift tracking. Hell, there are tracking issues topics on the first three pages of this forum!
- Also, just because the current inside-out tracking has this issue doesn't mean that all the inside-out tracking systems will have it. Jeez, do you really think there is no way to rectify technological issues? It's called engineering, buddy. Of course the future inside-out tracking systems will be better than the current one. Did I really need to say it?

Good point for the price cut, though. I still think it wouldn't be that expensive to implement. But hey, let's wait and see!

Most tracking issues now are cause by software or bad camera positioning not usually a fault of the hardware. I mean I still see a report here and there - but most threads are usually talking about having issues with in a game only or questions on what batteries to use for example.

I am not saying they won't have improve it - just until we see it - how much have they improve it over WMR and what limits can we for see with in. Maybe they did make it perfect to the point that no questions down it needs to be in the CV2 no matter how much it cost to add. Today or tomorrow we will find out:)

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
nice imnfo.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Hell, there are tracking issues topics on the first three pages of this forum!

Looks like those 3 threads were created by the same person, some poeple's problems are perhaps 3 times more important. That's not to say it's an isolated issue but probably not too bad.

kojack
MVP
MVP
Fixed position outside in tracking (constellation) and fixed beacon inside out tracking (lighthouse) are superior to pure optical inside out tracking because you have active tracking instead of passive so it's less susceptible to lighting conditions and you have a reliable tracking volume fixed to real world coordinates.
Plus it's much easier to have body tracking with these, imagine trying to do feet tracking from the headset, way too much occlusion.

What we need is to put a more powerful arm chip in the sensors, so they can process the image themselves, then stream the tracking data to the pc wirelessly. Cheap to do, sensors can be placed anywhere (either power adapter based like lighthouse or battery) without a long usb cable, most usb issues gone (only the single headset usb remains) and reduced pc cpu load. You just need to sent position/orientation for each tracked object instead of full frame video, which is easy over a wireless link.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

LZoltowski
Champion
Here is the tracking volume for Santa Cruz

Image result for santa cruz tracking volume
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Digikid1
Consultant

Here is the tracking volume for Santa Cruz

Image result for santa cruz tracking volume

oh look!  It comes with a green airbag to prevent you from hitting ceilings/walls!!!!

😄