cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Connect 5 MEGATHREAD Oculus Quest announced! Join the conversation!

LZoltowski
Champion
0zcqsstix16h.jpg

Heya!

Post your predictions, your wants and the OC5 news here!

The Keynote will happen on September 26th where Oculus will demonstrate their latest VR innovations and perhaps a new product.

10am PT
6pm BST

For details on how to watch go here:
https://www.oculus.com/blog/announcing-oc5-livestreaming-in-oculus-venues-plus-the-void-and-ilmxlab-...

hype train GIF
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
410 REPLIES 410

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well I was expecting another tease of the CV2 at least but we didn't even get that!!! Very disappointed tbh.

Could still be released in 2019 but it'll be H2 instead of H1. If they wait until 2020 then I'll probably get a Pimax 5K+ as long as Pimax don't take the piss regarding the price of the thing.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
It will be interesting to see Robo Recall on Quest. 1600x1440 per eye means the Quest will be pushing 80 % more pixels than the Rift, so I wonder if Quest can do that in 90 fps - or if we're down to 60 fps. I'm guessing that Robo Recall must be scaled down quite a lot for the Quest... Although 64GB is nice, unless Quest games are greatly reduced in size compared to Rift games (Robo Recall is 10GB for the Rift version), Quest won't be able to store many games or apps. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:

Well I was expecting another tease of the CV2 at least but we didn't even get that!!! Very disappointed tbh.

They showed Half-Dome and confirmed multiple times that the Rift will receive future hardware iterations and software. Not sure what you were watching, sir.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
I just bought a 2080ti. Given I DO have a super computer I am not worried about mainstream. I will be sad to leave oculus but if oculus are no longer interested and happy to let other companies supply the gear for the enthusiasts so be it. 
I really liked that half Dome and would pay good money for it. I am not after a hard and fast release date for high end vr but want some crumbs as well as a rough ETA.. ie Q4 CV2 next year level of granuality....

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:
Hate to say it, but could they scrap CV2, if SC does great when it's released next year? Why bother with CV2 if SC does great?

Did you watch and listen? Quest (SC) has limitations due to being untethered to a PC. The Rift is the flagship "gold standard" (their words today) and will be the go-to unit to push VR beyond the limitations of GO and Quest. ffs

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

snowdog said:

They showed Half-Dome and confirmed multiple times that the Rift will receive future hardware iterations and software. Not sure what you were watching, sir.

You know what I meant. I was expecting to see something NEW. A teaser of the CV2 does NOT include the exact same thing they showed at F8 in May.

nrosko
Superstar
The thing i got from the last talk is there is still some finishing to do with some of the tech that will hopefully arrive in CV2. It could take a while b4 its ready for consumer. The deep learning foveated rendering will be awesome but it's just not ready. 

The recorded stream is up btw. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I do get Oculus' perspective on VR (I think) - Oculus isn't making money, but is basically paying for our apps and games. To get 10+ million users and to make VR profitable, Oculus needs to get a lot more customers - and Quest isn't a bad idea in that perspective. 
Still Rift isn't bad or in any way outdated - it'll take at least a 2080 Ti getting Lone Echo to run perfectly in 90 fps (all settings maxed, including resolution), Seeking Dawn is already limited to super sampling at just 1.2 (and 45 fps on my GTX 1080). So the Rift is still so advanced that it can easily require video cards that still don't exist to get 90 fps (even if ss is below 2.0). 
If Oculus released a CV2 today - which is more hardware demanding than the Rift - it would send the wrong signal, namely that VR still is for the truly high-end enthusiasts. With the Quest Oculus is telling the world that great VR is for everyone - and in 12-18 months, we might have much better video cards than today (even including RTX) making it a better time to release CV2 (assuming that hardware demands will be higher for CV2 than for CV1).  

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:
You know what I meant. I was expecting to see something NEW. A teaser of the CV2 does NOT include the exact same thing they showed at F8 in May.

So are you going to buy a Pimax too then after the keynote didn't tell you exactly what you wanted to hear? How about a Vive Pro?
😉

Facebook and Oculus are building a VR Platform for the future, they are not building the Rift, only the Rift, and nothing but the Rift. The keynote had so much valuable information for the Rift, GO, and Quest. They also touched very heavily on the fact that they are building a sustainable business model with these 3 products. A sustainable business model.

That's the type of thing that prevents situations like... when HTC was bought out by Google, or Pimax relied on a Kickstarter for their 2nd Gen VR HMD.

Why would anyone demand a Rift CV2 before solidifying that the very platform it is built upon can sustain itself?

I'm more interesting in knowing that the Rift is still the Gold Standard (which was confirmed) and that Facebook-Oculus have real plans to keep the Oculus Platform a dominant contender in the industry (which they also confirmed).

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

I do get Oculus' perspective on VR (I think) - Oculus isn't making money, but is basically paying for our apps and games. To get 10+ million users and to make VR profitable, Oculus needs to get a lot more customers - and Quest isn't a bad idea in that perspective. 
Still Rift isn't bad or in any way outdated - it'll take at least a 2080 Ti getting Lone Echo to run perfectly in 90 fps (all settings maxed, including resolution), Seeking Dawn is already limited to super sampling at just 1.2. So the Rift is still so advanced that it can easily require video cards that still don't exist to get 90 fps (even if ss is below 2.0). 
If Oculus released a CV2 today - which is more hardware demanding than the Rift - it would send the wrong signal, namely that VR still is for the truly high-end enthusiasts. With the Quest Oculus is telling the world that great VR is for everyone - and in 12-18 months, we might have much better video cards than today (even including RTX) making it a better time to release CV2 (assuming that hardware demands will be higher for CV2 than for CV1).  

Okay thank the Heavens someone gets it. ❤️