cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Connect 5 MEGATHREAD Oculus Quest announced! Join the conversation!

LZoltowski
Champion
0zcqsstix16h.jpg

Heya!

Post your predictions, your wants and the OC5 news here!

The Keynote will happen on September 26th where Oculus will demonstrate their latest VR innovations and perhaps a new product.

10am PT
6pm BST

For details on how to watch go here:
https://www.oculus.com/blog/announcing-oc5-livestreaming-in-oculus-venues-plus-the-void-and-ilmxlab-...

hype train GIF
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
410 REPLIES 410

LZoltowski
Champion
There is another keynote from Carmack tomorrow. I think they will talk about prototypes etc there. He is very unfiltered and unscripted and quite technical.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Zenbane said:

RedRizla said:
Hate to say it, but could they scrap CV2, if SC does great when it's released next year? Why bother with CV2 if SC does great?

Did you watch and listen? Quest (SC) has limitations due to being untethered to a PC. The Rift is the flagship "gold standard" (their words today) and will be the go-to unit to push VR beyond the limitations of GO and Quest. ffs

Well to say CV1 is their flagship it would have been nice to hear more about CV2, which I'm sure will be even greater then their current flagship. Well that's if CV2 is even in development today. I got a few internet interruptions, so was anything else said about CV2 or did I miss it? 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow. Wow. Wow. That was my reaction during the whole stream and even after that.

- Oculus Quest, now officially dated and named. People talk about 1600x1440 res, 64GB, with Touch controllers, and more importantly, only 400$? It's literally the price of a console, to access "real" VR. Guys, this may be it. This may be the mainstream VR headset we've all been waiting for! Now I just need a confirmation that the experience will be smooth (earlier they talked about 60/72 Hz like the Go, but I really hope it is possible to get something smoother).

- Oculus Insight really hyped me as well. I didn't expect Oculus to use that "environment scanning" tech, as it is mainly a AR tech. It seems they nailed it.

- The fact that they demo the Quest on stage (4000 ft2, they said?) means that we'll get quick feedbacks on how well this device works. I can't wait to know more about it!

- Oculus Platform finally getting out of its beta period. About time.

- The combination "foveated rendering + upscaling" is brillant. I always had my doubts about dynamic resolution: if the pixel density is way lesser on the sides than on the looking spot, we would obviously see it, even in peripheral vision. BUT with a quick upscale, the "grid" disappears and the lack of detail suddenly becomes way less obvious. Truly a brillant idea. Simple, but effective.

- Nobody's gonna talk about hybrid apps? Converting f*cking normal apps in VR! I can't wait to see how they pull it off! They'll display 3D elements in the VR environment and 2D elements as 2D panels in the VR environment, that's for sure, they even showed it. But what about the controls? Will we be able to move 3D objects with our hands, like in Medium? Also, many software require keyboards. I really hope they found an ergonomic solution for that. Maybe put a virtual keyboard in the VR environment? That would be effective to use the shortkeys. Oh, damn, I have literally been dreaming about using some apps in VR! Sony Vegas as multiple 2D panels all around me! Matlab and its dozens of windows, displayed all around me!

I'm hyped as f*ck right now! Every year, Oculus shows their skills in engineering and innovating. Sure, we didn't get news about CV2... for now. But hey, this is 1st gen time. No need to get impatient.
Anyway, now the Quest seems to be even better than the Rift. Better screens, better lenses, no tether, no need for a powerful PC, ... All it lacks is the ability to run all the current games (including SteamVR games). If it proves to work with the most popular "big games" of VR, Quest will definitely be the best headset around. Hell, even if it doesn't work with all the games, it will still be best to use it for the more simple games like Rec Room, Dead&Buried, ...

nrosko
Superstar

RuneSR2 said:

I do get Oculus' perspective on VR (I think) - Oculus isn't making money, but is basically paying for our apps and games. To get 10+ million users and to make VR profitable, Oculus needs to get a lot more customers - and Quest isn't a bad idea in that perspective. 
Still Rift isn't bad or in any way outdated - it'll take at least a 2080 Ti getting Lone Echo to run perfectly in 90 fps (all settings maxed, including resolution), Seeking Dawn is already limited to super sampling at just 1.2 (and 45 fps on my GTX 1080). So the Rift is still so advanced that it can easily require video cards that still don't exist to get 90 fps (even if ss is below 2.0). 
If Oculus released a CV2 today - which is more hardware demanding than the Rift - it would send the wrong signal, namely that VR still is for the truly high-end enthusiasts. With the Quest Oculus is telling the world that great VR is for everyone - and in 12-18 months, we might have much better video cards than today (even including RTX) making it a better time to release CV2 (assuming that hardware demands will be higher for CV2 than for CV1).  

Your assuming CV2 is going to be more demanding. I think its not out today simply because it isn't ready. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

Well to say CV1 is their flagship it would have been nice to hear more about CV2, which I'm sure would be even greater then their flagship.

They said that the "Rift" is the Gold Standard. Not the "CV1." The Rift.

CV1, CV2, CV3, etc... those are version numbers. The CV2 would not be "greater than their flagship" lmao, that doesn't even make sense. The Rift will always be their Flagship regardless of the version unless they discontinue the Rift. They confirmed that the Rift is not being discontinued.

LZoltowski
Champion
CV2 won't be ready until there is a perfect storm of tech, if they are going to expand the FOV and not require a monster PC then foveated rendering needs to be NAILED and I am not talking about some tech demo or fringe product here. (or hollow promises) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Techy111
MVP
MVP
@LuluViBritannia far from it, what about all us sim enthusiasts driving enthusiasts. These are what get me excited. There is no way the Quest will run these and imo that's why it won't be better than the rift.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Anyone else loving the "purple" color scheme being associated with the Oculus Quest?

🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Techy111: That's why I said I can't wait to have feedback on how well it works ^^. Let's do it step by step : first, we confirm that the games with simple graphics work (namely: Rec Room, Windlands, ...). Then, we try and see if it works well with more power-hungry games (Lone Echo, RoboRecall, OrbusVR, ...). And then, we'll see if it can run sim games.

That said, the point of a standalone headset is to have freedom of movement. Not sure this is really relevant for sim games ^^'.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Zenbane said:

RedRizla said:

Well to say CV1 is their flagship it would have been nice to hear more about CV2, which I'm sure would be even greater then their flagship.

They said that the "Rift" is the Gold Standard. Not the "CV1." The Rift.

CV1, CV2, CV3, etc... those are version numbers. The CV2 would not be "greater than their flagship" lmao, that doesn't even make sense. The Rift will always be their Flagship regardless of the version unless they discontinue the Rift. They confirmed that the Rift is not being discontinued.

They didn't confirm that they are building another Rift either, so I'll take it the Rift is the flagship that they will continue to support at this point.