cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Connect 5 MEGATHREAD Oculus Quest announced! Join the conversation!

LZoltowski
Champion
0zcqsstix16h.jpg

Heya!

Post your predictions, your wants and the OC5 news here!

The Keynote will happen on September 26th where Oculus will demonstrate their latest VR innovations and perhaps a new product.

10am PT
6pm BST

For details on how to watch go here:
https://www.oculus.com/blog/announcing-oc5-livestreaming-in-oculus-venues-plus-the-void-and-ilmxlab-...

hype train GIF
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
410 REPLIES 410

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

nrosko said:

Your assuming CV2 is going to be more demanding. I think its not out today simply because it isn't ready. 

I'm thinking that Oculus probably could have made a CV2 today which would be much like the Vive Pro, and then the CV2 would be more demanding due to higher display resolution. It will indeed be interesting to see if foveated rendering can make the CV2 less hardware demanding than CV1, but I'm also thinking that with the way our eyes move including microsaccades and more that it won't be easy getting foveated rendering to work perfectly. And if CV2 was expensive and released today it probably wouldn't help Oculus expand their user base much (Vive Pro doesn't seem to sell like hot cakes and is more hardware demanding than the original Vive). I do think Quest is a clever move - even if many of us would love to see an improved version of CV1. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:
They didn't confirm that they are building another Rift either, so I'll take it the Rift is the flagship that they will continue to support at this point.

Yes they did. Even Lucky Palmer confirmed it over a year ago. The keynote specifically said that they will be releasing more hardware and software for all 3 devices: GO, Quest, Rift. They explicitly said that all future hardware releases for all three will be backwards compatible with the software.

I guess someone needs to post the entire keynote transcript at some point, for those of you interested in spreading misinformation.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
@LuluViBritannia of course it's relevant, walking around an aircraft doing a preflight without teleporting, walking around a cabin, walking around a car, moving over to a different seat In the car. Freedom of movement would be relevant in sims just as much as any other game no ? 
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

snowdog said:
You know what I meant. I was expecting to see something NEW. A teaser of the CV2 does NOT include the exact same thing they showed at F8 in May.

So are you going to buy a Pimax too then after the keynote didn't tell you exactly what you wanted to hear? How about a Vive Pro?
😉

Facebook and Oculus are building a VR Platform for the future, they are not building the Rift, only the Rift, and nothing but the Rift. The keynote had so much valuable information for the Rift, GO, and Quest. They also touched very heavily on the fact that they are building a sustainable business model with these 3 products. A sustainable business model.

That's the type of thing that prevents situations like... when HTC was bought out by Google, or Pimax relied on a Kickstarter for their 2nd Gen VR HMD.

Why would anyone demand a Rift CV2 before solidifying that the very platform it is built upon can sustain itself?

I'm more interesting in knowing that the Rift is still the Gold Standard (which was confirmed) and that Facebook-Oculus have real plans to keep the Oculus Platform a dominant contender in the industry (which they also confirmed).

It all depends on F8 now as far as I'm concerned. If they're not releasing a 4K headset at the start of 2020 I'm probably going for a 2.5K headset from Pimax next year some time instead I think.

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Techy111 : I'm not an expert on sim games, but name me 5 VR-compatible sim games that allow you to walk in the vehicle.
I'm not saying it can't be relevant, I'm saying it's not, right now. If you wanted to play Assetto Corsa or Elite:Dangerous, you wouldn't need freedom of movement. VR-compatible sim games are mainly played seated.

Although that would be interesting, indeed ^^.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Techy111 said:

@LuluViBritannia of course it's relevant, walking around an aircraft doing a preflight without teleporting, walking around a cabin, walking around a car, moving over to a different seat In the car. Freedom of movement would be relevant in sims just as much as any other game no ? 

I have to agree that simulating walking, running, and jumping is a real thing!

Techy111
MVP
MVP
And so is flying and driving lol
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm also planning on getting a Yaw VR motion simulator next year some time too so who knows, maybe I'll get the Yaw VR motion simulator and wait for the CV2 next year?

F8 is going to be quite important in my decision making process for next year, as will Pimax's price point for the 5K+ bundle. It would be a shame to lose the Touch controllers but Pimax might even bundle Knuckles controllers with it by then.

I was all set to stay with Oculus but I might end up jumping ship now if we don't hear anything about the CV2 at F8.

This is why I said ages ago that releasing the CV2 in 2020 would be almost as bad a business decision as HTC releasing the Vive Pro this year. People will be tempted to jump ship if they have to wait too long.

Anonymous
Not applicable
@snowdog:

releasing the CV2 in 2020 would be almost as bad a business decision as HTC releasing the Vive Pro this year. 

It's not a bad decision, it's just a decision that doesn't please you (no offense).

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Zenbane said:

RedRizla said:
They didn't confirm that they are building another Rift either, so I'll take it the Rift is the flagship that they will continue to support at this point.

Yes they did. Even Lucky Palmer confirmed it over a year ago. The keynote specifically said that they will be releasing more hardware and software for all 3 devices: GO, Quest, Rift. They explicitly said that all future hardware releases for all three will be backwards compatible with the software.

I guess someone needs to post the entire keynote transcript at some point, for those of you interested in spreading misinformation.

Many people have said things over a year ago that don't always transpire. I didn't hear anything today that tells me Rift, Rift 2, or whatever you want to call it is nailed on. Releasing Hardware/Software doesn't necessary mean a new headset in the works imo. I heard nothing today about building a successor to the current Rift and until I hear something it's all just speculation..