cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest! Coming in Spring, $399

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Just confirmed at OC5, Santa Cruz has the official name of Oculus Quest.

$399 is a great price!
115 REPLIES 115

kojack
MVP
MVP

kojack said:

Apparently Oculus accidentally posted on their blog that the cpu was the snapdragon 835 (same as the Vive Focus), but then quickly edited it out.

If true, that's a shame, since the more powerful 845 is already in phones available now.

Gizmodo have confirmed it with Oculus, the Quest uses a snapdragon 835.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wonder how they're going to have enough left over resources? I thought the GO was already limited and I was sure they jump up to a 845 - but I guess that would've raised the price into that upper 449-499 range aka why they didn't go for it. Yet if they're targeting spring of next year - I wonder if the prices of the 845 would've came down to the point it be worth going that route instead. Isn't the 845 30% more powerful as well?

That or I wonder - maybe they did something custom that is using the 835 cpu and a more powerful gpu instead?

I mean 855 will be out soon as well 😮
https://wccftech.com/snapdragon-855-geekbench-alleged-impressive-single-core/

Granted VR isn't really CPU bound as it is GPU bound in most cases.

kojack
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:

I wonder how they're going to have enough left over resources?
The Lenovo Mirage Solo and Vive Focus both use the 835 as well.
But the Quest has twice as many camera feeds to process, higher resolution to render and two 6dof controllers to track (compared to one 3dof on the Solo and one formerly 3dof but now 6dof on the Focus). I wonder how Oculus are going to deal with that in hardware or software.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

KenSniper
Adventurer
hopefully the oculus quest can stream actual pc vr in as well, like streaming the steamvr using riftcat like how the vive focus will do, that will open it up to more possibilities 

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer
I think Quest will take from the PC market thanks to inside-out tracking.

I want it but I won't pre-order.  I need to try it on first.  I don't use my Rift at all because it doesn't fit me and it's uncomfortable.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I like forward to owning all 3 Products, and watching the Ecosystem unfold.
7969oau1g5b2.jpg

KenSniper
Adventurer
probably the thing im most curious about the Quest is the "PC-like" apps it will support, so far I've heard the usual robo recall, medium quill, etc, and then during Connect 5 on the demo stage it can run SuperHot VR, so that got me wondering, will the the entire Oculus Store will be open to the Quest eventually? So games like Onward will be on and cross playable with Rift users, and then what about games that run the oculus sdk but not on the store

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

KenSniper said:

probably the thing im most curious about the Quest is the "PC-like" apps it will support, so far I've heard the usual robo recall, medium quill, etc, and then during Connect 5 on the demo stage it can run SuperHot VR, so that got me wondering, will the the entire Oculus Store will be open to the Quest eventually? So games like Onward will be on and cross playable with Rift users, and then what about games that run the oculus sdk but not on the store

They also mentioned The Climb. So far I've seen the typical type of experiences that one would expect work on something like Quest. I mean Superhot VR is a game that works on Consoles, so it is not a PC Exclusive. RoboRecall and The Climb are great, but they are certainly not a Lone Echo or From Other Suns.

I can't see Onward itself running on the Android OS that will power Quest, but I can see a similar game being made eventually.

To me it is no different than what we've see with standard gaming all these years. Some console games make their way to PC and visa versa. But that hasn't stopped epic PC games from coming forward - that only run on PC (e.g. Pillars of Eternity).

Dilip
Rising Star

Zenbane said:

Zenbane said:

Their goal is 10 billion Users per Platform.

Impossible. There are loads of countries that cannot order a rift or a quest.   Also there is only about 7.5 billion people on the whole planet. 

lol I think I meant millions. Typing too fast while watching the Livestream.

Release in INDIA at sensible price ( INR 30000 ~ 405)  appoint me for marketing.. it can reach million much faster than any one imagined. 

Dilip
Rising Star
Here is a good comparison of what rivals offer 

https://www.gearbest.com/all-in-one-vr/pp_009854347007.html

$735 for Tumorous large HMD 6DOF, Only 1 controller which is 3DOF, Same optics as old VIVE
Unknown Must have Apps.

Oculus Quest
1) Sleek HMD 
2) Improved GO Optics
3) 6DOF headset with 6DOF controllers
4) All best of RIFT titles porting to Quest
5) Pricing $400

God save HTC Focus ....