cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
34 REPLIES 34

Sterling77
Rising Star
@vrpat Love the Dancer 🙂 really relaxing to look at...
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/52965/sterlings-sketchbook

vrpat
Protege
So far it has been completely impossible to export and upload my Ghost In The Shell model into the artist gallery, because it crashes every time I've tried since it is a very large file and uses a lot of memory. So until I get to optimize it I got you a sneak peak at how it looks inside Medium.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ShAFhQe4d8

Edit:
I had to take a break from VR because of job related issues.
Good news: I got a job.
Bad news: Less time for VR. 😞
But I'm making more time for it going forward. Love seeing all the new stuff here.

MattHickman
Rising Star

vrpat said:

So far it has been completely impossible to export and upload my Ghost In The Shell model into the artist gallery, because it crashes every time I've tried since it is a very large file and uses a lot of memory. So until I get to optimize it I got you a sneak peak at how it looks inside Medium.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ShAFhQe4d8

Edit:
I had to take a break from VR because of job related issues.
Good news: I got a job.
Bad news: Less time for VR. 😞
But I'm making more time for it going forward. Love seeing all the new stuff here.

Welcome back (even if it's going to be less time) now that we support it I'd suggest hitting some of the more uniform geometry sections (like the tank) with the downres button in the layer menu and try uploading again. For the time being we're going to be hitting FB's 400mb upload limit for sculpts and there may be someone on your system not liking that causing the crash. 

vrpat
Protege
I tried staging an action scene that I had circulating in my head of a gun fight between four players in a poker game. It just came to me while listening to a song named "Gun Fight". I was done in mere minutes because I kept everything lowpoly and focused just on just getting the feel of motion with quick strokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-4YeGJSX68

I will continue working on this of course and add more detail.

vrpat
Protege
Maybe I'm just remembering what it was like to experience new things for the first time without a wide set of expectations. Everything we do today is being tailored to us expecting something to do the exact thing it promises. For products we need that is of course the desired outcome.

But not all things are products. Not all nostalgic feelings has to originate from the products, cartoons and advertisements of your upbringing. The reason those might trigger nostalgic feelings probably has more to do with them being repeated hundreds of times during your childhood in order for you to bother your parents into buying you something that would "make you happy".

To me, who didn't have the best toys, nor the ridiculous number of TV channels my friends did, I get nostalgic about things like the warm tarmac on a summer's day with a clear blue sky. The fact that I forgot how trippy just laying down and watching clouds really is. Or the smell of something my mom cooked me when I was younger, which I haven't smelled or tasted in decades.

Why does the rain "ruin" my day now? I forgot how good it feels to have a full head of wet hair without any products in it to make it look exactly right at all times.

What happened to stories they used to tell us? The ones that started playing movies in our heads? And why did I forget all of them? Or just being bored along with all your friends, until you worked your brains until suddenly you all found that one thing, yet slightly dangerous, but totally worth it- thing to do and you rocketed away on new adventures.

All of these things were free and they're the memories and sensations I'll remember the least, but desire to experience again the most.

Now, some people would ask the question: Yes, how do we recreate this sensation and put into a product?

I'm like, no! That's not the point. These moments are valuable to me. They're priceless and timeless. Only certain movie directors gets to play with these feelings, and they're only successful if they respect them. It makes their stories genuine.

When will the creators of stories in VR start playing around with this? Can they even do it?
I would love to try one day.

Those were my thoughts as I made this character. It might be a futuristic looking kid, not like something you would see today. But still, there's something in the air.

Nostalgic Futurism Part 1
zjck3k2dztv1.png
Nostalgic Futurism Part 2
6f28bujlvdf8.png

vrpat
Protege
Here's an attempt at the new beast from Death Stranding's latest teaser.6ovnre91dqec.png
That golden "mask" was harder to sculpt than I initially thought, because I also tried to keep it lowpoly so that I could export and share to my Oculus Home as a guard dog against unwelcome visitors. I might add more detail to this model in the future.

The body is the basic cat pose reference model included in Medium, but I beefed it up a little and added an oil-like surface. The "dreadlocks" were fun to do, because they gave me some freedom, though they do seem to serve a purpose other than looking cool after closer inspection of the teaser trailer released at TGS.

It's been a while and it felt really good to jump back in and complete something, even if it falls in the fan art category. I spend too much time trying to come up with something original which often results in my Rift gathering dust. So my advice is just jump in to anybody having the same problem. Throw in a few reference images of something you think is cool and give it a try. Practice makes perfect.

I'll add some more screens from different angles later. 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
I like the skin texture.  Interesting how much the highlights fade on compression.  The sort of thing that looks cooler the bigger the image is, and usually looks awesome inside the rig

vrpat
Protege

I like the skin texture.  Interesting how much the highlights fade on compression.  The sort of thing that looks cooler the bigger the image is, and usually looks awesome inside the rig

Thanks!
I'm planning on making a higher detailed version from whatever I can find in the trailer, or any future footage of the thing.
The Oculus Home version is dog sized at the moment, so it's kind of adorable right now.

I think I'll actually go for the oily puddle that drains from it with with people(and Hideo) reaching for the mask. Make it a piece and go large.

Here's the video of the beast for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm64efG-YKk

Anonymous
Not applicable
Whoa, that thing is trippy

LZoltowski
Champion
Excellent work and WHOA .. I just recently did a ghost in the shell spider tank scene too!! ... great minds.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/61683/lzoltowski-sketchbook#latest
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂