New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Rift versus Quest

VR-OCALAVR-OCALA Posts: 481
Trinity
In what ways will the Rift still be superior to the Quest?

Comments

• BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 793
    3Jane
    The headset itself isn't. What's better are the games because they can take advantage PC hardware which is 100x faster than a mobile device, if not more.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,629 Valuable Player
    The Software, and possibly the Tracking. Inside-Out Tracking still needs to stand the test of time against both Constellation and Lighthouse.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 482
    Trinity
    I'll follow the previous comments: hardware-wise, the Quest is clearly way better. The concern is software-wise: the Quest will likely not run the current most power-hungry games, and SteamVR games will certainly not be supported (adios Skyrim and Fallout...). But if it does, it will be at minimum settings for sure.

Anyway, we have no choice but wait for some feedback for this. For now they're showing only "simple" games (Superhot, Dead&Buried) but they did announce The Climb and Robo Recall.
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,592 Volunteer Moderator
    It'll be mobile style games I reckon, everything dumbed down to work on the SD835
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• geebee666geebee666 Posts: 224
    Nexus 6
    This link from reddit should tell you all you need to know about performance difference.
    https://puu.sh/BBIBV/d8fad05f4e.png

• VR-OCALAVR-OCALA Posts: 481
    Trinity
    Thanks for the info!
    3Jane
    Yep, that's about what I'd expect. It's VR, but with 1990's PC graphics. Really wish they'd of given us the option to plug it into our PC's as if it were a Rift. I'd probably buy it if they did, but as it stands, I have no use for it.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Yep, that's about what I'd expect. It's VR, but with 1990's PC graphics. Really wish they'd of given us the option to plug it into our PC's as if it were a Rift. I'd probably buy it if they did, but as it stands, I have no use for it.
    Lol 1990, come on its a lot better than that :)

Image result for graphics 1990:

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,629 Valuable Player
    We're going to get a lot of extreme dialogue leading up to Quest's release. Not just here, but on Facebook as well.

On the bright side, there are people at OC5 posting their impressions of Quest from first-hand experience. It is getting nothing but praise in terms of graphics and performance. RoboRecall looks just as good on Quest as it does on the Rift (as one example).
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,592 Volunteer Moderator

Wow is that pcars3?? Awesome ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

3Jane

Was thinking more 1998-'99, e.g. Rainbow Six:

• AQfumesAQfumes Posts: 133
    Art3mis
    Let's just pretend it's still the 90's and we won't be disappointed.  :p
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 482
    Trinity
    VR is power-hungry, so graphics loss is an unnegociable trade off. Although it's much more true for Mobile VR, it was already the case for PC VR, yet we all enjoyed it, didn't we?
    Sure the graphics won't be as good as on the Rift (although it will depend on how well the port is done ; it seems the graphics aren't that bad for the demoed games), but it will be better for everything else (well, probably not for sim games given that visibility is essential in those). Is that a fair trade? Of course we'll all have our own answer to that, but we can't be sure unless we actually try that Quest! Man I wish I was in San José...
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,834 Valuable Player
    Yeah, I remember actual 1990's VR. Let us not forget.

Yes, let us not forget the actual VR first time round - so no one can claim it was super bad or did not work:, or was not real VR:

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Also, people should recognize that mobile graphics have come a long way in recent years (see below).

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,780 Valuable Player
    edited September 2018
    @cybereality - Here's the bit I don't get. If Oculus Quest can produce games like Robo Recall on higher res screens..etc. Then why are the Pc's we have today not good enough for a Rift 2? A Pc is far more powerful then Oculus Quest, so why do we have to wait for foveated rendering before we see Rift 2? Why didn't they just up the Res like they have on the Oculus Quest and OculusGo and give use better optics for a Rift 2? That's all a Rift 2 needs right now or should I say that's all some CV1 owners want right now..
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,278
    Wintermute
    edited September 2018
    RedRizla said:
    Here's the bit I don't get. If Oculus Quest can produce games like Robo Recall on higher res screens..etc. Then why are the Pc's we have today not good enough for a Rift 2? A Pc is far more powerful then Oculus Quest, so why do we have to wait for foveated rendering before we see Rift 2? Why didn't they just up the Res like they have on the Oculus Quest and OculusGo and give use better optics for a Rift 2? That's all a Rift 2 needs right now or should I say that's all CV1 owners want right now..

I agree mate, I don't mind waiting longer for the advanced features to be put in CV3, I would happily buy CV2 today with better optics and resolution but I would also like wider FOV, so those would be my top 3 updated features in CV2.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    edited September 2018
    @SkScotchegg - Well looking at the Oculus Quest specs and the titles they say they are bringing to it. I just think they are capable of a Rift 2 today given a Pc's specs. Save the foveated rendering for a Rift 3 and give CV1 users something to smile about is what I say :)
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,290 Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2018
    @RedRizla, I completely understand some people being against a Rift 1.5 cos they thing that would mean Oculus would be possibly setting back the date for a proper 2nd gen headset. I can't remember but I may have said something along those lines myself!

But I'm with you I think. I'd buy a higher res Rift with Go quality Fresnels right now, even if that was the only difference, would be an easy decision actually.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.535)
    Wintermute
    @RedRizla, I completely understand some people being against a Rift 1.5 cos they thing that would mean Oculus would be possibly setting back the date for a proper 2nd gen headset. I can't remember but I may have said something along those lines myself!

But I'm with you I think. I'd buy a higher res Rift with Go quality Fresnels right now, even if that was the only difference, would be an easy decision actually.

Surely they could increase the FOV as well though now, like give us 160° or 180° surely. The FOV bothers me now, I think I would even choose FOV+Optics over resolution increase as my 1st and 2nd choice but all three would be nice.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,885 Valuable Player
    VR-OCALA said:
    In what ways will the Rift still be superior to the Quest?
    The rift is using the computing power or our AMD or Intel powered PCs and making use of high end desktop GPUs.  Comparitively the Quest is a baby's toy with it's 2 iteration old processor and whatever mobile gpu it's using with it.  I.E.  There's no way in hell Quest will run games like DCS World, it's doubtful it'll even be able to play onward.  The power under the hood isn't comparable.  Quest is cool because it's 6dof and mobile with no need to teather to a computer.  They're different products for different people.

Take your time on that CV2 Oculus, I'm still wowed by my CV1 2 years later.  It'll take me until release to save the money for the new HMD and video card needed to run it anyway.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,290 Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2018
    @SkScotchegg, I'm more a detail guy rather than FOV, I think my point is really about an easy update by what's doable right now. Larger FOV means major optic revisions and redesign in general and is really gettng into proper 2nd gen teratory. And that in turn starts to mean Oculus spending too much time on an incremental improvement rather than proper CV2 and we don't want that 2nd gen headset delayed.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.535)
    edited September 2018
    falken76 said:
    Take your time on that CV2 Oculus, I'm still wowed by my CV1 2 years later.  It'll take me until release to save the money for the new HMD and video card needed to run it anyway.

I get it, you can't afford it yet, so your obviously going to say take your time. Some people who can afford it though would like to see an update to CV1, sooner rather then later. Even if that just meant Rift 1.5, I know I'd buy it. Changing out the screens to make them higher res and putting in the OculusGO optics isn't that difficult for Oculus to do either. 

I don't know how far Rift 2 is away, but given the Oculus Quest is around 8 months away, I can't see Rift 2 arriving anytime soon. Rift 1.5 would be a good update to an already 2 year old headset imo..
    It's not that at all, they said it would be in a life cycle between a cell phone and a console, so it would be aprox 2020 when the next iteration of rift was to come out.  All these other devices are great, but facebook even said that the Rift is the gold standard.  I take that to mean the flagship product.  I don't want them to release a half assed version of what they planned to release in 2020 because a few people can't wait.  I also don't see a problem with them releasing a rift 1.5 with the slight upgrades for those that can't wait the 4 years.  I personally wouldn't buy an HMD that was slightly better in the way the Vive pro is slightly better than the Vive, but you would and maybe a whole lot of other people would too.  If a bunch of people would pay for it and they can justify the cost, why not?  But I want them to take their time on CV2 so when it comes out it blows me away like the CV1 did and still does.  I got a lot of life out of this product, I hope the next one does the same.

edited September 2018
    falken76 said:
    I also don't see a problem with them releasing a rift 1.5 with the slight upgrades for those that can't wait the 4 years.  I personally wouldn't buy an HMD that was slightly better in the way the Vive pro is slightly better than the Vive, but you would and maybe a whole lot of other people would too.  If a bunch of people would pay for it and they can justify the cost, why not?  But I want them to take their time on CV2 so when it comes out it blows me away like the CV1 did and still does.  I got a lot of life out of this product, I hope the next one does the same.

Good to know, but these wouldn't really be slight updates when you consider what they would bring. The lenses on the OculusGO alone are far better then the CV1 lenses, so just a lens change and better resolution screens would make things look so much better while we waited for Rift 2.. 

I bet if they made a batch of Rift 1.5 and didn't go silly with the price like Vive pro, then they would soon sell out..
    Wintermute
    edited September 2018
    I agree, Rift 1.5 sounds like a good idea now, I'd buy it straight away while we wait for Rift CV2.

They called call it Rift Pro or something like they Sony did with the PS4 Pro lol

And yeah hopefully they would release it for £400 and reduce current Rift price to £300.

Surely CV2 will be £500-£600.
    RedRizla said:
    falken76 said:
    I also don't see a problem with them releasing a rift 1.5 with the slight upgrades for those that can't wait the 4 years.  I personally wouldn't buy an HMD that was slightly better in the way the Vive pro is slightly better than the Vive, but you would and maybe a whole lot of other people would too.  If a bunch of people would pay for it and they can justify the cost, why not?  But I want them to take their time on CV2 so when it comes out it blows me away like the CV1 did and still does.  I got a lot of life out of this product, I hope the next one does the same.

Good to know, but these wouldn't really be slight updates when you consider what they would bring. The lenses on the OculusGO alone are far better then the CV1 lenses, so just a lens change and better resolution screens would make things look so much better while we waited for Rift 2.. 

I bet if they made a batch of Rift 1.5 and didn't go silly with the price like Vive pro, then they would soon sell out..
    I think they would too.  It's too bad they didn't have modular design in mind for the lenses so they could sell upgrade kits for CV1, I'd definitely buy an upgrade kit if better lenses were designed and we could just pop out the old ones and put the new ones in.  Maybe the will do that on the CV2  (Crossing fingers)

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,811 Valuable Player
    I wish would plug the Quest into our PCs to get the best of both worlds. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index