New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Medium Suggestions

Comments

• crazlucicrazluci Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Non-uniform Scale needed in all axes.
    This is an I mpressive environment for creation!
  • hughJhughJ Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    I would like a toggle to enable viewing a flat-shaded version of the sculpt (akin to what we see now while using the move tool).  The lack of surface contrast on smoothly curved surfaces makes it hard to distinguish the contours of the sculpt, often requiring manipulating the model and light source as a work-around.

Similarly, I find that the geometric brushes and stamps being represented by transparent solid green/red results in no stereo depth information of the shape, making it feel a bit ambiguous where the brush is relative to the sculpt.  Currently you have to rely on spotting the intersection point, and a lot of trial and error.  Having a wireframe, checkboard texture, flat shading, other surface feature to provide some linear perspective info for our eyes would help a lot here.

I realize these two features would end up making the UI more "busy" and less pretty (a lot more contrasting lines, aliasing, etc), but they would improve the usability a ton.
  • JasonWJasonW Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    Dynamic Layer Resolution

I really appreciate the ability to set the resolution for a layer so I can achieve the detail I need in a sculpt. However, after using the dynamic resolution features found in both Zbrush 2018 and SculptrVR, I really wish for Dynamic Layer Resolution in Medium 3.0. I would rather not have to think about resolution when in the heat of sculpting, it's a very unnatural thing added to what is otherwise a very intuitive experience. I believe this would also save memory since higher resolution is only applied locally to areas that require it instead of increasing the resolution of the entire layer.
    NerveGear
    edited August 2018
    Set Layer Hardness

After using Medium for a little bit and trying to carve into clay with various stamps in the shapes of traditional clay tools, I find it really difficult to carve into a shape because there is no resistance to the strokes that I apply. I end up with deep gashes instead of nice rake patterns I'm trying to achieve for example. If I could set the hardness of a layer to mimic the effects of cold stiff or warm soft clay then carving detail onto a model might work much better. Additionally, if I set the clay tool to add clay rather than remove it, then the pre-existing clay would resist the addition or adhesion of new clay on its surface mimicking real life once again. I can imagine this hardness setting helping the other tools such as the move, inflate or flatten tools in a similar fashion.

I've read suggestions where turning on surface mode can help achieve some type of carving effects, but after trying it, its really hard to get predictable results. For one there is no stoke smoothing, and two there is no easy way to set the carving depth or intensity.... but I do see that it could work nicely with the hardness setting mentioned above.
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,709 Valuable Player
    JasonW said:
    Dynamic Layer Resolution

I really appreciate the ability to set the resolution for a layer so I can achieve the detail I need in a sculpt. However, after using the dynamic resolution features found in both Zbrush 2018 and SculptrVR, I really wish for Dynamic Layer Resolution in Medium 3.0. I would rather not have to think about resolution when in the heat of sculpting, it's a very unnatural thing added to what is otherwise a very intuitive experience. I believe this would also save memory since higher resolution is only applied locally to areas that require it instead of increasing the resolution of the entire layer.
    If z-brush is anything to go by you'll only have to wait 10 years or so till we dynamic tessellation in Medium. I never forgave those swine for shitcanning sculptris!  :/
    NerveGear
    edited August 2018
    P3nT4gR4m
    If z-brush is anything to go by you'll only have to wait 10 years or so till we dynamic tessellation in Medium. I never forgave those swine for shitcanning sculptris!  :/
    SculptrVR is already a VR app that uses dynamic volumetric resolution, so I figure medium could do it too.
  • MrNobodyX3MrNobodyX3 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Can we get some sort of bone system to pose a near finished sculpt?
  • MrNobodyX3MrNobodyX3 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
  • Zero-IntegralZero-Integral Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Really love Medium!  Honestly, the only thing I'd ask for is some better painting tools.. Maybe a modifier for the air brush to get some spatter or irregularity.. Or maybe use stamps as paint brushes to create some neat effects..
  • Sterling77Sterling77 Posts: 507
    Neo
    This would be very cool - some of the team used to work on Spore Creature creator, hopefully this could be the next step. 
  • JPBensonJPBenson Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    My workflow is to import meshes, convert to clay, sculpt them to clean them up in medium, then export and reimport into another program. I beg you to make a feature so that it's easy to export meshes in the same size, orientation, etc.. as they originally were before importing. To date I've spent almost a hundred hours wasted in medium because it's terrible at doing this. This one feature would make medium so much better for me
  • DreamShaperDreamShaper Posts: 728
    3Jane
    Intersection so retains color (currently multiple stage process)
    -- example have a block of color painted on one layer, and a stamp of a figure on another layer, the figure can remain, but take the color information from the color block.   [think this took me seven steps last time I tried to do it, if there's an easier way currently, please let me know

Save stamps both as color and b/w with toggle and color previews (for colorized stamps).  This would probably require a bit more memory, but would be very useful for stamp management.  Toggle would only show stamps in the current mode.  This would work around the issue of creating tonal bases with stamps, as well as make the menus easier to work with.

The ability to change stamp name directly from stamp selection menu.  If you forget to name the layer, you're stuck with a pretty unusable name.  Ability to directly name from the menu would make it easier to identify and organize stamps.

Not sure if this is possible, but some kind of flat stamp that would conform to the surface underneath it, or only translate color information to the intersected area would be awesome.
    3Jane
    Interface concept for advanced features

Advanced features and complexity compete with interface space and can be intimidating for new users.  However, for more skilled users, in a dynamically changing environment, the need for powerful tools is also present.   This is an approach that would potentially allow depth in terms of complexity, while maintaining a basic interface that isn't overwhelming to new users.

To visualize this, replace one of the tools on the palette with a spell book type symbol.  Traditionally spellbooks are organized so that increasingly complex concepts are created in levels.  A user doesn't need to go deeper into the spellbook than they are prepared to go, as it takes time to master such powers.   When the spellbook icon is triggered, a virtual spellbook appears.  Each page represents a tool or group of tools.  The book itself floats freely, the way a menu does.  By pointing at the book and toggling the thumbstick (or buttons), the pages turn/flip, much in the matter of an old jukebox where you can flip through and look at the record covers.  The pages themselves, could be torn out and placed in the workspace, if needed, and possibly tagged for quick access.  The pages themselves might be able to be slid over the tool wheel to create an alternate selection wheel (think of switching cds in and out of an old player).  "Closing the book" causes it to vanish/hide. 

Essentially, the deeper into the spellbook you go, the more powerful/specialized the tools.   For the new user, there's just the tool wheel to deal with, and no need to explore deeper, until ready.   For more advanced  users, more tools are available and added to the book as they are designed.  The interface remains clean, yet the depth can increase as the tools become more sophisticated.
  • ClampinatorClampinator Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    An "Unlit Textures" button in the export panel, so that we get out the exact textures we put in (resolution I assume will still be based on voxel density).

Hell, a "reproject" function that reprojects the imported mesh's textures onto a chosen (or all?) layer(s). That would be amazing.
  • keldor314keldor314 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited September 2018
    I agree that the geometric brushes and stamps are visually hard to read at the moment.  Simply adding lighting and maybe even a bit of texture (presumably using tri-planer mapping) to the transparent red or green ghost shapes would make them far easier to read without greatly changing aesthetics.  Also, it would be nice to drop their opacity a bit.

Anyway, I have some suggestions regarding the move tool.

I use the move tool during common sculpting, where it can be useful to bend and push around bits of geometry as I'm refining a shape.  An annoying thing here is that the size slider has very little granularity for small sizes, since it must also allow for very big sizes when you're moving big pieces of the model around.  Please change the UI size mapping to be closer to geometric (exponential) instead of linear.  This would help with all tools, but the move tool is the most egregious example due to it's huge range.

I'd also greatly appreciate a way to scale geometry.  Right now I can cut a piece out into a new layer, scale it, and merge it back again, but then I have to fix all the seams, and heaven forbid I'm working on something in a cavity or some other area unfriendly to the cut tool!  I'd like a tool that can scale a region bigger or smaller, while blending in with its surroundings.  Algorithmically, this is a very natural extension to the move tool, so this shouldn't be a problem.  The only question is whether it's possible to somehow get it to fit into the move tool itself, or if we run out of controls and have to split it off into a separate tool.

Finally, I want to be able to use stamps with the move tool.  A use case is where I want to adjust a long curve without impacting everything else in the area.  This isn't actually very hard to do algorithmically, or rather, the hard pieces should already be in place.  Since everything is already stored as distance fields, we can use this to calculate the falloff even for complicated shapes.  One tricky wrinkle is that, unlike a sphere, it matters how we work out the shape of the inner and outer isosurfaces.  Would it be best to shrink the base stamp surface to generate the inner isosurface?  Expand it to generate the outer isosurface?  A combination of both?
  • charliemakescartoonscharliemakescartoons Posts: 62
    Hiro Protagonist
    Forgive me if this has already been mentionned but the scaling for the inner/outer radius goes from zero to huge real quick, especially when zooming into a sculpt.

If there was a way to slow that down so we could make more incremental changes for that rather than the huge jump in size just from lightly tapping the thumbstick upwards.

Does that make sense?
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,709 Valuable Player
    Forgive me if this has already been mentionned but the scaling for the inner/outer radius goes from zero to huge real quick, especially when zooming into a sculpt.

If there was a way to slow that down so we could make more incremental changes for that rather than the huge jump in size just from lightly tapping the thumbstick upwards.

Does that make sense?
    You can press down on the thumbstick to get a sizable yellow thing but, yeah, the low end velocity could use a bit of tweakage
  • spiritparticlespiritparticle Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited September 2018
    Hi, Using Medium is amazing. I have some feature requests. The constrain to line and etc I would LOVE to have the option to grip the line and place it in the world instead of trying to line up my hand while also changing the placement of my tool tip. Another feature I would LOVE is the type of tool to create points and connect them to form lines and polygons. This way I can import a 3d scan and retopologize it on another layer at room scale. Its a DREAM at this stage to go into a 3d scan in VR and retopoligize it from scratch. Medium could make this a reality. I am also not sure if this is already implemented. I will check later. I would LOVE if the flatten tool could use different shapes. Like a square or ellipse instead of only a circle.
  • charliemakescartoonscharliemakescartoons Posts: 62
    Hiro Protagonist
    It would be great to have the option of locking the Mirror Plane to the sculpt and also center the Mirror Plane to the center of the sculpt in case of accidental misalignment.
    3Jane
    edited September 2018
    Hi, Using Medium is amazing. I have some feature requests. The constrain to line and etc I would LOVE to have the option to grip the line and place it in the world instead of trying to line up my hand while also changing the placement of my tool tip. Another feature I would LOVE is the type of tool to create points and connect them to form lines and polygons. This way I can import a 3d scan and retopologize it on another layer at room scale. Its a DREAM at this stage to go into a 3d scan in VR and retopoligize it from scratch. Medium could make this a reality. I am also not sure if this is already implemented. I will check later. I would LOVE if the flatten tool could use different shapes. Like a square or ellipse instead of only a circle.

Pretty similar.
    Ability to lock the line/plane steady stroke tool.   So that while it is locked, if you let go of the trigger, the line remains.

For example, a pattern like this could all be done in a controlled line with precise placement of gaps, and ensuring the entire thing remains on the same axis.  Basically, the lock mechanism would keep the line from resetting as soon as you let go of the trigger.  Ideally, this would also leave the guide line lock in place when doing things like re-orienting the stamp, or changing stamps.

It would also be cool if the "plane" and "line" could be set at the same time.   Essentially this would constrain placement to the plane and only allow "vertical" and "horizontal" movements.  With this ability, the pattern drawn vertically could easily be replicated side by side, allowing repetition patterns, in one or both directions.  With locking, it would be even more flexible.

3Jane
    edited September 2018
    It would be great to have the option of locking the Mirror Plane to the sculpt and also center the Mirror Plane to the center of the sculpt in case of accidental misalignment.
    Is it just me, or does the default object center start around knee height?

I'd like to see the initial setup (new sculpt) with the  mirror alighned exactly centered and aligned with the turntable and the orb.  If the initial placement of the orb (object center) is moved before any clay is added, would be nice if the turntable and mirror followed it.   Protections against accidental misalignment would be cool.  

Also cool would be a way to flip/snap the mirror exactly perpendicular to where it's currently at, along the axis guides.  One button press while the mirror is selected, possibly cycling through all three axis would be fantastic.
    3Jane
    Identify selected objects improvement

If a selected object is in a collapsed group, mark the group with an X instead of a checkmark, change text color, or do a similar identifier.   On sculpts with numerous layers and group, an accidentally selected item can be difficult to locate.
    3Jane
    edited September 2018
    Stamp management. 

The re-naming  feature is nice

Before I rediscovered the edit feature (which I entirely how to do until I went and looked it up in the manual, because it was taking around 10 minutes to find a specific custom stamp) had maybe a few custom stamps....

as a result: 

* would be nice if they were sorted in some coherent manner.  I can't figure out what sequence they show up in, appears pretty random.  Sorting by name would be ideal

* Would be nice to have the option to load a stamp from the edit screen.  Much easier to identify what the stamp looks like, particularly colored stamps. 

Would be nice to have multi-select using left trigger to bulk move stamps between folders (same mechanism as bulk import)

*   would be nice to have the last few custom folders show up, rather than retyping every time.  Particularly when moving numerous stamp locations.

Related suggestion:  Labels on the stamp menu (names) display at a higher altitude (closer to the viewer) than the stamp (frequently cannot read the names because it is obscured by the stamp it is labeling.

Also:  Question:  Is it possible to move the stamps directly with folders, or are there location dependencies that are tracked?  If anyone knows the answer, would be good, rather than risk break something, figure I'd ask first.

Second question:  is there a bulk move feature I missed, or is that still not an option?

Neo
    Location is tracked in the docs > medium folder > stamps, I found you have to delete what you need in this folder if your changing stuff - then reimport. There is mass import of stamps now, I put tutorial on Facebook about it and it's on the forum in my tips thread. mass move I'm not sure you can as the Docs folder tracks the import. 

Names under the stamps would be great or a name pop up on hover. 
    3Jane
    I found you have to delete what you need in this folder if your changing stuff - then reimport.

Cool, good info, and thanks for making the tutorial, will check it out.

The quoted line above is a bit confusing. And possibly more so, because of my setup.   (I plan on importing my old folders from a backup -- running a dual boot system, and the old stuff is all on the win 7 setup). 

Upshot is I have the old folders, from before 2.0, but they aren't in my current install.   Everything outside of three or four stamps I individually imported, were all made using 2.0, including a few folders I made tonight to start in on organizing my stamps.

If I'm understanding this correctly, I would just have to bulk import, as the previous folders and stamps don't exist in the new setup?
    Neo
    I have an SSD setup and main installs on a larger SATA. So mediums utilities etc sit on the SSD and files and scenes sit on the SATA, when I add stamps I add them from a medium dir on the SATA and if I need to remove them I have to delete the tracking data on the Docs / medium location. You can just add your old folders as a stared location in medium and hold left trigger to select multiple stamps and then import. I think it's really best to keep on the house cleaning of the stamps and locations. Hope that helps 
    3Jane
    @Sterling77 , thanks.  Will give that a shot.  Two posts of yours, this week, that have been clipped as images and added to my techniques folder for viewing inside medium
  • bobduffy5bobduffy5 Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    Paint with image stamp.
    The painting tool is great, but so often I need the ability to texture color with an image. I see this similar to stamps on the Clay tool, but stamps in the paint tool using an image (JPGs or PNGs).   The paint stamp would not be continuous but a single stamp with two options on how to apply the color stamp; decal vs projection  
    3Jane
    bobduffy5 said:
    Paint with image stamp.
    The painting tool is great, but so often I need the ability to texture color with an image. I see this similar to stamps on the Clay tool, but stamps in the paint tool using an image (JPGs or PNGs).   The paint stamp would not be continuous but a single stamp with two options on how to apply the color stamp; decal vs projection  
    Ya, I suspect continuous projection through each ray line on the paint nozzle tip would be pretty computationally expensive?  Would be amazing to simply paint on a color texture pattern, for instance.