cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Connect 5 MEGATHREAD Oculus Quest announced! Join the conversation!

LZoltowski
Champion
0zcqsstix16h.jpg

Heya!

Post your predictions, your wants and the OC5 news here!

The Keynote will happen on September 26th where Oculus will demonstrate their latest VR innovations and perhaps a new product.

10am PT
6pm BST

For details on how to watch go here:
https://www.oculus.com/blog/announcing-oc5-livestreaming-in-oculus-venues-plus-the-void-and-ilmxlab-...

hype train GIF
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
410 REPLIES 410

Anonymous
Not applicable

nalex66 said:

Mradr said:

Price is relative - You are also getting slightly better hardware, 6dof, trackable controllers, and hella lot more fun. All in all - it's price scale to the same price point. If price is all that matters - then why then even bother for a CV2:)? Why even bother for "gaming gear" - why even bother for "high end headsets". The value of what you are getting is different per person.

That was exactly my point. You were arguing that nobody would buy a Go with the Quest available. I'm saying that for the guy who wants a media consumption device, the Go is a better choice (since most video content doesn't take advantage of 6dof or multiple tracked controllers). Oculus is offering three tiers of product to cover three different demographics, and all three offer value for what they are and whom they target.

Alright:) It just seems to me, media only, even though half the cost, just doesn't seem like a good value. Even for those that want media only, even at double the cost, there is more value to be held out of OQ. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Mradr said:
Price is relative - You are also getting slightly better hardware, 6dof, trackable controllers, and hella lot more fun. All in all - it's price scale to the same price point.

First, how do you know that it is a "hella lot more fun" ?? Have you tried Quest? Fun is relative, not Price lol

$200 and $400 are not the same price point at all.

True:) I mean Price is relative compare to Value (such as getting controllers, better hardware, moreover all options out of the device, etc) while still having the main focus of what GO can do -media and small games-.

I go as far to say these are the same arguments that PC and Console gamers have between each other on a daily thing. "Computers offer more than consoles", "Consoles are cheaper to have", "But I can do more on a computer than a console", "Mine is more scale to gaming", etc etc. Is it not neat we're to that point now:)?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

@Zenbane: I did stay on topic, but as usual you keep reading only half the comment so as usual, you miss the point.
Everything is relative, so a 200$ difference may not be that big for everyone, period.

Nope. If someone decides that $200 and $400 isn't that different "to them" that still has nothing to do with how those numbers exist on their own. I'm not missing your point at all; as usual you are simply warping the issue in order to prove an irrelevant point. There is literally an infinite number between "1" and "2."

If you try to count every possible number between 1.0~ and 2.0~ then you could never reach 2.0 in your lifetime.

Furthermore, we are talking about something specific: the consumer market. You are abandoning that entirely. In the consumer market, $200 and $400 are not "around the same pricepoint." You aren't even addressing that topic anymore though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mradr said:

snowdog said:
That would be fine if you're releasing your game on Steam but if you're submitting the game to the Oculus Store then you need to put the work in lol

And rather than new content you're better off upping the eye candy quality because pretty games tend to sell better. Always have done and always will do.

That's what I mean though. In terms of time - it's better to spend the time on doing something else like content - you are better off making it looks better than trying to spend time on trying to get 5 more fps just because a loop is slow or a mirror effect isn't as fast as some other of doing it. Hardware get faster and cheaper to make up for the time programmers have to spend on micro - optimising code. I'm not saying there are not some lazy programmers out there - but to call a programmer lazy (including yourself) I feel isn't JUST to how much work someone has to put into software (including yourself).

Sorry - I always hate when people call programmers lazy - it feels like there just isn't any credit going to all their hard work when people do. The whole world is ran of software. Goes to show how important programmers are:)

There are two types of programmers. One does as little work as possible, finishes work at 5 or 6 and then goes straight to the pub all night and the other works like a man possessed, finishes work at 5 or 6 then goes home to work on their own projects at home like Revive or OpenOVR lol

I'm in the first category and the same can be said of the vast majority of programmers I've known in my life B)

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Yep, I am far from a lazy programmer but I sure as heck know a lot of them!

Wildt
Consultant
There's something worse than a lazy programmer...  one without skills!
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Wildt said:

Yes! Some of the lazy programmers are actually skill-less programmers using "laziness" as a mask!

sford52
Heroic Explorer

Wildt said:

Or without imagination. Every problem is a puzzle to be solved, either with elegance or with brute force.

ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop.  I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, Oculus rift, Windows 10 home

Here is the Hands On from Tested
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAngb0wRZJM

He got very shifty when they mentioned the 2 headphone jacks.  I think i know the secret - they have found a way to connect it to a PC via a headphone jack - CV2 for £399!

I love you Oculus!

Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

LZoltowski
Champion

Here is the Hands On from Tested
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAngb0wRZJM

He got very shifty when they mentioned the 2 headphone jacks.  I think i know the secret - they have found a way to connect it to a PC via a headphone jack - CV2 for £399!

I love you Oculus!

LOL

The thing is that the thing has USB-C, which is way enough bandwidth to carry positional data to the pc and video to the headset from the pc, I am sure some enterprising hacker/programmer will make it work with PC games  
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂