cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASW 2.0

nrosko
Superstar
So i was a little disappointed that Oculus didn't announce anything regarding software enhancements to improve performance (other than foveated rendering thats some time away). 
But here is some really exciting news about ASW. 
https://old.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9jptp1/asynchronous_spacewarp_20_coming_soon_via_rift/

This could be really huge for those of us playing the likes of Elite DCS or those that push the PD really high. 
36 REPLIES 36

LZoltowski
Champion
Wow, that is amazing news, they are now using the depth buffer to help with estimation, that is really good news. I wonder when we get to play with it.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

nrosko
Superstar
Hopefully soon. Actually i was wrong about it not being announced at connect. It was hidden in one of the keynotes. I guess i'm just surprised that more of a bigger deal isn't being made. 

LZoltowski
Champion

nrosko said:

Hopefully soon. Actually i was wrong about it not being announced at connect. It was hidden in one of the keynotes. I guess i'm just surprised that more of a bigger deal isn't being made. 

The main Keynote was more consumer-focused, I think it would have gone over everyone's head.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was expecting Carmack to mention it during his appearance tbh. Means I can up the ante in Elite Dangerous soonish!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you so much, I missed this announcement and was like "why the hell didn't we hear about ASW, did they give up on it?". Nice to see the artifacts will be immensely reduced! Now I just wish it could be implemented in the Rift itself, not in the apps, because it's a hurdle to know what game uses it and what does not... Hopefully the Rift software can have it implemented natively, like a "global setting" of some sort.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I thought ASW was for the Rift and not in the software people make for it? I thought you could use ASW on any game, but I'll have to test it now.

LZoltowski
Champion
Yeah ASW is part of the core Rift software, it works on everything .. as far as I know.

Be kind to one another 🙂

YoLolo69
Trustee
Mmm, this ASW 2.0 can possibly resolve the visual problem with propellers in IL-2. Tons of persons (including me) disable ASW due to this. As alternative some use a mod to remove the propellers, but I can't live without it to keep  immersion. If it's resolved with ASW 2.0, then YEEPPEE! 😉

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@YoLolo69 - How does the plane fly if you remove the propellers?