Oculus Rift vs HTC Vive + Pimax + StarVR

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Here are the headsets that the Oculus Rift is NOT competing with:
  • Oculus Quest
  • Oculus GO
  • GearVR
I've seen the question posed (repeatedly) on multiple sites that the potential success of Oculus Quest will somehow harm the Oculus Rift. The Rift is in a PC market, Quest is in a Mobile-Console Market (it has a Snapdragon processor with an Android OS). The advances that GO and Quest can make to visual immersion are limited (e.g. correcting Chromatic Abberation) due to the lack of powerful processors combined with a dedicated GPU.
If Oculus Quest and Oculus GO managed to sell 1-billion units each while the Rift remains less than 10-million... this is NOT bad for the Rift. Because the Rift is competing with other PC-based VR units that are trying to become leaders in PC-based Virtual Reality, not Mobile- or Console-based VR.

HTC Vive
They are still fresh in to launching their updated VivePort platform and the Vive Pro is technically better than the Rift. HTC has spent this year giving lectures about their future in VR which includes being able to read "brain waves."
http://www.alphr.com/virtual-reality/1006556/this-htc-vive-prototype-lets-you-play-vr-games-using-br...

Pimax
For those who have been following along Pimax's success... they are on the verge of releasing the 5K-Plus with plans for the 8K-X (native 4K resolution) with an increased FOV that is superior to the Rift. And by piggy-backing off of the Vive's successful Tracking setup, we have a Kickstarter that could "potentially" outshine the Rift in a few short months.
https://www.roadtovr.com/pimax-8k-to-being-shipping-by-months-end-pimax-5k-plus-announced/

StarVR
This headset is marketed towards "visionaries" and totes itself as being "dedicated to the innovation of professional virtual reality solutions, with a focus on high-end enterprise applications and location-based entertainment." StarVR has competitive technology today such as increased FoV and eye-tracking. This is probably the Rift's biggest competitor today.
https://www.starvr.com/products/

Talks of a Gen 2 Rift should entail the potential features that it "needs" to have in order to compete with the Vive, Pimax, and StarVR, and to some extend... Windows Mixed Reality. As well as any other contenders for PC-based VR. Let's say for a moment that the success of GO and Quest does somehow negatively impact the Rift (because Facebook and Oculus suddenly forget who their real competition is in this hypothetical), then organization's like HTC, Pimax, and StarVR will simply take center stage as PCVR leaders.

The real question we need to ask ourselves is this: Will Oculus Quest and Oculus GO have a meaningful impact on PCVR competitors like HTC, Pimax, StarVR?

I don't have an answer to that myself. However, I do know that GO and Quest would do more harm to Facebook-Oculus competitors before it would harm the Rift.
45 REPLIES 45

I don't want to struggle with question of whether the Rift is in competition with the Quest or with any PC VR headsets because I just tried running through all the arguments in my head and didn't get an absolute answer.

I will say that the advent of Quest has 100% changed my plans to have a second PC for my living room to enjoy VR there. I'll get a Quest instead. Rift will stay in my study where I have to have a PC.

Only then will I make any predictions on whether Quest competes with PC VR, based on which one I gravitate towards using most often.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Great point DnD. And based on your feedback, it would seem that Quest is also pulling you away from considering any other non-Oculus PCVR products. Is that a fair statement?

So if you get a Quest then you are likely not interested in the PCVR advancements offered by StarVR, etc.

And I think that's the bigger point I'm trying to make. If Quest is successful "against PCVR" as a whole then this will impact Facebook-Oculus competitors before it impacts the Rift.
🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wouldn't include the StarVR headset as competition for ANY headset in the home consumer space. We don't know exactly how expensive it's going to be but it wouldn't surprise me if it's over 3 grand to buy. They'll probably sell 4 or 5 of the things to the great unwashed like us lol 😮 😄 😄 😄

The Pimax is certainly a contender, I'm going to buy one if we have to wait until 2022 for the CV2.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I just saw in the Piemax thread that it struggles with a Geforce 2080, so it's not a contender for me right now. Even though it would only be a stop gap to Oculus Rift 2..

I will be getting an Oculus Quest for my living room though. My Rift is in my computer room so it will be good to use Oculus Quest anywhere..

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:

I wouldn't include the StarVR headset as competition for ANY headset in the home consumer space. We don't know exactly how expensive it's going to be but it wouldn't surprise me if it's over 3 grand to buy. They'll probably sell 4 or 5 of the things to the great unwashed like us lol

The Pimax is certainly a contender, I'm going to buy one if we have to wait until 2022 for the CV2.

I sense a slight bias. You are considering Pimax a contender because you are planning on buying one. However, I could make an argument that they are not a contender because they have no track record of success: their Gen 1 was a failure and their Gen 2 is a Kickstarter project that didn't achieve its promised goals. Arguments can be made both ways, but on paper StarVR is most certainly the stronger product. I don't consider price relevant in this discussion. Just because something is expensive doesn't mean it isn't good. Check out Lamborghini's as a prime example.

LZoltowski
Champion
Well, I have a small prediction, majority of people who say "no CV2!, burn it all down, I'm not interested in Quest!!" will see how much fun everyone else is having, that it turns out games and experiences look great and will buy Quest anyway to satiate their "new toy" cravings for a while longer, while Oculus works on true high-end gen2 rift. Which they will also buy when it's ready .. hehe

I myself don't see Pimax or Star VR being the competition here at the moment and Vive Pro still requires a hefty investment into a new platform and ecosystem. For the small percentage of people that do switch, the number of new people from Quest sales won't really matter to Oculus/FB

Pimax has proven the ages-old rule in hardware design, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Aren't all VR headsets contenders, the more out there the merrier imo. I won't say too much more as I don't have the "techy" savvy to be able to comment 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

LZoltowski
Champion
From Tomshardware:

However, the width of your view into the virtual world is not the be-all, end-all factor when considering a VR headset. You must consider the entire package, not just the fancy features. It doesn’t matter how spectacular one aspect of a VR headset is if the rest of it doesn’t live up to expectations.

If you go for the Pimax now, ok you get your FOV and Res but you sacrifice, touch controls (knuckles is still in dev kit rounds), ergonomics, headphones, game exclusives (ok you can use 3rd party software to get them, but again, no touch), customer support for when things break, a stable company that wont fold in a year as backers turn on it, you will also need a £1200 GPU on top of it to play games without having reprojection ruin your experience.

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Techy111 said:

Aren't all VR headsets contenders, the more out there the merrier imo. I won't say too much more as I don't have the "techy" savvy to be able to comment 😉

Problem with having to many out there is that people can get the wrong impression about VR, if the one they pick up is crap.