cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASW 2.0

nrosko
Superstar
So i was a little disappointed that Oculus didn't announce anything regarding software enhancements to improve performance (other than foveated rendering thats some time away). 
But here is some really exciting news about ASW. 
https://old.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9jptp1/asynchronous_spacewarp_20_coming_soon_via_rift/

This could be really huge for those of us playing the likes of Elite DCS or those that push the PD really high. 
36 REPLIES 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well like most I know of that currently Disable ASW to stop judder, I do hope this can be of use.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah ASW is part of the core Rift software, it works on everything .. as far as I know.

If the engine that the game uses passes a depth buffer to the Rift then it will work automatically. I think it's a checkbox that you enable in the Unreal and Unity engines that isn't on by default so a developer would simply need to check that box and recompile.

Should be easy enough for developers using their own in-house engines to do the same I would have thought.

LZoltowski
Champion

snowdog said:

Yeah ASW is part of the core Rift software, it works on everything .. as far as I know.

If the engine that the game uses passes a depth buffer to the Rift then it will work automatically. I think it's a checkbox that you enable in the Unreal and Unity engines that isn't on by default so a developer would simply need to check that box and recompile.

Should be easy enough for developers using their own in-house engines to do the same I would have thought.

Ah true that, I assumed they all do anyway already. 
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

kojack
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:

Somewhere between native sdk 1.19 and 1.25 (I've got 30 oculus sdks installed, right back to 0.2.5, but I don't have 1.20 to 1.24) Oculus added ovrLayerEyeFovDepth layers which accept depth buffers. But they are optional. Any game made before 1.19 can't send depth data. Games made after after that may or may not, depends on the developer.

Most games don't update just to match the latest sdk or runtime, a lot are still pre-1.17 (my oculus injector program can mostly tell, it needs to know which functions to hijack). 1.17 is the version that made a major change to how the sdk deals with eyes, it changed from positions to poses. This meant it could support Pimax style screens that aren't co-planar (before SteamVR supported it).

Interestingly enough, ovrLayerEyeFovDepth was added back in 0.7. But it was removed when the 1.x series came out, until some time after 1.19.

I'm almost curious enough to get my Oculus Injector program to check every game/app in my oculus library to see which ones are passing depth info already. But not quite curious enough. 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
I thought ASW was for the Rift and not in the software people make for it? 
The game engine has to implement it. Unity and UE games will have it for sure, there's no doubt. But the games built on other engines may not have it. I'm pretty sure I don't have ASW in Skyrim VR. After dozens of hours, I never noticed the infamous artifacts. That said I may be wrong (hopefully I'm wrong 😄 ).

LZoltowski
Champion

The game engine has to implement it. Unity and UE games will have it for sure, there's no doubt. But the games built on other engines may not have it. I'm pretty sure I don't have ASW in Skyrim VR. After dozens of hours, I never noticed the infamous artifacts. That said I may be wrong (hopefully I'm wrong 😄 ).

Yeah, Skyrim has ASW, it kicked in when I added a mod that made my GPU scream out in mercy, if I moved my hand fairly fast you could see the distortions galore.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

All games will automatically have ASW 1.0. It's 2.0 that needs the depth buffer info passed by the engine. I had to turn off ASW for Skyrim VR because it made my grass mod appear like the grass was underwater lol 😮 😄 😄 😄

GeekyGami
Adventurer
Wait, is ASW 2.0 available to use already?

Anonymous
Not applicable

GeekyGami said:

Wait, is ASW 2.0 available to use already?

Nope, not yet. Will probably come with the 1.31 or 1.32 update I reckon.

Thmoas
Rising Star
In Elite when I crank up the graphics it looks pretty and I don't have stutters or any obivous artifacting when looking out the window. However, the GUI elements inside the ship (sliders, buttons, text etc...) they get very obvious artifacting. Like they have a blobby trail ... it's hard to describe but very annoying.

I saw an example screenshot o ASW2.0 and it looks like this new version might address that. That would be really really cool as I put of playing Elite because I can't get the graphics high enough to my taste and a game like this I want to play it in (almost) all its glory.