cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you use ASW?

oldgamergazza
Expert Protege
I have been playing several racing sims, my gtx1070, allthough I think it was a decent graphics card, used to struggle from time to time with a couple of the sims, I enabled and set ASW to auto, I could not tell when it kicked in, I could not tell the difference, it looked smooth to me, it’s got me asking myself if 90fps is needed?
22 REPLIES 22

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Exactly - often you won't notice that ASW is on, soon an update to ASW may make it even more perfect - thus 45 could be the new 90 😉

https://www.vrfocus.com/2018/09/oculus-announce-asynchronous-spacewarp-version-2-0/

gew5gnqlc8e2.png

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

I have been playing several racing sims, my gtx1070, allthough I think it was a decent graphics card, used to struggle from time to time with a couple of the sims, I enabled and set ASW to auto, I could not tell when it kicked in, I could not tell the difference, it looked smooth to me, it’s got me asking myself if 90fps is needed?

Interesting, I usually notice a significant improvement in smoothness when I turn it off.

Anonymous
Not applicable
No I don't use ASW but Elite is the only one I notice I must Disable it.

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
It depends on the game. ASW is great for the occasional hickup with an otherwise 90 fps but for games that struggle to ever reach 90 fps, ASW is cancer due to all the distortions. A prime example is DCS. I'd rather play at 45-80 fps with constant bouncing than to have ASW on. Reason: I can aim and fly with it off, janky as it may be. With ASW on, cockpit instruments and gunsights are completely unusable. Everything jitters around as ASW tries in vain to figure out what to do with fast moving objects against a slower moving background.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I game mostly in combat flight sims, and for those I turn ASW off with the Oculus Tray Tool. I just get a better experience with it off.

Anonymous
Not applicable
when I run more apps to configure car setup in Assetto Corsa I see it kick in... then when I race I remove certain apps an my FPS goes back up to ~90...

GeekyGami
Adventurer
I do not like ASW 1.0.

I would rather play a VR game at 30 FPS without it on than a game at 50 FPS with it on

The artifacts are incredibly bothersome

I am hyped for ASW 2.0's fix for those

MPires
Heroic Explorer
I always have ASW enabled. In practice I only use Rift with iRacing and only in some situations the ASW has to work and usually does it in a competent way. If the intervention of the ASW is more time consuming I notice some entrainment in the image but I do not see any reason to turn it off.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I use it in some games and and can't wait for ASW 2.0 to drop..