I feel like I'm in VR when I'm not... - Page 2 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

I feel like I'm in VR when I'm not...

2»

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,576 Valuable Player
    Digikid1 said:
    When I first played Superhot VR on the rift I played for HOURS. It was my first VR game. I remember waiting to cross the street to grab a sub and caught myself thinking that the cars will only move if I moved.  

LOL

https://youtu.be/SOToC41dplY

Best. Video. Ever. lol :D :D :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,175
    Wintermute
    Digikid1 said:
    When I first played Superhot VR on the rift I played for HOURS. It was my first VR game. I remember waiting to cross the street to grab a sub and caught myself thinking that the cars will only move if I moved. 
    omg ... lol ... That´s a dangerous scenario.

Some 14 days ago I had a few days dreaming of a vr game that doesn´t even exist. And I used dash in my dreams to browse for solutions to beat the game I dreamt about.
     Wish I had wrote it down. But it was something about carrying a teddybear with your touch finger beam through all sorts of obstacles, and petting it when it got scared and sad ..
     Freaking fucked up but awesome !
    Be good, die great !
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Wow! How have I not seen that before?
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,862 Valuable Player
    I can't believe I missed this truly epic video

Nice find, @Digikid1 !!

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • ElusiveMarlinElusiveMarlin Posts: 202
    Nexus 6
    Brilliant!!
    Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |
    240GB SATA III SSD | 3TB HDD | 867Mbps Built-in Wi-Fi

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."
  • KillCardKillCard Posts: 1,078
    Wintermute
    KillCard said:
    For me not much happened at first but after a while I started noticing Judder in real life, lol.
    I have this same "feeling/experiance"  I keep getting visual "slip" like when the headset looses tracking for a moment.  I even "see" it in bed with my eyes closed!!

Very odd, but also entertaining lol

I never had it prior to getting my Rift.
    Right? .. yea it used to happen especially whenever something moved past me .. like standing on the sidewalk and a car flew by .. something about the detection of "sudden movement" triggered a visual response similar to the judder/skip you experience in VR sometimes.

Havent seen it in a year though ... was definitely a trip.
  • Sirental21Sirental21 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I'm not sure I'm writing this in the correct spot. But does anyone else wake up and things look like it's in VR? I can't explain it well. But it's like when looking at everything for a minute or so after waking up and it looks like I have my headset on.
  • Duncan_DisorderlyDuncan_Disorderly Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    For six years I played WoW, with a tight knit group of friends from around the globe. Don't know about you, but I think it's awesome to be amongst the first humans capable of banding together, albeit vicariously and play a fantasy game. My group used to raid two nights a week and we got to see the parts of the game very few get the opportunity to see. Our group got along brilliantly and I looked forward to my nights raiding, mostly due to our banter. Some nights I'd find myself literally crying with laughter. Great times.

One night, I had a dream and to my surprise when I recalled it, I remembered it was in WoW format! The next time I was raiding, I mentioned it and we had a good laugh about it. At the time, no one else had a bizarre dream like I had. However, over time, the rest of them did dream in WoW format. Naturally, they thought of me when they recalled it. We could never decide if they had the dream because of the game, or through my experience planting the suggestion. Either way, I was thankful I wasn't alone. 
  • Wildlink123Wildlink123 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I might have a late reply, but I think I've figured out what causes the brain to somewhat get confused after being a new VR dweller. The average person, especially when new, can only really play for about 20-30 minutes in VR comfortably. It's when a newbie goes and pushes their boundaries a bit, by say having a 1 hour or more session, they'll either get motion sickness or a fatigued feeling. I say this from experience and watching people play for the first time, many times. I never really felt sick, so in the beginning I tended to try to play for 2 hour sessions, with about a 30 minute break in between. I would feel literally drained by the 2nd session, and rarely did I ever try a 3rd. Went to sleep, woke up, and my vision was VERY different. Texting felt like all the keys were 3D and popping off the screen. My hands were almost indescribably odd feeling, feeling almost further away yet closer. I believe my depth perception had been temporarily altered from such long use, and the extreme immersion you get when playing for so long and not noticing. The same happened to the others who I had try my VR, they played too long and had side affects different from just motion sickness. Though 2 of my friends got nauenaus, and one puked after just 20 mins of gorn lol.  A long winded explanation, but I hope my 2 cents help clear up why this kinda thing happens when getting used to VR.
  • Wildlink123Wildlink123 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    KillCard said:
    KillCard said:
    For me not much happened at first but after a while I started noticing Judder in real life, lol.
    I have this same "feeling/experiance"  I keep getting visual "slip" like when the headset looses tracking for a moment.  I even "see" it in bed with my eyes closed!!

Very odd, but also entertaining lol

I never had it prior to getting my Rift.
    Right? .. yea it used to happen especially whenever something moved past me .. like standing on the sidewalk and a car flew by .. something about the detection of "sudden movement" triggered a visual response similar to the judder/skip you experience in VR sometimes.

Havent seen it in a year though ... was definitely a trip.
    I also experienced this a lot after getting my rift. I would be outside, looking down at something, and a car would appear to "lag" past me when it drew my attention. How odd. Must be something that happens to quite a few people 
  • cleanupdisccleanupdisc Posts: 210
    Nexus 6
    edited October 2018
    Playing skyrim in vr i move my head to look up and down. Then when playing on my hdtv/monitor i instinctively tried looking up and down to look around and nothing happens. I felt so unsatisfied!
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,394 Valuable Player
    We have had this issue since the 1960's when the first dedicated visual flight simulators came into effect on wide-scale adoption. Those back then used "model boards" but still game enough of a immersive effect that pilots would report "phasing" (the person feels as if they are still taking part in the simulation even in real life). This was best illustrated by the number of RTA's that took place on base that were blamed on "phasing".

Back in 1996 we worked on a VR project that also had the same problem, people felt they were still in the sim after finishing. It was weird as I experienced it myself. That slight feeling of disconnectedness. Jump forward to recently and I had "phasing" again - this time though it was slightly different. It was associated with the latest PC Backpack VR experiences. 

I think this is always going to be with us - the tech equivalent to "sea-legs".
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • NeokinNeokin Posts: 83
    Hiro Protagonist
    Playing skyrim in vr i move my head to look up and down. Then when playing on my hdtv/monitor i instinctively tried looking up and down to look around and nothing happens. I felt so unsatisfied!

Pancake games will never feel the same after VR. They're too restrictive!
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,738 Volunteer Moderator
    kevinw729 said:
    We have had this issue since the 1960's when the first dedicated visual flight simulators came into effect on wide-scale adoption. Those back then used "model boards" but still game enough of a immersive effect that pilots would report "phasing" (the person feels as if they are still taking part in the simulation even in real life). This was best illustrated by the number of RTA's that took place on base that were blamed on "phasing".

Back in 1996 we worked on a VR project that also had the same problem, people felt they were still in the sim after finishing. It was weird as I experienced it myself. That slight feeling of disconnectedness. Jump forward to recently and I had "phasing" again - this time though it was slightly different. It was associated with the latest PC Backpack VR experiences. 

I think this is always going to be with us - the tech equivalent to "sea-legs".

Heh I love the term "phasing"  ...  makes it sound like I am coming out of the matrix.

"Honey are you alright, you seem a bit strange"
    "Oh, don't worry, I'm just phasing!"

homer simpson GIF
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,772 Valuable Player
    I don't really get the weird feeling afterwards at all now.  When I first tried VR (Rift era, not 90s, I can't remember feeling sick after playing it in the 90s) I felt this weird disconnect every now and then.  But now I'm fine.  The one time that VR did concern me was when I played DCS World for 3 hours straight.  At the time I hadn't even completely gotten my VR legs, I was ok in Onward but that was about it.  I started feeling weird in DCS about 45 minutes into it, but I kept playing.  Next thing you know it's been 3 hours.  I felt dizzy for 3 days straight after that.  I had forgotten that I played VR on the 2nd day and thought I was having heart problems causing me to be constantly dizzy.  When it passed on the 3rd day I had remembered the only thing I had done differently was play VR for such a long time.  I was afraid to use VR again, but eventually I just got back into gaming on it, but now I was completely cured of any of the motion sickness issues I had with the rift prior to that 3 hour session of DCS.  Only one game is able to make me feel weird now so far and that's The Forrest, probably because the sessions in that game are so long that the HMD starts to make the crown of my head actually hurt.

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,046
    Wintermute
    edited October 2018
    Erm, take a break from VR for 30 days and then re-try, if problem persist, please speak to your doctor! :)
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • KnightMasonKnightMason Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    edited October 2018
    I haven't had any waking issues like that. But I definitely dream in VR.
    I wake up thinking I cleared a bunch of dungeons and mined a bunch of ore in SkyrimVR and realized I did all that work for nothing.

The only good thing there is that I don't have the stupid grip button bug in my dreams. Where the analog grip button keeps acting like a turbo button when it's held halfway.

But I've been using VR since the 90's every weekend at the mall. If VR is really new to you then I would assume there would be some disconnect there. I don't remember that problem as a kid though.
  • dr304113dr304113 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Depersonalization Disorder. Look it up
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,539 Valuable Player
     But we are in VR......
    WAAAGH!
  • AlextendedAlextended Posts: 50
    Brain Burst
    edited March 7
    My funniest moment came one time I was casually testing out stuff in Contractors. I unexpectedly threw a grenade all wrong and it landed on my feet, I PANICKED (not for my life, just in-game) and instinctively ran away physically instead of using the analog stick, bumping into my desk and monitor in the process. Not too hard, but still, that was awkward, I'm glad I was alone.

I haven't had the opposite effect where real life feels like VR even in the first weeks of getting it. That would have been funny.
  • Swifty8008Swifty8008 Posts: 35
    Brain Burst
    edited March 7
    “Did you win your sword fight?"
    "Of course I won the *$*%#$ sword fight," Hiro says. "I'm the greatest sword fighter in the world."
    "And you wrote the software."
    "Yeah. That, too," Hiro says.” 
    ― Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash
  • FrostyBud777FrostyBud777 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    After playing for hours in vr, I would stare at my hands and feel like they were my vr hands lol. Picking up objects in real life was surreal. lol. Just throwing things was fun in real life then. lol 
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,111
    Wintermute
    I'm thinking about a new concept of in-between IRL-VR, we could call that a "VR decompression chamber" or, wait, what about "Mixed reality"? Mmmmm, should tradmark this one...

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• Go4ShtGo4Sht Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I'm actually feeling that right now.

I received my Rift about a week ago and the first weekend of use just occurred. At first I spent about 5-10mins 3 times a day under the hood as I am prone to motion sickness and by Sunday I spent about 30-1hr three times under the hood and have seriously felt some vertigo going on 24hrs later.

It impacts my hands mostly and sometimes when my head is tilted a bit I feel like the world has to 'snap' into place (like tracking was temporarily lost). It is very disconcerting feeling for sure. I am not personally a fan of this feeling and hope it eventually goes away.

This is surprisingly making work a bit more difficult.
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 400
    Nexus 6
    i think this is vr sickness. solved by ginger and holding the rift with one hand still so its not resting on the face entirely but some weight is going to the hand. i think the weight of the rift on the face is causing this feeling of being in vr when your not. looking at how i relate to this feeling and how i solve it.
  • socratatussocratatus Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited April 2
    I`ve only just recently got the VIVE VR and after a few days sessions I caught myself (in real life) staring at something on the ground intensely like I would when I`m in VR. It was just a pattern on the carpet. I`ve never done that before. Kinda creepy.

A new VR medical problem might one day turn up, especially if VR gets better with better resolution. It might be called something like "Detaching from reality psychosis."
  • fredrick8763fredrick8763 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    if you are experiencing this, that's a aside effect of using VR, you have to quit using it for couple of months and take a deep therapy to calm your eyes, maybe they are not suitable for you. 
  • DevianteDeviante Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited June 14
    I have had this same feeling after my first couple days with the rift s.  When I am not using it, there is this strange disconnect in my peripheral vision.
    Would be nice to know for sure that its not actually affecting my vision though.
    For now im just blaming it on the weed.