cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CV2

herne6210
Protege
Could Oculus please give some kind of official confirmation they have not abandoned the PC enthusiasts that kickstarted the whole damn project in the first place !

Just give me a CV1 with improved res and optics and I will be very happy. Call it a 1.5 but please give us something !!!
79 REPLIES 79

herne6210
Protege

Brixmis said:

Well imho there is no point in releasing CV2  next year - and maybe not the year after. If it has all the features that are expected, I venture that it would run like a pukeworthy slideshow on today's hardware.

After watching Sweviver's video on the Pimax in DCS World, it became abundantly clear (having only been suspected to that point) that we will need major performance increases to even only increase the FoV and resolution (as some here are saying should be done and released right now) let alone the real goodies that are purportedly coming with CV2. It seems the CPU is what's holding things back - and lets face it, there hasn't been the huge leaps and bounds made in CPU tech that we have had in other areas. Until we get either a large jump in processor performance, or far better optimisation on the software side, it would be folly to release such a headset right now - or even within a year or so.

Okay, Pimax' software is likely nowhere near as advanced as that of Oculus, but nevertheless I already see some sims not running well on anything less than the best performing hardware even on what we have now.

Wouldn't surprise me if they have CV2 pretty much sorted, and what is required is optimising it so that it can be operated by more than just those with very deep pockets - even when it is finally released.

As far as I see it, popular user owned hardware is the key. They don't want a Vive Probacle on their hands, after all.

Well in my case, My Rift is getting a bit worse for wear. It's had 1000's of hours of use in games such as Elite Dangerous, DCS and IL2. The mic is no longer serviceable, the display is starting to lack colour, looks very washed out, and I am thinking it might be time I look to replace it. 

I do not want to buy a like for like model, if an improvement is on the horizon. Indeed if I am forced to replace it pre CV2, then I will almost certainly be looking for for the best tech available at the time.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:
 ignoring how small the PCVR market is currently.
I been typing here for about 30mins now -- wanting to respond to this...

Let me ask - how would you fix the current PCVR market to make it grow/be better?

I ask because - without change in both allowing more hardware access to the HMD and therefore limiting what has access to the device - you won't see as much growth in software either.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well in my case, My Rift is getting a bit worse for wear. It's had 1000's of hours of use in games such as Elite Dangerous, DCS and IL2. The mic is no longer serviceable, the display is starting to lack colour, looks very washed out, and I am thinking it might be time I look to replace it. 

I do not want to buy a like for like model, if an improvement is on the horizon. Indeed if I am forced to replace it pre CV2, then I will almost certainly be looking for for the best tech available at the time.

I am with you there, those are the games I spend most of my time in as well.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:

Let me ask - how would you fix the current PCVR market to make it grow/be better?

The premise of the question is flawed because the "PCVR market" doesn't need to be fixed. It is a "niche" market. That niche is why less than 6,000 people on Earth bothered to back Pimax. It's the reason why HTC and Oculus have sold less than 10-million units "combined" since they both launched.
It's the reason that the Mobile Gaming Industry is larger than PC and Console "combined" as of this year:
If we rephrase your question to use a proper premise, then this is what your asking:
"How would you make a niche market less niche?"
Well what is the opposite of a niche when it comes to consumerism? The answer is: Mainstream.
It is the consumers who decide what is niche vs what is mainstream. When an organization like Facebook is trying to create a self-sustaining business model, it must rely on what the market (consumers) have dictated to be "mainstream." The market has spoken for years: PC is a niche.
It doesn't matter if we're talking Social Media, Standard 2D Gaming, or Virtual Reality. The mainstream market demands "mobility." There is nothing to fix here.
The bigger issue with your question is that you presume that "computer gaming" is what is driving the world forward. It is definitely not. Everything from Social Media, Video Entertainment, and Business Applications are driving the world forward. And the world does not need a power gaming desktop to achieve any of this. Which is why GO and Quest are the proper course of action for an organization trying to build a self-sustaining business model.

Now let me ask you a question: What would you do to create a self-sustaining business model if you were running your own Virtual Reality company?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Probably an actual long time user like yourself on the Board of Directors imho.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer

herne6210 said:

Just give me a CV1 with improved res and optics and I will be very happy. Call it a 1.5 but please give us something !!!

And make the same mistake as HTC?  Not recommended.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

herne6210 said:

And make the same mistake as HTC?  Not recommended.

Precisely! I'm still somewhat baffled at the number of people, even those with a long upstanding track record, are coming out of OC5 with a strong opinion that... Oculus should adopt HTC's business model lol

HiThere_
Superstar

dburne said:

I am with you there

Same here, my CV1 lenses were scratched from the start (because early on I forgot to warn each new user how the narrow CV1 faceplate would rip their glasses off and bang them right into the CV1 lenses as it did with mine), the faceplate is a mess (the glue didn't hold), and the rubber protection at the back of the headband has peeled off... After 2.5 years I'm the only who would dare stick my head in it really 🙂

So a CV1.5 would make sense for me, specially as an upgrade that works with the current sensors and Touch controls, which work fine for me and have aged fine (unlike the headset).

LZoltowski
Champion
If Oculus gave us a 1.5 now, that would mean that 2.0 would be pushed back even further, that would make no sense at all.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Mradr said:

The "PCVR" market was an incredibly difficult sell. Those that tried to proclaim it as a mainstream opportunity that would see over 5m sales in the first 24month have obviously left the stage too much humiliation. And those that now remain look upon their investment based on the previous hyperbole with some concern. None of the investment that went into development for PVR (from Indie to AAA studios) was for a "niche business". Many have shown serious surprise that this term is now being seriously used, especially how it was proffered at OC5. No way was well over $2billion paid into OVR for a "niche" business. Obviously the sales of CV1 have not panned out the way that was promised, but FB is keen to look at the wider social implications of VR, and sadly if PCVR is a niche then they will have to look father afield and that is where Standalone comes in.

To answer the question simply: you can not fix consumer PCVR, you have to redefine PCVR! Addressing if that is a viable business model for the type of investment needed in making PC high-end VR headsets. LG has decided to wait this out, and from the wreck that is WinMR there are others that see now that the concerns voiced back in 2016 had some validity. For those that enjoy their CV1... great, long may that continue, but this was not the market promised. For those investing in the future, a 24month pause may be in order to see if consumer VR can develop in the current climate.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959